DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Sears Tower, Chicago

Does anyone know a good spot to take off from and get some good shots of the sears tower in Chicago?
It is no longer Sears Tower. The name now is Willis Towers.

Willis Tower History | Skydeck Chicago History and Story

In 1988, Sears Roebuck and Company sold and moved out of the building, but the Sears Tower name remained until 2009 when the building was renamed after the Willis Group, a London- based global insurance broker.

Dale (born and raised in Chicago)
Miami since 1970.

@Dale D: sorry sir, but to all real Chicagoans, it'll always be Sears Tower. 😉

@MavicMiniPilot: There's a small park on the corner of Adams St and Desplaines St with good views. You should be able to take off from there (following all drone rules, of course).
I recall when it was built and of course, I went up to the observation tower. It will always be Sears to me too. I was born on the north side, 1938, Lived near Pulaski and Peterson, attended Senn HS, U. Illinois Pharmacy, and U. Illinois Med school here as well as Michael Reese Internship. As a kid, I delivered medical supplies to the Chicago Cubs at Wrigley Field from my dad's nearby drugstore! I am a real Chicagoan.

Dale
Miami

Reactions: JTZ and mavic3usa
Don't take offense, sir. It's only good natured ribbing.
I grew up in the Southside, then moved to Ashland and Augusta. I'm a Whitney Young H.S. alum and worked as a Chicago Police Officer until I retired, then moved West. Will always love the city, just not in the winter. Lol

Robert
Now a Californian.

Don't take offense, sir. It's only good natured ribbing.
I grew up in the Southside, then moved to Ashland and Augusta. I'm a Whitney Young H.S. alum and worked as a Chicago Police Officer until I retired, then moved West. Will always love the city, just not in the winter. Lol

Robert
Now a Californian.
Right now- I would not live in Chicago. I loved Richard Daly but after that, not so much. The condition of the city now is disgusting. Such a beautiful city, ruined by these idiot mayors. The crime rate and murder rate, shootings, and un-prosecuted crooks is disgusting. Of course this has nothing to do with drones, so I think the moderator will take issue and we should close this subject.

Dale.

I’m definitely risking getting banned from MavicPilots. Why does everyone have to be offended by everything? I get it that you have your own personal experiences at different places but it has led to the point where it is off topic and should not be mentioned on this forum. Nothing that was said was inappropriate but it was just off topic. This is a drone forum!

Reactions: RoarRoar
@Dale D: sorry sir, but to all real Chicagoans, it'll always be Sears Tower. 😉

@MavicMiniPilot: There's a small park on the corner of Adams St and Desplaines St with good views. You should be able to take off from there (following all drone rules, of course).
That might work, but looks like there are some pretty tall buildings between that park and Willis.
Could also consider Oscar DeAngleo Park- at Franklin and Harrison, fly out over the river and get a decent view. Its also possible that even there might be too close to get the top of the tower.
See the circled park I marked "2" on the screenshot:
Screen Shot 2023-06-17 at 10.55.43 AM.png

Reactions: JTZ
Too many witnesses and you're just asking for trouble.
Its not illegal, nor are either of those parks high traffic. By the lakefront and all along Grant park, the police are pretty down on drone flyers- when there's a lot of people. Well, Grant Park most of the time, but those 2 parks I doubt anyone will give you a problem.

Its not illegal, nor are either of those parks high traffic. By the lakefront and all along Grant park, the police are pretty down on drone flyers- when there's a lot of people. Well, Grant Park most of the time, but those 2 parks I doubt anyone will give you a problem.
Yeah I guess those two areas highlighted look doable. I lived in Chicago and had people trying to steal my bike if I just rested on a bench with my eyes closed along the lake front. Can or will a person maintain VLOS? Believe me I am not a stickler on the rules and break VLOS every flight but I live in the desert of NM. Maybe find a parking garage and go to the top floor and take off from there. But for me, too many people.

That might work, but looks like there are some pretty tall buildings between that park and Willis.
Could also consider Oscar DeAngleo Park- at Franklin and Harrison, fly out over the river and get a decent view. Its also possible that even there might be too close to get the top of the tower.
See the circled park I marked "2" on the screenshot:
View attachment 165319
I think the most dramatic shot would be to fly east towards the lake, down the river at a 100 feet height over several bridges. Trying to get as close to the river edge for take off for better line of sight.

Dale
(ex-Chicagoan).

I think the most dramatic shot would be to fly east towards the lake, down the river at a 100 feet height over several bridges. Trying to get as close to the river edge for take off for better line of sight.

Dale
(ex-Chicagoan).
There's lots of interesting views - if you aren't opposed to driving a bit. Or afraid of urban environments.Cermak-Canal_pano_IMG_4843-900pxWeb.jpg0324_ChiRiver-dusk-900px-cpyrt.jpgMontroseHbr_sunrise_0809-Pano-1200px.jpg

Thanks Dale. Where in Chicago did you used to live?
and where in Miami now? You definitely have more opportunity to fly & great subject matter within easy reach down there...

Thanks Dale. Where in Chicago did you used to live?
and where in Miami now? You definitely have more opportunity to fly & great subject matter within easy reach down there...
Hi Jeff:

I was born on the north side (Roger's Park) at a hospital that no longer exists (Ravenswood). I grew up near the water pumping station at Clarendon and Montrose Avenue. My dad had a sort of famous drug store at Buena and Broadway near the old Sheridan Road movie theatre and a mile from Wrigley Field. I got to deliver drug store supplies to the Cubbies as a kid. We finally moved out to Peterson and Crawford and I went to Senn High School followed by U.Illinois College of Pharmacy (4 years) and U. Illinois College of Medicine 4 years. Then to Michael Reese Hospital for internship. Finally left Chicago for further training. (Washington U. St. Louis).

Finished training with a fellowship at U.Miami ophthalmology. In Miami I live near Old Cutler Road and Biscayne Bay around the Snapper Creek Marina.
I have a lot of opportunities to fly in Miami except for the red zones where I must stay under 100feet which is just fine for me.
Dale

I know all these areas well. I grew up in the South Shore. 68th & Jeffery.
But after college my first apt. was at Dakin & Sheridan. Behind the Sheridan/Irving L stop.
Then moved to Rogers Park- by Loyola.

Then to I lived just off Granville in 3 different places from 1981-2000- Granville east of Damen, then Ravenswood, then Washtenaw.
And last 23 yrs 5 blocks north still on Washtenaw by Albion.

But funnier yet, I was actually born in Miami, Coral Gables to be specific because my parents were going to University of Miami at the time and my grandparents lived in Coral Gables. And I was back-and-forth between Chicago and Coral Gables up until the mid-1990s.

I know all these areas well. I grew up in the South Shore. 68th & Jeffery.
But after college my first apt. was at Dakin & Sheridan. Behind the Sheridan/Irving L stop.
Then moved to Rogers Park- by Loyola.

Then to I lived just off Granville in 3 different places from 1981-2000- Granville east of Damen, then Ravenswood, then Washtenaw.
And last 23 yrs 5 blocks north still on Washtenaw by Albion.

But funnier yet, I was actually born in Miami, Coral Gables to be specific because my parents were going to University of Miami at the time and my grandparents lived in Coral Gables. And I was back-and-forth between Chicago and Coral Gables up until the mid-1990s.
Of course this discussion has nothing at all to do with drones but , hey, what the heck, we' re having fun here. So we actually have a lot in common. Perhaps you may recall the famous Ashkenaz Restaurant , the Jewish deli in Rogers Park. Well, that was my great uncle (my dad's brother) who owned it. Don't know if you recall Ravenswood Hospital, my birthplace! And my dad's drug store, The Stratford Drugs store on Buena and Broadway, and later my dad bought a pharmacy in the Uptown Bank Building across from the Uptown Theatre. I worked there helping him fill prescriptions.
I was alien to the South Side. I only went there on rare occasions (visited the stock market). It was like a different city. I once dated a girl on the south side but the commute was an hour each way so I broke it up.

I once managed a Rexall Drug Store in Downtown Chgo when I was moonlighting in med school for some $.

So now, I never go back to Chicago. My parents moved down here and they both lived out their lives in Bal Harbour.
I recall my Med School graduation at Mc Cormack Place. And the numerous drone videos of Navy Pier and the Ferris wheel ( which I never saw) bring back memories.I took summer school classes in Navy Pier. I will soon be 85, but still loving life, traveling, and flying my drones.

Dale
Dale Davis Photography

Reactions: LawMan513
I’m definitely risking getting banned from MavicPilots. Why does everyone have to be offended by everything? I get it that you have your own personal experiences at different places but it has led to the point where it is off topic and should not be mentioned on this forum. Nothing that was said was inappropriate but it was just off topic. This is a drone forum!
I thought the question was about where to take off, not whether you like the local politics. Did I miss something?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sevimli