DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Seeing the gimbal assembly has lowered my confidence

D

Deleted member 24841

After a year of trouble free flying I had a minor crash last week , no mystery about that, it got caught in a branch and dropped just a few feet. It was my fault and it appeared to be just prop damage. Unfortunately, I had the gimbal overload error and so had to replace the ribbon cable. The cable hadn't snapped, but was stressed ( a bit like me!). I replaced it successfully, but I was really disappointed at how fragile the whole assembly was and to be honest it's killed my confidence with the Mavic. If an upgraded/redesigned gimbal was available I'd go for it.

After a year of trouble free flying I had a minor crash last week , no mystery about that, it got caught in a branch and dropped just a few feet. It was my fault and it appeared to be just prop damage. Unfortunately, I had the gimbal overload error and so had to replace the ribbon cable. The cable hadn't snapped, but was stressed ( a bit like me!). I replaced it successfully, but I was really disappointed at how fragile the whole assembly was and to be honest it's killed my confidence with the Mavic. If an upgraded/redesigned gimbal was available I'd go for it.

It's a balancing act though isn't it? Construction needs to be lightweight in order to help with stabilisation. The sturdier it is, then the heavier it is and the more load it puts on the technology and the battery in order to remain as responsive. Better battery tech will enable stronger construction in future.

It's a balancing act though isn't it? Construction needs to be lightweight in order to help with stabilisation. The sturdier it is, then the heavier it is and the more load it puts on the technology and the battery in order to remain as responsive. Better battery tech will enable stronger construction in future.
I agree, just feel that ribbon could have been designed without the need to fold and crease it. I also agree battery technology is advancing rapidly!

Out of all of the DJI drone forums I frequent, the Mavic Pro seems to be the drone needing the most camera/gimbal related repairs. It'll be interesting to see the camera/gimbal design for the Mavic 2. I'm assuming it's going to be built better and thus we'll see less people needing to repair them.

My Mavic Plat crashed sideways into a tree immediately after first auto take off, and then a second time straight up into my ceiling on auto-RTH. I have noticeable cracks on both landing struts and had to reseat the gimbal back under the plate, but it still works fine. So to me it was more robust than appearance.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000