DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Seeking Pilot Education - going back to a specific spot

Feather Ridge

Reactions
I have to fly off a back deck and locate a specific tree. Then the tree guy can go down and identify who's property it's on. What's the best and easiest way to save that exact location so we can go back to that tree the next day? Flying a 2 Pro Zoom.

I have to fly off a back deck and locate a specific tree. Then the tree guy can go down and identify who's property it's on. What's the best and easiest way to save that exact location so we can go back to that tree the next day? Flying a 2 Pro Zoom.
From the manual:
"Record a flight path, then the aircraft will fly along the same path repeatedly while you control the camera and orientation. The flight path can be saved and reused in the future."

In the camera settings menu scroll down and switch "video captions" on.
Approaching the target start recording video.
When you reach the target RTH, let if fly back towards you for a bit then stop the recording.
The RTH will give you a straight track on maps pointing to the target and the video, played in the likes of VLC on your computer, would give you the coordinates if you use the SRT file as subtitles.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: CatsFPV

I use Litchi and then record the coordinates. Keep in mind it's not "to the tree accurate" so you may need to fly the aircraft and hover over the tree to let the "Tree Guy" see which tree is in question.

I clearly see your challenge. The coordinates can locate the spot on the ground. I just hope the tree guy can identify the right tree from beneath the canopy vs from above. If it is a dense grove of trees, that’ll be tricky.

sorry for my ignorance, where do I record a flight path?
  1. Power on both the remote controller and the drone.
  2. Tap the intelligent flight modes icon on left side of DJI GO.
  3. Tap the Waypoints icon
  4. At this point, you are now ready to begin creating your new mission where you can set waypoints or fly to the waypoint and record it for future use.
All this is in manual as well as YouTube videos.

Reactions: BigAl07
You can also just take a photo when directly above the tree. The photo should be automatically geotagged with the coordinates.

You can also just take a photo when directly above the tree. The photo should be automatically geotagged with the coordinates.
It should be in the photo's metadata as far as coordinates. I'm not sure how accurate they are I suppose it would depend on how good of a GPS signal your AC has at the time.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andrefu