DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Seniors; What aides have you come up with to help you enjoy flying more?

Since I am still spry enough to get up from a low chair (it may not be pretty to watch), I have got me a hunters swivel chair for a duck blind. I can lean back taking the load off

Mind reader! That's next on my agenda. Just because I can stand for a few hours doesn't mean I always should. I don't know what possessed me to Certify as a commercial RePL at this point age and recovery wise, well I do, I want to employ my kids and leave them a business but in the mean time now that I have gone to the expense and trouble and come out of full retirement to found an R.P.A. based business I have to accept there are going to be long days on the job meeting the customers needs.

I am currently searching for the "sweet spot" in a chair between stability, portability and some articulated movement and perhaps a stable surface attachment would be ace. The search continues.

Regards
Ari

I am 69 and have a major problem with keeping my balance when switching from checking my controller to searching the sky for the drone. Also when I am twisting to see the drone, I can lose my balance. Since I am still spry enough to get up from a low chair (it may not be pretty to watch), I have got me a hunters swivel chair for a duck blind. I can lean back taking the load off my herniated disk, and quickly turn should I fly nearly over my head so I can keep the drone in sight.

I had found a web site called seniors in the know where I found bifocal safety glasses that double for me as sunglasses. They are great. I drilled a hole in the frame to mount the Vufine mini monitor.

I know how you feel. When I need to calibrate a compass, I gets the "spins" similar to intoxication.

You don't know HOW hard it was not to remark on what a fine memory you have :D

Dymuniadau gorau
Ari
thanks luckily its one of the few things that still works most of the time now where the heck did i put my car keys

Mmmmm could have some possibilities
God I love working for Harbor Freight....
My wife has her reservations for some reason15500829563059051147035860140247.jpg

Reactions: TheWolfen
Well that discounted McD coffee sounds like they are offering you something special but it happens to be the same price as their standard charge for a coffee, so although it sounds good, they are not really offering a senior any kind of a discount.

Sounds like Dennys senior discount.. Half the amount of food w/ only a
25% reduction in price... WTF ????????
Now if they would offer a 'Grand Slam' breakfast w/ a reduced price,
well. then that would be an actual SENIOR DISCOUNT .(PERIOD)
Can't Dennys realize that we are SENIORS, not senile ????

Last edited:
Reactions: Former Member
One thing I like about my Astronomy chair is it lays flat and mine has a removable seat for easy storage. Same with the Televue air chair

A buddy of mine uses the Alera plus from Staples. It's a bit more difficult to adjust but has a back.

Wow, $225 for a chair ??? You can buy a drummers seat for < $50
from Musicians Warehouse or Guitar Center. Serves the same purpose ..

Reactions: Former Member
Wow, $225 for a chair ??? You can buy a drummers seat for < $50
from Musicians Warehouse or Guitar Center. Serves the same purpose ..

I'm still looking, due to partial abdominal and mediastinal paralysis I'm going to need a good back rest for long periods, I mean I can walk 10km and stand upright unaided (their not sure how I do but I do) but about 3 hours is as long as I can stay upright wearing a harness and the controller before the fatigue gets me. Some of my jobs go way longer than that.

Besides ..... after playing and teaching Guitar for a total of 48 years I'm going to risk being mistaken for a percussionist? *shudder* ;)

Regards
Ari

Last edited:
Thanks for posting this thread lots of good information and a few laughs to go along with the information. Love the shoulder strap can you let us know where to get one. Remember the joy of warm weather is right around the corner. Fly safe my friends

Mmmmm could have some possibilities
God I love working for Harbor Freight....
My wife has her reservations for some reasonView attachment 62874
Hahaha! I bet she does! My wife groans whenever she hears I'm going to HF but she also knows I save money when I choose to get stuff there! The stool isn't terribly portable but comfy seating would be nice!

One thing I like about my Astronomy chair is it lays flat and mine has a removable seat for easy storage. Same with the Televue air chair

A buddy of mine uses the Alera plus from Staples. It's a bit more difficult to adjust but has a back.
I've seen that astronomy chair before back in my more serious stargazing days but was never willing to spend the money on it. I never considered getting one for UAV flights, even though standing while flying kills my back. The model at Staples looks very interesting, possibly more comfortable and a bit cheaper. Have you compared it's comfort with your chair, especially for back support?

Screen visibility and interpretation was a challenge for me as I first got into flying, first my Phantom 2's and now my Mavics. I first used the multi-channel 5.8 GHz Flysight monitor for flying the P2+ with Zenmuse gimbals and GoPro Hero 3+ black cameras as well as my P2 Vision Plus birds. That helped and seemed the pinnacle for me at the time. I later bought an iPad 4 Mini for flying my first Mavic Pro. Even that wasn't enough for me so I bought an iPad Pro 10.25" which works great for my needs.

But after trying a couple of different tablet mounts for my controller I found that I needed a better way of managing a handful of antennas, display and the controller at once. I went for this camera tripod mounting system that frees up my controller which connects to the Titan Switch antenna package and iPad Pro display through a 10' long spiral wrapped cable bundle.

I have to acknowledge forum member sea157 for giving me the idea and tips!

View attachment 59584 View attachment 59585 View attachment 59586 View attachment 59587 View attachment 59588 View attachment 59589

I can't think of a more suitable configuration that fills my needs for mapping, surveying, and pleasure flying my MP1.

Screen visibility and interpretation was a challenge for me as I first got into flying, first my Phantom 2's and now my Mavics. I first used the multi-channel 5.8 GHz Flysight monitor for flying the P2+ with Zenmuse gimbals and GoPro Hero 3+ black cameras as well as my P2 Vision Plus birds. That helped and seemed the pinnacle for me at the time. I later bought an iPad 4 Mini for flying my first Mavic Pro. Even that wasn't enough for me so I bought an iPad Pro 10.25" which works great for my needs.

But after trying a couple of different tablet mounts for my controller I found that I needed a better way of managing a handful of antennas, display and the controller at once. I went for this camera tripod mounting system that frees up my controller which connects to the Titan Switch antenna package and iPad Pro display through a 10' long spiral wrapped cable bundle.

I have to acknowledge forum member sea157 for giving me the idea and tips!

I can't think of a more suitable configuration that fills my needs for mapping, surveying, and pleasure flying my MP1.

I know I'm a little late to these posts but I have to say... At least your setup has no impact on the portability of the Mavic! [emoji23][emoji23][emoji6] Seriously, though, I bet it's awesome to use. I'm having major screen visibility issues in the sunlight using my wife's old Samsung galaxy s6. Wish I could justify the cost of a Crystalsky! Someday!

I use these:

DJI Inspire Strap

Got the above from Micro Center when they were blowing them out for $2.00 each. No neck tension at all, strictly shoulders and upper back. I use a iPad Mini 4 with a holder and a Hoodman, so the weight is distributed over non critical areas.

Freestyle Rocker

This is a lifesaver. The pistons allow the rocker to stay firmly on the ground, so you can't tip over. The beverage holder is, well, you know....... mandatory.

FT Aviator

Can't wait for this to arrive next month. With the arthritus in both thumbs any sense of precision control of my Mavic is a myth. This stick should eliminate that, so I'll know that it's me and my ability taking crappy video [emoji14]

Hopefully these items along with my DJI Goggles should allow me to continue flying for some time.

Of course if I really screw up I also use a Marco Polo tracker.

Jake
Have you gotten the FT Aviator yet? I'm really interested in seeing how well this works...

I went looking for a way to attach a lanyard on the sides so it didn't block viewing and bought this some time back and love it! The seller was very helpful too. I use it with an Optech camera strap.

Reactions: TRuav
I have read this entire thread and am left amazed and encouraged, and still chuckling from some of the posts. I am lucky enough to be completely healthy at 67 with only minor limitations, glasses, hearing aids, and ... ah.... what was the last one I was trying to think of ..... ah... oh yah, short term memory loss. I hope I am still flying for many years to come.

Reactions: old man mavic
I have read this entire thread and am left amazed and encouraged, and still chuckling from some of the posts. I am lucky enough to be completely healthy at 67 with only minor limitations, glasses, hearing aids, and ... ah.... what was the last one I was trying to think of ..... ah... oh yah, short term memory loss. I hope I am still flying for many years to come.
dont worry about the short term memory loss ,hang on a minute, oh yes thats what the RTH button is for if, you forget where it is combined with not being able to see it either

I've seen that astronomy chair before back in my more serious stargazing days but was never willing to spend the money on it. I never considered getting one for UAV flights, even though standing while flying kills my back. The model at Staples looks very interesting, possibly more comfortable and a bit cheaper. Have you compared it's comfort with your chair, especially for back support?
I fly with a buddy who has a very bad back and he prefers the Staples model. I just feel the seat is a bit more difficult to adjust but that might be because it's brand new. The Staples chair might be more stable on soft ground because of how the legs are shaped. On mine the front legs tend to sink in soft soil.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Allen25