DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Sensors saved me from BIRDS.

Wow,definitely a close call.I have read that if you put a red skin decal on the mavic birds are supposed to stay clear.It may be worth a try but it might not make a difference.

Thanks. Was thinking of some sort of 'eyes'. Strange this is (And I'm not a spiritual person), these birds only bugged me when I flew towards the church. I was hanging around over a grave yard for about 15 minutes... but only when I went near the church, did these 'angry birds' get cross... Ghosts? ;)

I'm guessing a bird strike with a dove (I'm no bird dewd... well, not this type... ;) ) would result in an injured dove, and probably a broken Mavic?

Luckily I haven't encountered birds yet.I do live on the coast and I have yet to fly around the beach and cliffs for fear of a seagull bringing down my mavic.You say they only bothered you when close to the church.Maybe they are nesting up in them towers.If they had young in the nests their behaviour would make sense.Just a thought.[emoji106]

Has anyone actually ever hit a bird? Or vice versa? I had some close encounters but the birds seem to be just trying to intimidate the drone..

Check this video at 0:17 - that's a pretty small bird and given how wide the camera is, it must have been pretty close, definitely closer than just a chance encounter... same video at 4:15 - that guy would probably easily grab the Mavic a mess it up if he wanted to..

Yeah that happens to me all the time here in South Dakota, lots of birds and birds of prey, I tell ya the worst ones are sparrows.Get to close to their nest and it seems like hundreds come out and try to take your drone out. I don't have the footage because it just happens to much that I don't keep it.

hundreds come out and try to take your drone out.

right. but are they more like "angry birds" trying to intimidate something they don't know but won't ever attack or will one of them eventually grow a pair and kamikaze you?

right. but are they more like "angry birds" trying to intimidate something they don't know but won't ever attack or will one of them eventually grow a pair and kamikaze you?
They swarm the drone until I leave, they'll follow me, I was getting a shot of some abandoned building that was about 300 yards away and they followed my Mavic to my car and until I got close to the ground.

No big surprise. Birds see our drones as birds of prey or invaders, so they will try to divert you or run you off. I fly around our marina, and the swallows will swarm at times. Back out of their territory, and all is well.

Reactions: jerryflah
But will they actually ever go for the drone and try and take it down?
I fly in countryside wooded valley in uk, when my mavic is up I always get pigeons and crows taking an interest but none have intentionally swooped me yet. YouTube has lots of bird strikes though.

Credit to DJI.

The front sensing sensors work on birds passing by close. **** flock nearly trashed my Mavic while on holiday in Portugal. Extreme close.

I was shaking aftwards. They had 3 passes. I'd say within a meter. Wow.
Awesome how the Mavics loaded with friendly features that can help with a dramatic 'save from critical' situation like yours. Understand you shaking...Ive been there.

Thanks. ...these birds only bugged me when I flew towards the church. I was hanging around over a grave yard for about 15 minutes... but only when I went near the church, did these 'angry birds' get cross... Ghosts? ;)

Pigeons tend to circle around in a flock in order to get their bearings... seems you were just in their path me thinks...

Credit to DJI.

The front sensing sensors work on birds passing by close. **** flock nearly trashed my Mavic while on holiday in Portugal. Extreme close.

I was shaking aftwards. They had 3 passes. I'd say within a meter. Wow.
Pigeons ROOST in open structures like these steeples. It was their attempt to discourage the 'intruder'. Super cool to see the Mavic perform as designed.

Has anyone actually ever hit a bird? Or vice versa? I had some close encounters but the birds seem to be just trying to intimidate the drone..

Check this video at 0:17 - that's a pretty small bird and given how wide the camera is, it must have been pretty close, definitely closer than just a chance encounter... same video at 4:15 - that guy would probably easily grab the Mavic a mess it up if he wanted to..

You ventured into Pereigrine Falcon environment habitat at sec.17. you were definitely lucky to get out in tact.

While your OA worked it didnt really save you from a crash in this case. The rate at which the birds flew through the frame shows they were out of the way by the time the aircraft reacted. If OA were disabled you still wouldve been OK in this case.

Reactions: scooot

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair