DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Shakey camera in sport mode - normal or something I can fix?

niclariv

Reactions
Hi all

Sorry for my various posts looking for help.. I think I've 'almost' got everything to do with my Mavic figured out, but there's a couple more things I want to sort out.

The first is this:
When I fly full out in sports mode, there's a bump that occurs during filming. Well, there's a couple of bumps. First there's bumps when I first push the right stick forward and when I stop, fair enough I figure, probably nothing the gimbal can do to compensate for the sudden starts and stops, but then there's also a bunch of bumps while in motion, even though I'm flying steadily ahead. My phone also displays constant gimbal pitch limit reached notifications (not just one, but the message pops up repeatedly on top of itself). Are these notifications and bumps normal?

I know that sport mode isn't really made for filming, but if I could make it work without those bumps it would certainly be useful. I often find myself speeding up long shots of landscapes in editing, which is all good unless it's a shot where you can see people walking and they look like they're walking weirdly fast. Filming a car driving, it would be great to be able to film while flying fast as well.

Here's an example of the bump. This was filmed in very low wind conditions, and it's consistent with the bump in sport mode I always have. What do you say?

Also to give you a little more troubleshooting background, I did an IMU calibration and gimbal calibration because I was having some jello issues in bright sun. Haven't had jello since then so maybe that solved it. I didn't fly too much in sport mode before I did this so I can't say for sure if it was bumpy in sport mode before the IMU cal or not. For the record I did check the floor I did the IMU cal with a level before I did it, and I left the props on during the calibration like in the picture the phone shows while doing it (but unlike DJI's instructional video that says to take them off - it seems there's some lack of clarity there - you'd think that would be important because having the props on would change the angle of the Mavic on the floor slightly).

Hi, I actually had the same issue a few days ago. When flying in sport mode you can reach 40 mph. Without the gimbal shield over the camera all that air and wind will slam into the gimbal causing it to shake. Try putting the gimbal shield on over it.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

I've tried that, but the result is even shakier - more of a constant shake. Plus then you get more sun glare etc.. I tried a bunch of tests with the bubble on because DJI told me that would solve my jello issue, but it made for much worse filming, even not in sport mode (sometimes the bubble will vibrate and in the right light you can see it vibrating in the whole frame). Did you try that yourself and find it to fly smoothly with the bubble?

I've tried that, but the result is even shakier - more of a constant shake. Plus then you get more sun glare etc.. I tried a bunch of tests with the bubble on because DJI told me that would solve my jello issue, but it made for much worse filming, even not in sport mode (sometimes the bubble will vibrate and in the right light you can see it vibrating in the whole frame). Did you try that yourself and find it to fly smoothly with the bubble?

It did... did you make sure the gimbal tabs are in correctly?

Just to clarify, that's in sport mode full out and you find it smooth with the bubble on? Yeah my tabs are fine.

Yes.. in normal mode the problem goes away. I've flown in windy conditions as well and will get the violent shaking because the gimbal isn't very strong. I flew in sport mode and it would move and jerk like crazy but when I put the bubble it stopped.

Hmmm.. well maybe I'll do a few more tests with the bubble, but it would be good to know if there's a way of filming in Sport Mode without the bubble without shake - just because even if the bubble were to get rid of the shake for me, it increases sun flair quite a lot.

Has anyone done an IMU calibration who can say for sure whether you should take the props off (like in the DJI instruction video) or leave them on (like in the photo the app shows you when doing the calibration)? Maybe that slight tilt from having the props on during calibration is contributing to my issue?

Not trying to step on any toes but it's a bad idea to fly with the gimbal cover on the mavic can actually over heat there is a cooling fan right behind the gimbal. It's pretty much like a radiator on a car cools the engine and if it gets blocked it can over heat the engine.

Sent from my SM-N910V using MavicPilots mobile app

Reactions: younumpty
Not trying to step on any toes but it's a bad idea to fly with the gimbal cover on the mavic can actually over heat there is a cooling fan right behind the gimbal. It's pretty much like a radiator on a car cools the engine and if it gets blocked it can over heat the engine.

Sent from my SM-N910V using MavicPilots mobile app
That has been discussed in other threads, and I think it's a little up in the air (pun not intended). When I emailed DJI support about my jello issue the response was actually to always fly with the gimbal cover for what it's worth... which might not be much, because in my tests I found that the gimbal cover adds a lot of extra glare from the sun, which looks really terrible when it starts to vibrate in the right light and AC movement. There's no way the sample shots in DJI's promo video were filmed with the gimbal cover on.. although in most of the shots of the Mavic flying the gimbal cover is on. When I tried it I was actually a little surprised, I thought it would make the image worse than it did. But I think when the Mavic is flying around a lot of cooling air going by the heat sync on the bottom probably helps keep it cool enough, and Im sure it's got an internal temp gauge that would warn the user if it was overheating. Still, I don't plan on flying with the gimbal cover on.

While I've got someone else on this thread, how smooth is sport mode full out for you? Do you get a bump similar to the one I get when filming along with pitch limit reached warnings, or is it smooth?

I'm also getting some random bumbs in sport mode. I just had a feeling that in your video they are happening a bit too often. Usually in my case, I am able to remove those parts with some video editing. But if they are happening mid flight, it's a little bit annoying.

I also get the pitch limit reached warnings very often.

Thanks! I figured it out. A gimbal auto calibration fixed it for me. Now it's much smoother in sport mode.. however I'm still suffering from jello in harsh light (as in aimed at the sun reflecting off the ocean). I tried another IMU calibration, this time being extremely picky with a level.. Hopefully this time fixes it, but I'll have to wait for the sun again tomorrow to know for sure.

Last edited:
Hi, after my previous reply on this thread, I decided to make a few test flights only to find out that I have a lot of micro shakes during sport mode. The micro shakes appear only in sport mode and especially the moment I start moving forward by pulling 100% the right stick. I also get micro shakes when I am already moving forward and try to stop by letting the right stick free from 100%. During the micro shakes I get a warning: Gimbal Pitch Reached Movement Limit.

I have tried gimbal calibration on a steady level surface more than once. I have not tried to fly with the cover as I don't like the idea of having more glare.

I am wondering if this is normal for everybody or if there might be a defect with my gimbal. If it's normal, I 'll try to live with it, if not, I 'll try opening a case with DJI.

Last edited:
That has been discussed in other threads, and I think it's a little up in the air (pun not intended). When I emailed DJI support about my jello issue the response was actually to always fly with the gimbal cover for what it's worth... which might not be much, because in my tests I found that the gimbal cover adds a lot of extra glare from the sun, which looks really terrible when it starts to vibrate in the right light and AC movement. There's no way the sample shots in DJI's promo video were filmed with the gimbal cover on.. although in most of the shots of the Mavic flying the gimbal cover is on. When I tried it I was actually a little surprised, I thought it would make the image worse than it did. But I think when the Mavic is flying around a lot of cooling air going by the heat sync on the bottom probably helps keep it cool enough, and Im sure it's got an internal temp gauge that would warn the user if it was overheating. Still, I don't plan on flying with the gimbal cover on.

While I've got someone else on this thread, how smooth is sport mode full out for you? Do you get a bump similar to the one I get when filming along with pitch limit reached warnings, or is it smooth?

Sport mode no bubble 45 mph and not a hint of a shake or bump. For what it's worth. Do you have the gimbal set to pitch up the extra 30 degrees? If so turn it off.. only time ever got gimbal maxing out error. Maybe unique to some Mavics as seems you're not alone..

Fly safe... :)

Reactions: davmcw
thanks, I had it off, but I was thinking to try it on and see, so that it could give some more space to gimbal's movement.
once I try it I will post the results

Now that I've done the gimbal calibration my sport mode is relatively smooth for the most part once in motion.. though there's still a shake when I start and stop moving, and I'm getting the gimbal pitch limit reached here and there, though is seems like that message comes up less than before I did the calibration, and the difference in shake is noticeable. Not sure what to suggest since you've already done it, except maybe also do an IMU calibration. For me I'm probably still going to have to send mine back to DJI for jello issues, but as fast as shakes in sport mode those are better now.

iPhone 6S

I plan to try IMU calibration and perhaps changing propellers to see if that helps. Unfortunately I can only test during weekends . As soon as I have news I will report back

It looks like the gimbal is bumping the stops due to the quite extreme angle at sport mode speed.
That's going to be worse if going into the wind even a light wind.
Not sure what else is going on, trying to accelerate and decelerate more gently rather than going straight to 100% might help.

I too have the gimbal micro shakes issue in Normal mode and in sports mode. Its especially visible with sudden front to back and back to front flying . I did adjust advanced EXP settings and it is MUCH BETTER but not fully cured. None of my other DJI Drones ever did this....So why the Mavic you ask? Because the Gimbal assembly is Garbage. Worst design i have seen....Its pretty much held up by 4 little rubber bands and gravity......Nothing else!!!!!! So any sudden change in direction and the gimbal cannot handle it........Its upsetting.....Im pretty sure everyone has this issue. I bought a 2nd Mavic pro on my credit card to see if it had same issue..... and it did.... so I returned it.....
GIMBAL MICRO SHAKE also called GIMBAL WHIPLASH.....its horrible on this model and there needs to be a Recall

I think there's more to it than that. I made a little compilation video of the bumps and shakes and sent it to DJI, they said to return the drone. The repair feedback says they're replacing the camera and gimbal - but it's said 'under repair' since yesterday. Funny that in their form it estimates it will only take them two hours of work to do that.

iPhone 6S

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000