DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Should I return my new drone?

• Thread starter Deleted member 125445
  • Start date
I am also a new pilot and one of the first things I did in this forum was to ask what Line of Sight meant - particularly in light of all of the videos I have seen of people flying their drones far past the line of sight. My take away from the responses I recieved has helped me form the foundation of how I want to try to approach this wonderful hobby/sport.

The main rule I try to live by is: Be responsible and considerate of others - one of the reasons for the Line of Sight rule as I see it is safety - this is particularly important in how it relates to how my use of my drone might effect other people. Flying in a way to avoid causing problems for my neighbors and or others in the area I am flying. So using line of sight and or the view I see on my mobile phone while flying will help me to try to maintain control of my drone while avoiding potential situations that could hurt someone - cause an accident and so on. I do fly beyond my Line of Sight at times, but I always know the orientation of my drone, (either thru sight or by my controllers Map and camera view from the Drone)

Bottom line, I am respectful of others and I never fly in places where an unforeseen crash or loss of control might cause hurt or mayhem.

I really enjoy flying and even with those kinds of restrictions I can still get a thrill from seeing our world from a whole different perspective. I hope you find your answers and wish you lots of luck and enjoyment of your new Drone.
Thanks for your response. My takeaway from many of the responses to my original post is, that if you can't see your drone, you can't fly it. I believe that the safest way to fly a drone is by watching its screen. I feel like I have this great new car parked in my driveway, but the government only allows me to drive it around the block. The line of sight rule is a joy killer. At this point, my new hobby looks like a non-starter, and the drone will probably be returned for a refund instead of sitting in a closet collecting dust.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Geekser
I returned one without cause. Big Mistake, huge restocking fee I did not know about until I got the refund. If you go that route, find Something wrong with it.
VLOS does not have to be you, can be anyone along the route that can be in contact.
Trying to see my Mini? That’s a trip, Huh where’d it go? Can see my colorful wetsuited Phantoms a long ways.

Keep it
Thanks for your reply, and I am hoping not to get hit with a restocking fee. I thought that the spotter had to be standing directly next to the pilot, but I could be wrong. Anyway, I usually fly alone.

As soon as you look at the app you're no longer flying according the VLOS rule.
I'm not aiming this at anyone or trying to be a drone police but I think it is a fair question and is the type of scenario that VLOS is in place to avoid.

So if you're flying so far away that you can't see your UA, and all you know of it's surroundings, is what you can see on your screen, how would you avoid (for instance) a general aviation aircraft; that for whatever reason, was at your altitude? I suspect many that do fly out like this spend most of their time starring at the screen and while they have an idea as to where their UA is, they have little situational awareness of that airspace. Even if you were lucky enough to have the camera pointed in the direction of an oncoming aircraft you likely would not see it on a tiny 6" screen until it could be too late.
The FAA rule for drones is not to fly over 400 feet, and I have no problem with that. I would think keeping your drone under 400 feet would not present a problem for manned aircraft as long as the drone is not within 5 miles of an airport.

That's not debating - that's pure sophistry and you are better than that. Co-located means at the same location.
I was stating fact.

@sar104 you are a genius, and extremely valuable here. I apologise if I rubbed you the wrong way. Have a great rest of your day! I've been really stressed TF out at life man, and it's bleeding out into everything and everywhere. Again, my apologies. Stay safe!

I was stating fact.

@sar104 you are a genius, and extremely valuable here. I apologise if I rubbed you the wrong way. Have a great rest of your day! I've been really stressed TF out at life man, and it's bleeding out into everything and everywhere. Again, my apologies. Stay safe!

No problem - I was just starting to doubt your intentions. Take it easy.

Reactions: itsneedtokno
Just like the speed limit analogy and with it you are unlikely to get pulled over going over the speed limit by 2-3 mph let alone sometimes 5-7 mph. Should you feel like a criminal when more then 90% of the people does it?

It is a guideline set to have a base for safety and ultimately the responsibility lies with the driver/pilot to be aware of their surrounding, environment, and conditions when going out of VLOS.
Thanks - the speed limit analogy is definitely valid here.

Back on track we go.... Why did you purchase the drone in the first place? For me, I want to take my photography to new heights, literally. I love the new perspective. I'm too paranoid to fly out of sight anyways, too many variables could make your drone disappear forever.

Personally I get a good kick out of simply flying the drone upward. So if you bought the drone to fly miles away, then yes return it. If not, I think this forum can help, but its a personal decision that you should make.
Thank you for your thoughts. I bought the drone for photography, but I also find it practical to fly farther than I can see. Your response is much appreciated.

I tend to find reasons to fly my drone and not excuses not to. Yes, take it back!
Thank you for your response. I definitely look for reasons to fly the drone, but I don't like to be a lawbreaker if I fly out of sight. This forum is great for collecting insights. Thanks again.

Reactions: Camino Ken
The FAA rule for drones is not to fly over 400 feet, and I have no problem with that. I would think keeping your drone under 400 feet would not present a problem for manned aircraft as long as the drone is not within 5 miles of an airport.

Well thats the problem, you would think other aircraft do not get below that number but they do all the time and not just to land, forced landings happen a lot more than most would think and my post about situational awareness, when you are beyond VLOS, was in regards to #3 of the VLOS rule below.

The 107.31 definition of VLOS includes more than just being able to see it:

§107.31 Visual line of sight aircraft operation.
(a) With vision that is unaided by any device other than corrective lenses, the remote pilot in command, the visual observer (if one is used), and the person manipulating the flight control of the small unmanned aircraft system must be able to see the unmanned aircraft throughout the entire flight in order to:

(1) Know the unmanned aircraft's location;

(2) Determine the unmanned aircraft's attitude, altitude, and direction of flight;

(3) Observe the airspace for other air traffic or hazards; and

(4) Determine that the unmanned aircraft does not endanger the life or property of another.

Something I posted earlier
Something I posted earlier this year.....

Manned aircraft fly below 500ft quite often like for takeoff and landings, search and rescue, fighting fires, locating fugitives, crop inspections, building inspections, dam inspections, surveying, installing large HVAC on roofs, etc etc.

Thanks - the speed limit analogy is definitely valid here.

So if you like that analogy, how do you feel about going ten times over the speed limit, which more closely aligns with the distances that you see commonly reported on this forum and elsewhere.

OK - this is getting very silly now. Co-located with the pilot means at the pilot's location.

Some people, usually those who have no respect for the rules, will always interpret VERY CLEAR regulations to suit their purposes or argument. Often the same people who state they don’t have to justify their actions to me/you/anyone else, then go on to try and justify themselves and dig a bigger hole to fall into.

Well thats the problem, you would think other aircraft do not get below that number but they do all the time and not just to land, forced landings happen a lot more than most would think and my post about situational awareness, when you are beyond VLOS, was in regards to #3 of the VLOS rule below.

The 107.31 definition of VLOS includes more than just being able to see it:

§107.31 Visual line of sight aircraft operation.
(a) With vision that is unaided by any device other than corrective lenses, the remote pilot in command, the visual observer (if one is used), and the person manipulating the flight control of the small unmanned aircraft system must be able to see the unmanned aircraft throughout the entire flight in order to:

(1) Know the unmanned aircraft's location;

(2) Determine the unmanned aircraft's attitude, altitude, and direction of flight;

(3) Observe the airspace for other air traffic or hazards; and

(4) Determine that the unmanned aircraft does not endanger the life or property of another.
Yep, it looks like my new drone is going to be returned to the store for a refund. This hobby looks like fun from the outside, but I can't see getting any enjoyment out of it with the FAA restrictions.

• Sad
Reactions: itsneedtokno
Yep, it looks like my new drone is going to be returned to the store for a refund. This hobby looks like fun from the outside, but I can't see getting any enjoyment out of it.
good luck to you. it's definitely an expensive hobby if you don't really enjoy it. That's why most of us recommend buying a cheap "learner" drone as your first drone to get used to flying and see if you want to keep doing it..When I bought my breeze 4k I actually thought people spending 1K or more on drones were insane.... Now I know I was right :cool:

I am a brand new pilot and I love my new Mavic Air 2. I have had no problems flying it, but I do have problems meeting the FAA Visual Line of Sight rule. I have decent vision, but I can't legally fly very far because I can't see the aircraft after a few hundred feet. I assume most pilots just ignore this rule, but I don't want to feel like a criminal every time I fly. A hobby is supposed to be fun, but this restriction takes away the fun. At this point, I think the best thing for me to do is to return the drone and get my money back. Does anyone want to talk me out of this?
I'm almost 85 & have bad vision M.D. in Right eye. I got 2 of the firehouse red strobes for the back of my MPP. Also, one of the white that I put on the very front top. All mounted with velcro.

I have a 77-acre farm that I use the Litchi program to program all my flights, (I know Litchi is not available yet for the Mav-2 Soon I hope) . Since I can't see my drone that far. That way the program is loaded into the Drone & I don't have to control it. I can see the bright Strobes on the back though.

I fly out looking for deer clear over to the far side of my property close to the woods so Drone is out of my line of sight, Also the remodel of my G.K.s house next door to watch the construction going on.
The best thing to do is keep it close & LEARN how to fly it to start with. I learned on a cheaper one, but now I'm hooked & love it.
Also, there are lots of GREAT people here willing to help you with any problems like they have me.

I'm almost 85 & have bad vision M.D. in Right eye. I got 2 of the firehouse red strobes for the back of my MPP. Also, one of the white that I put on the very front top. All mounted with velcro.

I have a 77-acre farm that I use the Litchi program to program all my flights, (I know Litchi is not available yet for the Mav-2 Soon I hope) . Since I can't see my drone that far. That way the program is loaded into the Drone & I don't have to control it. I can see the bright Strobes on the back though.

I fly out looking for deer clear over to the far side of my property close to the woods so Drone is out of my line of sight, Also the remodel of my G.K.s house next door to watch the construction going on.
The best thing to do is keep it close & LEARN how to fly it to start with. I learned on a cheaper one, but now I'm hooked & love it.
Also, there are lots of GREAT people here willing to help you with any problems like they have me.
Thank you for your post. I have no problems flying the drone, but I like to get the drone straight up and then begin to explore, not just take pictures at close range. Since the FAA requires Visual Line of Sight, I am not able to fly my drone the way I want. Since I can't get any enjoyment out of this hobby, it makes sense to me to return the drone and get my money back.

I am a brand new pilot and I love my new Mavic Air 2. I have had no problems flying it, but I do have problems meeting the FAA Visual Line of Sight rule. I have decent vision, but I can't legally fly very far because I can't see the aircraft after a few hundred feet. I assume most pilots just ignore this rule, but I don't want to feel like a criminal every time I fly. A hobby is supposed to be fun, but this restriction takes away the fun. At this point, I think the best thing for me to do is to return the drone and get my money back. Does anyone want to talk me out of this?
The way the law is written so that you fly your drone like a kite. Being a mavic pilot forum everyone will tell you they never fly BVLOS. Why is it written that way? Unless you fly it like a kite, you will be wrong 100% of the time should anything go wrong.

The way the law is written so that you fly your drone like a kite.

That's tethered flying. Completely different.
Being a mavic pilot forum everyone will tell you they never fly BVLOS.

Obviously you need to read the forum more often.
Why is it written that way? Unless you fly it like a kite, you will be wrong 100% of the time should anything go wrong.

It's written that way because the primary driver is airspace safety, not satisfying the cravings of drone users to see how far they can fly.

Reactions: SkyeHigh
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
msherwood1954