DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Sideslip props shutdown

flightsimulation

Reactions
Hey all

I was fighting some wind and tried to sideslip which requires right turn and left yaw, i was able to do what i had to in a challenging landing of gusts. However this caused the propellers to stop and it dropped wasnt too high no damage was done , i was probably 1.2 metres above landing spot right before the final idle for touchdown ( not sure exact height) before aircraft knows it needs to land.

I realize i may have triggered the emergency landing motors off as seen in the manual, can this combo be changed or removed completely?

Thanks

I was fighting some wind and tried to sideslip which requires right turn and left yaw, i was able to do what i had to in a challenging landing of gusts. However this caused the propellers to stop
I realize i may have triggered the emergency landing motors off as seen in the manual, can this combo be changed or removed completely?
As post #2 suggests, you are very unlikely to accidentally CSC while in flight.
Your recorded flight data would show exactly what you did with your joysticks so you know if that was/was not the cause.

Reactions: RPBloor
As post #2 suggests, you are very unlikely to accidentally CSC while in flight.
Your recorded flight data would show exactly what you did with your joysticks so you know if that was/was not the cause.
In this case throttle down sounds likely plus right turn and with right joystick going backward with left yaw.

Essentially I stalled my aircraft myself. If that makes sense and if possible.
So either i really used the cdc combo or i stalled my aircraft luckily nothing happened but it dropped like a rock and thumped down on a clean landing pad surface.

So either i really used the cdc combo or i stalled my aircraft luckily nothing happened but it dropped like a rock and thumped down on a clean landing pad surface.
Rather than guessing and wondering what might have happened, you can see exactly what did happen.
Go to DJI Flight Log Viewer | Phantom Help
Follow the instructions there to upload your flight record from your phone or tablet.
That will give you a detailed report of the flight.
Come back and post a link to the report it gives you.

Reactions: dirkclod
It never occurred to me that you could sideslip a quadcopter. In a normal plane, a sideslip starts with a turn, let’s say to the right, which changes the lift vector from vertical to an angle, which lowers its vertical component, resulting in less lift. Then left (opposite) rudder has two effects - first it stops the aircraft from actually turning, even though it’s banked, and it also makes the plane less aerodynamic. Less lift and way more drag can bring it down like an elevator if extreme enough.

But with a quad, when you put in right stick, it banks the drone to the right, but prop speed (I assume) is automatically increased, or else every move to the right or left would require more throttle (left stick) to maintain altitude. Because it doesn’t, the prop speed must be automatically increased. (This would also be true of moving forward or backwards.) So the first part of the sideslip doesn’t cause a loss of lift like banking a plane does. And then the yaw control merely rotates the bird on its axis, and I don’t see it changing the aerodynamics very much.

I’m away from home without my drone so I can’t test this right now. If anyone sees anything wrong with this logic, please let me know. (? not that this group had to be invited to comment...)

Reactions: Mrmund

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bant18