DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Situational Awareness. What it is as described by the FAA part 107 study guide

cgmaxed

Reactions
Situational Awareness: Situational awareness is the accurate perception and understanding of all the factors and conditions within the five fundamental risk elements (flight, pilot, aircraft, environment, and type of operation that comprise any given aviation situation) that affect safety before, during, and after the flight. Maintaining situational awareness requires an understanding of the relative significance of all flight related factors and their future impact on the flight. When a pilot understands what is going on and has an overview of the total operation, he or she is not fixated on one perceived significant factor. Not only is it important for a pilot to know the aircraft’s geographical location, it is also important he or she understand what is happening. Obstacles to Maintaining Situational Awareness Fatigue, stress, and work overload can cause a pilot to fixate on a single perceived important item and reduce an overall situational awareness of the flight. A contributing factor in many accidents is a distraction that diverts the pilot’s attention from monitoring the aircraft. Workload Management Effective workload management ensures essential operations are accomplished by planning, prioritizing, and sequencing tasks to avoid work overload. As experience is gained, a pilot learns to recognize future workload requirements and can prepare for high workload periods during times of low workload. In addition, a pilot should listen to ATIS, Automated Surface Observing System (ASOS), or Automated Weather Observing System (AWOS), if available, and then monitor the tower frequency or Common Traffic Advisory Frequency (CTAF) to get a good idea of what traffic conditions to expect.Chapter 10: Aeronautical Decision-Making and Judgment Remote Pilot – Small Unmanned Aircraft Systems Study Guide 64 Recognizing a work overload situation is also an important component of managing workload. The first effect of high workload is that the pilot may be working harder but accomplishing less. As workload increases, attention cannot be devoted to several tasks at one time, and the pilot may begin to focus on one item. When a pilot becomes task saturated, there is no awareness of input from various sources, so decisions may be made on incomplete information and the possibility of error increases. When a work overload situation exists, a pilot needs to stop, think, slow down, and prioritize. It is important to understand how to decrease workload

I posted this part 107 study guide section due to so many people claiming I lacked situational awareness when flying certain distances, but maintaining clear visibility and VLOS with a drone equipped with a daylight lighting system of adequate intensity allowing it to perform extended distance missions. Again maintaining VLOS and the ability to see enough of the airspace around the drone to "see and avoid" manned aircraft. The quoted section of this guide, in my opinion justifies my flight practice. Many will still disagree, but my experience with these types of lighting systems and my years of flight experience in this particular area of space, I feel very safe in the situation and have full awareness of my surroundings. It's not for everyone, but as the study guide describes it, I am staying within situational awareness limits as written and maintaining a safe environment for my drone and manned aircraft.

For others wishing to understand the context of this thread (Which should perhaps be continued in the original thread and not a new thread, but I'll leave that up to the mods): Flying your drone 1 to 2 miles away during the day ! : The Trick
Agreed, BUT PLEASE FEEL FREE TO TALK ABOUT SITUATIONAL AWARENESS IN AND OF ITSELF. I may have mention my thread "The Trick". But I would like to hear people's thoughts on situational awareness and how it's written in the 107 study guide, as quoted above. So never mind long distance VLOS. Tell us your experience and thoughts regarding SItuational awareness and what in may or not mean to you.

Last edited:
For others wishing to understand the context of this thread (Which should perhaps be continued in the original thread and not a new thread, but I'll leave that up to the mods): Flying your drone 1 to 2 miles away during the day ! : The Trick
Since you read, "The Trick". And now have read the Specific Part of the 107 study guide which I posted above. Do you have any thought you'd like to share to the forum or just me? I'm curious of everyone's' thoughts. I'm just not seeing, that I broke situational awareness perception. I have such a familiarity with my location and it's air traffic that using a high intensity light to show me where I am and my orientation, gives me adequate situational awareness. Maybe it's it's only legitimate for me, because, in my case, I have been only doing this in my home area, which I am extremely familiar with.

A side note. I think my high intensity light idea would be great in situations like flying over the ocean. You can see your drone 2 miles away and also see every bit of sky around you while standing on the beach. No obstructions. Beach and ocean flights could be idealy enhanced with my lighting system.

Maybe I should have called it "The Enhancement", not "The Trick". "The Trick" has a negative connotation.

You have 2 threads going at once. How about referencing the other so everyone can read Vic Moss's post including an FAA authority with a very detailed reply. I am hitting ignore on this thread. If you are being honest reference the other thread in which all should read the thorough FAA answer.

You have 2 threads going at once. How about referencing the other so everyone can read Vic Moss's post including an FAA authority with a very detailed reply. I am hitting ignore on this thread. If you are being honest reference the other thread in which all should read the thorough FAA answer.
I did. And agreed to the post that directs them to VIC's comment. However Vic is talking about strobes, which are a totally inadequate lighting system for daylight orientation or attitude operations. Only a constant high intensity beam of light, constantly directed toward the operator with a sufficient viewable area of space around the drone is sufficient. As described, the operator is 2 to three stories high, above the tree line, allowing for adequate visualization of the air space to respond to incoming aircraft in a timely manner.

Strobes (Add on) are in my experience a superior method of determining orientation of the drone in VLOS. I use ARC2 XLs and have 2 facing rear with a red and a green on front arms in aircraft style.

Strobes (Add on) are in my experience a superior method of determining orientation of the drone in VLOS. I use ARC2 XLs and have 2 facing rear with a red and a green on front arms in aircraft style.
I do the same. I have the ARC XLs as well. I love the fact that they beep, if you land in an unfamiliar area and need to find the drone after an "emergency" landing. Hopefully not a crash landing. Also, The are the brightest lights, as strobe lights go, in their class. My opinion anyway.

Reactions: Thomas B
PLEASE FEEL FREE TO TALK ABOUT SITUATIONAL AWARENESS IN AND OF ITSELF. I may have mention my thread "The Trick", igone it. But I would like to hear people's thoughts on situational awareness and how it's written in the 107 study guide, as quoted above. So never mind long distance VLOS. Tell us your experience and thoughts regarding SItuational awareness and what it may or may not mean to you.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarstenG