DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Sky Watch AI Drone Insurance

MRomine

Reactions
Anyone here using this company for commercial drone insurance? I believe they are based in Canada.

I have been with them happily for the last few years, but recently they merged with another insurance company and their renewal rates have more than doubled... without any change in coverage or any claims... ever.

They also used to be really good about being able to reach someone easlily to discuss policy questions or making changes... now calls go right to voicemail and I can't get anyone to return my calls regarding the huge bump in price on my renewal.

In the past I would have recommended them without hesitation, but at this point I would suggest avoiding them.

Reactions: MRomine and merak75
X-post from Matrice 30T forum:

So I've been doing insurance research now that I want to start working with my M30T. Here is an old thread that talks about the different company options at the time.

- SkyWatch is $2,225/yr ($1,000,000 Liability / $1560 Hull)
- PPA (Professional Photographers of America) $428/yr ($1,000,000 Liability / $15,000 Hull)
- AirModo $575/yr ($1,000,000 Liability / Assumed $15,000 Hull)

With PPA, the yearly policy includes a year of their membership benefits.

Being that my drone is brand new and under DJI Care, I don't feel I need the Hull coverage but, I don't think companies offer liability only. Also, I'm not sure why SkyWatch is 4 times the price of the others but for an individual pilot like myself, that is not an option. I'd really like to pay per flight (avg (-$10 per hour) as I won't be flying a lot while ramping up the contacts and work but, it seems most companies want proof of insurance so a yearly policy is easier just to have and provide.

I like AirModo and the fact that they have an easy-to-use use app but, I'm a long time photographer and videographer so I'll probably go with PPA just to feel all warm inside having a membership with others alike.

Reactions: MS Coast
Please note, AirModo is Liability only, I took a quick look at the website for PPA and their coverage is through Lockton, which is an insurance broker, not an insurance company, so I can't tell you who the underwriter is backing their policy. Additionally, their website indicates limits of $25,000 and $50,000 with higher available.

AirModo policies start at $1M limits and are offered up to $25M through the app for commercial use. From their notes, it appears you must purchase both Physical damage and liability coverage.

They also mention:
  • Get defense coverage included inside the limit of this liability insurance
What this means is that the cost to defend you is part of the $25,000 or $50,000 limit you are buying. Doesn't leave that much to settle a claim once you start adding up legal fees. With AirModo, these costs are outside the limit of liability.

AirModo offers hourly policies in 1 hour, 4 hour or 8 hour blocks, so you can try it before committing to a full annual policy.

Additionally, it appears if you need to make any changes with the PPA program, you would have to call the broker. AirModo is entirely contained within the app, allowing you to add additional aircraft or pilots and generate certificates right there.

If you have specific questions regarding coverages not included in our FAQ, please send us a note through our website.

Reactions: TnDronePilot
Please note, AirModo is Liability only, I took a quick look at the website for PPA and their coverage is through Lockton, which is an insurance broker, not an insurance company, so I can't tell you who the underwriter is backing their policy. Additionally, their website indicates limits of $25,000 and $50,000 with higher available.

AirModo policies start at $1M limits and are offered up to $25M through the app for commercial use. From their notes, it appears you must purchase both Physical damage and liability coverage.

They also mention:
  • Get defense coverage included inside the limit of this liability insurance
What this means is that the cost to defend you is part of the $25,000 or $50,000 limit you are buying. Doesn't leave that much to settle a claim once you start adding up legal fees. With AirModo, these costs are outside the limit of liability.

AirModo offers hourly policies in 1 hour, 4 hour or 8 hour blocks, so you can try it before committing to a full annual policy.

Additionally, it appears if you need to make any changes with the PPA program, you would have to call the broker. AirModo is entirely contained within the app, allowing you to add additional aircraft or pilots and generate certificates right there.

If you have specific questions regarding coverages not included in our FAQ, please send us a note through our website.
Appreciate the breakdown between the two. For me, I have DJI Care for the first two years so I don't necessarily need Hull coverage in most crash/loss situations. After that, I'll figure it out. I'll go with AirModo and as I mentioned earlier, I like the app. Thanks!

I X-posted this thread to the Matrice 30T forums as there's a discussion about it over there.

I am going to Europe, Italy for recreational flying with a Mini 2 and need drone insurance for 3 weeks (1 month coverage). I live in the US. Is Skywatch.AI feasible? Or anyone have purchased liabilty coverage recommendations?