DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Skydio 2 - pre-orders open at $999 US Only so far

Status
Not open for further replies.
Question for the regulation pros: Is there anywhere in Canada/USA you could see this being used legally? (assuming that the pilot in command would be the subject)

Skydio launched their "pre-orders" - $999 for drone - $149 for "Beacon controller" $149 for long range controller.

Well I put in an pre-order as I had just gotten the monies back from my Hover 2 pledge.

So I guess my Mavic 2 p will come up for sale soon. :)
No, you don't want to do that. You will regret it. After the honeymoon period with Skydio 2 ends you will be calling the Mav2Pro back into your life.

Reactions: JS1600
No, you don't want to do that. You will regret it. After the honeymoon period with Skydio 2 ends you will be calling the Mav2Pro back into your life.

No I'm not leaving my place in the order line for you.....

No I'm probably keeping my M2p or selling it to get a M3p or what ever it will be called if DJI can figure out how to use a 1"+ sensor and put some decent glass on it.

But until then I'm a beta tester of DJI Mavic 2 Pro, DJI Osmo Pocket, CrystalSky and Ronin S. All semi good products that COULD be great - but probably never will be.

Latest disaster I got was the underwater case for the Osmo Pocket. That is designed by a [insert swear words here] - who has NEVER gone diving. It will in most cases never survive 10,20 or 30 meters depths unless you find suitable O-Rings and manage to screw the top on with O-Ring in the right place.

But in general I'm less and less impressed by DJI every day.

The beauty of the Skydio is throw it in the air and have it follow you without worry of it crashing with it advanced obstacle avoidance.

I will be getting the beacon controller as that is a cool accessory but not sure if I'll need the controller.

Will be keeping my Mavic as that has its own place and features to fill the void that the Skydio does not.

No I'm not leaving my place in the order line for you.....

No I'm probably keeping my M2p or selling it to get a M3p or what ever it will be called if DJI can figure out how to use a 1"+ sensor and put some decent glass on it.

But until then I'm a beta tester of DJI Mavic 2 Pro, DJI Osmo Pocket, CrystalSky and Ronin S. All semi good products that COULD be great - but probably never will be.

Latest disaster I got was the underwater case for the Osmo Pocket. That is designed by a [insert swear words here] - who has NEVER gone diving. It will in most cases never survive 10,20 or 30 meters depths unless you find suitable O-Rings and manage to screw the top on with O-Ring in the right place.

But in general I'm less and less impressed by DJI every day.
Oh crap, you figured out my alterier motive.... I have to come clean, I'm a techno technology buff and everything about the Skydio 2 amazes me and I would order one in a second (if I didn't have other obligations to for fill). I hope
it 's a homerun. I hope the technology that lies in the Skydio 2 is also a great starting point that more consumer drone companies will learn from and incorporate the technology into their products.

I’m impressed, this drone is amazing.

Would be cool strapping on the beacon to a Mavic 2 Pro and let the Skydio 2 follow the Mavic 2, endless possibilities using the Skydio 2.

Just placed an order, unfortunately I’m on the second batch. January 2020. Definitely be getting both Beacon and Controller, extra batteries as well.

Can’t wait!
Paul

The fact they used the craptastic controller from the anafi kinda makes it a dealbreaker for me (yes I have one, the controller is the worst thing about it).

The fact they used the craptastic controller from the anafi kinda makes it a dealbreaker for me (yes I have one, the controller is the worst thing about it).
Opinions will vary, I actually like the Anafi controller...

The beauty of the Skydio is throw it in the air and have it follow you without worry of it crashing with it advanced obstacle avoidance.

Absolutely agree -- that is, by far, the most compelling thing about this drone. If obstacle avoidance works in reality as well as it appears to in the promos, I'll definitely buy one.

Absolutely agree -- that is, by far, the most compelling thing about this drone. If obstacle avoidance works in reality as well as it appears to in the promos, I'll definitely buy one.
There first R1 was a marvel to watch as it worked its way through and around trees and other obstacles.

The Skydio 2 obstacle avoidance can only be even better with higher res cameras, lighter and more agile.

I wonder if I can throw this in the air in the middle of New York, and have it follow me while I ride my bike around its busy streets. Would it crash into a bus, into people, into power lines? That would be the ultimate test. Too bad it's illegal ;)

• Haha
Reactions: JS1600
No one seems to be comparing the price of it vs M2....half the price if intro price sticks or near $1,000. That is HUGH! For many, non-professionals, this “hobby” has gotten both very expensive (DJI) and boring because of the limitations. New technology which expands the flight experience vs professional imaging is a smart move IMHO.

Just another company to compete with DJI which has millions of dollars to spend against its competitors. Skydio 2 follow me mode is awesome but not for me.

I’m not understanding all the “hate” of this drone. I’m a part 107 pilot but I was a RC hobbyist way before. This drone is cool. As my wife says...it’s a toy.

No hate here, but it is still lacking.

I use the M2P as a tool, not (as you say) a toy. I don't care about speed or distance or action -- I use it for variety of video/photography, and this device falls far short of what I already have.

Also, I don't want autonomous shooting (at least, not something I didn't program the flightpath in myself). I want control.

So those of you that want an automated GoPro like video shoot for action, go for it. I don't shoot that stuff. There's no way this would be a reasonable replacement for my M2P.

Chris

Well, I’m impressed so far. I don’t understand all the naysayers. I see people dismissing it because of the 23 minute flight time. My Mavic Pro never got more than 21 minutes. Maybe 24 if I really pushed it. The idea of it following a transponder (Beacon) is far more reliable than trying to follow something through trees or other obstacles. The opportunities are endless.
I’ve seen nobody mention their warranty. Crash it and as long as you weren’t blatantly reckless, they repair or replace it for free. I’ve read countless stories of DJI just telling people they were flying it wrong.
I’ll probably wait until the reviews but I’m impressed. Ken Heron said he asked for a review unit so we’ll see.

Let's review this again - first there was much hype and then the collapse of 3D Robotics, then Lily ("The Theranos of the drone market"), followed by GoPro's Karma, Airware, and a few others. DJI has a great lead and large market share so Skydio has a lot of work ahead of them to convince the market they have a viable product.

Last edited:
I wonder if I can throw this in the air in the middle of New York, and have it follow me while I ride my bike around its busy streets. Would it crash into a bus, into people, into power lines? That would be the ultimate test. Too bad it's illegal ;)
Look at some of the YouTube videos of the Skydio 1, people have done just that!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tarizzman