DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Skydio 2 - pre-orders open at $999 US Only so far

Status
Not open for further replies.
The fact they used the craptastic controller from the anafi kinda makes it a dealbreaker for me (yes I have one, the controller is the worst thing about it).
Right!? Thats what i said when i saw the controller! I thought to myself u got to be kidding me it is the same exact controller i even went on skydio's page and yea its made by parrot so that confirms it.....i wonder why they went that way....maybe same protocols/commands

Right!? Thats what i said when i saw the controller! I thought to myself u got to be kidding me it is the same exact controller i even went on skydio's page and yea its made by parrot so that confirms it.....i wonder why they went that way....maybe same protocols/commands
Well, they had to half that total price in some way. Use a low-cost controller, charge extra for it to boot. Not too many folk would buy a $1.000 drone if the controller was $750 (like the DJI SC) or even a better quality non-smart controller for $300-400.

Edit: then there's the beacon-only crowd. The fact that this is an option means they expect a large part of their market (majority?) to use this as an action-cam only. So less thought is put into the controller.

Eh?

No matter what... this thing is impressive tech for that price... the obstacle avoidance, magnesium frame, the advanced chip set etc. No reason to fanboy.

Reactions: j.r.r.
Flys itself. Can’t be violated if you aren’t flying it. [/sarcasm]
EXACTLY, there is no pilot in command, no visual line of sight! That's exciting, give the drone a ticket, I'm not flying it !

Oh well, the down side is that it can't possibly take the picture that I would, and that's what I'm in this for.

EXACTLY, there is no pilot in command, no visual line of sight! That's exciting, give the drone a ticket, I'm not flying it !

Oh well, the down side is that it can't possibly take the picture that I would, and that's what I'm in this for.
Well if you buy the controller, yes you actually can.

I just chatted with one of their support person about 2 things I was curious about.

The max flying height limit is 100 meters.

The supplied charger is 5V 3A, so you can charge this drone in the field with a portable battery pack.
The person I talked to said there is no height limit, he said they trust their customers to fly responsibly and do not add any built in restrictions.

Looks impressive the way it follows and avoids obstacle's "apparently" at high speed !!
Not sure I could trust the automated avoidance with that amount of money, and it doesn't seem to fold up so could be a bit bulky for some !!!
A good Idea to hang back and see what the feed back will be in a couple of months before you splash the cash.
Skydio guarantees that it will not crash. If it somehow malfunctions and it does crash, they will replace it free of charge.

Skydio guarantees that it will not crash. If it somehow malfunctions and it does crash, they will replace it free of charge.
If you fly by their set of regulations... still an awesome warranty.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Well after being screwed by DJI on their"Care refresh" and 2 bulging batteries I'll be looking into the Skydio 2. They refused to honor even one battery replacement. I offered to pay the $119 for one battery and they wouldn't do it. Thats $20 less than a new battery (or it was, until they raised the prices) So DJI will never get another penny from me. This came along at the right time.
S. Lewis
Spark / P4P / Mavic Pro / M2Zoom / Goggles RE / Smart Controller / etc etc.

I'm on the January production run. I'd say the Skydio 1 was the beta machine. Skydio 2 is the fruit of the #1, hopefully bug less.

The person I talked to said there is no height limit, he said they trust their customers to fly responsibly and do not add any built in restrictions.
Height limit varies.*
Based on which flight mode you’re using, or whether or not Skydio 2 is currently tracking a subject, here are the altitude (height) specifications for Skydio 2:

When flying with just the Skydio app and tracking a subject(not using Controller or Beacon), the maximum height is 8m (26.87ft) - if that subject is a vehicle, the maximum height is 16m (53.75ft).
When Skydio 2 is not tracking a subject, the maximum height is 1,640 ft. (regardless of which control option is being used).
In addition to the above specs, when tracking a subject, Skydio 2 will nominally stay within 10m (32.8ft) of the subject (overall distance in relation to the person being followed) or 20m (65.6ft), if tracking a car.

*Credit to Mad_Angler1 for the info

Last edited:
Well after being screwed by DJI on their"Care refresh" and 2 bulging batteries I'll be looking into the Skydio 2. They refused to honor even one battery replacement. I offered to pay the $119 for one battery and they wouldn't do it. Thats $20 less than a new battery (or it was, until they raised the prices) So DJI will never get another penny from me. This came along at the right time.
S. Lewis
Spark / P4P / Mavic Pro / M2Zoom / Goggles RE / Smart Controller / etc etc.

DJI Care only covers one battery while replacing the drone. You declined. Batteries were out of 6 month warranty. Don't blame DJI.

Last edited:
I’m a new Mavic Pro pilot and a photography neophyte but I come from the r/c airplane community with collective pitch heli experience also and I’m a longtime high hours r/c pilot. I enjoy the autopilot features of my Mavic Pro very much and this technology is very convenient and handy/easy to use. With that being said I’m of the school that it’s better to learn to actually fly the aircraft manually first and develop the skills necessary to master controlling the aircraft with the sticks. The advancement of autopilot technology makes me wonder just how competent and capable the modern multi-rotor pilots actually are. These features are great to take advantage of but there is something very rewarding about manually controlling your aircraft with precision with your own skill. Of course this is only my opinion and one of the great things about this hobby is that people with all skill levels can take much enjoyment from r/c model aviation! Fly safe and fly often!

Reactions: lightbg
Although the performance is impressive I am just wondering about their design. Why at hell did they place the front propellers at the bottom? Too near to the ground during takeoff and landing and also dangerous for hand-catching...

With that being said I’m of the school that it’s better to learn to actually fly the aircraft manually first and develop the skills necessary to master controlling the aircraft with the sticks. The advancement of autopilot technology makes me wonder just how competent and capable the modern multi-rotor pilots actually are. These features are great to take advantage of but there is something very rewarding about manually controlling your aircraft with precision with your own skill.
Clearly, the intent is to remove all pilot control and pilot error, and still reap the rewards. It's all about the video sharing for the selfie crowd on FB and YT for likes and views and additional subscribers. Not that there is anything wrong with the stellar video that is created autonomously!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NotSure