DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Slight battery swelling post-flight

Chuckinay

Reactions
I've started to notice very subtle battery swelling after my M2P flights — a barely perceptible bulge on the battery's bottom, which recedes after the battery cools. Pre-flight, the battery will look completely normal, with a perfectly flat bottom. Post-flight you can see the slight swelling. I have three batteries — each with 50-100 cycles and each about 2 years old — and all three are doing this post-flight.

I'm aware of the potential problem here — battery detachment and crash — and know about the historical record of the Mavic's swelling batteries. But this swelling is very minor and I'm not even sure they haven't been doing this all along.

Is this:

[ ] Normal, you just didn't notice it before.

[ ] A sign of impending doom and you should replace them immediately.

@Chuckinay you have already answered your own question, and the decision you make as to whether or not you keep flying your drone with them is entirely yours to make ,no one on this forum is going to tell you one way or the other as we all know the consequence's of what could happen to the drone, if the batteries did become detached, sorry to be so blunt ,but i believe that honesty is the best policy here ,hence my answer

Reactions: rp6 and DougMcC
@Chuckinay you have already answered your own question, and the decision you make as to whether or not you keep flying your drone with them is entirely yours to make ,no one on this forum is going to tell you one way or the other as we all know the consequence's of what could happen to the drone, if the batteries did become detached, sorry to be so blunt ,but i believe that honesty is the best policy here ,hence my answer
Fair enough! Thanks.

In terms of buying replacements, does anyone have any advice as to where to buy? Would it be best to go with the DJI Store so as to get something that hasn't been sitting around the stock room? Are they even still making these batteries?

@Chuckinay genuine DJI replacements from a registered DJI dealer, beware of cheap alternatives on web sites

Now thats how you get the full life out of a battery. Ha. I have been leaving my batteries out for a while before I pack them up or charge again to reduce the fatigue from heat.

Fair enough! Thanks.

In terms of buying replacements, does anyone have any advice as to where to buy? Would it be best to go with the DJI Store so as to get something that hasn't been sitting around the stock room? Are they even still making these batteries?
Before you buy, ask DJI to replace them. See previous posts where myself and others have gotten DJI to replace two-year-old batteries for free because of swelling.

Thank you all. I've submitted a request for replacement. As I did an inventory, I learned the batteries were manufactured in December 2018 and April 2019, FWIW.

I'v also got 2 of my batteries swollen. One of them actually was ejected during flight and crashed from the 4th floor hight in to deep grass so only a leg broke and gimbal got disaligned. They get swollen when heated up during use and back to normal when cooled off.
I have checked many option and found that for about £40 and some hacking one could replace the swollen cells however I try DJI support and they have agreed to replace 2 batteries! These are from 2019 and out of warranty but they replaced them any way. I think this is the best way to fix batteries; but now I have 2 batteries which can be repaired.

I'm not fully shure to tie down the battery to prevent from jumping out is the best idea since it would simple could explode. My one was actually cracking on the top so much pressure inside and couldn't force it in place. These cells are damaged and it is just matter of time before the drone falls out of the sky so just get it replace.

Last edited:
I'v also got 2 of my batteries swollen. One of them actually was ejected during flight and crashed from the 4th floor hight in to deep grass so only a leg broke and gimbal got disaligned. They get swollen when heated up during use and back to normal when cooled off.
I have checked many option and found that for about £40 and some hacking one could replace the swollen cells however I try DJI support and they have agreed to replace 2 batteries! These are from 2019 and out of warranty but they replaced them any way. I think this is the best way to fix batteries; but now I have 2 batteries which can be repaired.

I'm not fully shure to tie down the battery to prevent from jumping out is the best idea since it would simple could explode. My one was actually cracking on the top so much pressure inside and couldn't force it in place. These cells are damaged and it is just matter of time before the drone falls out of the sky so just get it replace.
can i ask what you said in your posting on dji support? I just had the same issue where i noticed batteries slightly swelling after long flights - they almost popped off, so i got lucky. probably going to go with the zip-tie method for safety on future flights.

can i ask what you said in your posting on dji support? I just had the same issue where i noticed batteries slightly swelling after long flights - they almost popped off, so i got lucky. probably going to go with the zip-tie method for safety on future flights.
It is very simple just told my problem:
"
This battery bulged during flight and was half way disconnected from its place at landing. It was very close to crash by ejecting the battery during flight. Now it's cooled off and the bulging has disappeared."

So now I'm a happy owner of 2 new batteries. :)

Attachments

• IMG20220505164440.jpg
    IMG20220505164440.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 14
I just got my two replacement batteries. They replaced two that were made in 2018. They showed very slight bulging. Bulging that was noticed when I rocked them on a flat surface.

I bought a 2nd battery for my MP2 on Oct 2018. Last Sept I had a difficult time getting it out of the drone after a short flight. It had started to bulge.

Since I never buy the extra insurance thats offered with many items, I forgot that I had bought the policy. I just kept the battery in a fireproof bag until now and never even considered checking if DJI would replace it. I just assumed I was stuck with it.

Then I saw this thread! I decided to look back at my records and saw that I did in fact made ab exception and bought DJI Care insurance - but even so, I thought it probably expired. Just out of curiosity I went online to DJI support. I was unable to call them but was offered an on-line chat. I clicked on it and the chat started immediatley. The rep confirmed I had the Care coverage and asked me to take a phone video of the battery rocking at the bulge. He patiently waited while I did it, then I uploaded it to him along with a picture of the lable on the battery. He then asked me to put the battery in a bowl of salt water for 5 minutes, and send him a short video of it showing it totally covered in the water. I did as he asked. After that, he advised me that the battery will be replaced at no charge.

4 days later - I now have an email advising me it will arrive tomorrow w free priority shipping.

If it weren't for this thread, I would have been too lazy to even think about a free replacement, so I thank the OP for starting it. The whole process was surprisingly simple and fast.

Last edited:
Reactions: usageUK

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54