DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Slow/unresponsive forward joystick after braking at low altitude

Amichael

Reactions
Hello,

I am perplexed by the issue I am experiencing below. Is anybody else having the same issue? I cannot find any reference to it online.

Braking from full speed to a hover at low altitude, the drone is slow or unresponsive when I resume applying forward joystick. It seems the solution is to increase altitude and then the drone responds normally to forward joystick. Is this due to ground proximity sensors interrupting my joystick input?

DJI Air 2S
Modes: Normal
Low altitude, 5-15 above ground
Open, rolling grass fields, no obstacles
Occurs: After braking to a hover at low altitude

Wait 2 seconds then it should work

Are you braking by using pause? I used that method to brake because many people mentioned it on the forum and it is surprisingly effective. I think I remember a slight pause in control effectiveness afterwards.

Reactions: pommy
Hello,

I am perplexed by the issue I am experiencing below. Is anybody else having the same issue? I cannot find any reference to it online.

Braking from full speed to a hover at low altitude, the drone is slow or unresponsive when I resume applying forward joystick. It seems the solution is to increase altitude and then the drone responds normally to forward joystick. Is this due to ground proximity sensors interrupting my joystick input?

DJI Air 2S
How fast are we talking about resuming forward speed after braking? How far away is the drone in all of this from controller? Could be enough signal loss to slow transmission from stick input to drone.

Hello all,

Thank you for your suggestions and sorry for my delayed response. I’ve been on the road since my initial post in north central Oregon and am getting many opportunities to fly this impressive drone.

@hiflyer201 , I am braking only with reverse joystick—I’m not using the pause button.

@tlswift58 I think you are correct that it may be some signal loss that is causing the drone’s hesitation to respond to forward joystick, even though video feed is uninterrupted. I am flying over a motorcycle racetrack with undulating ~50’ grass covered hills and hurriedly flying point to point to capture the action. I think the times I have experienced this issue the drone was 4-10’ off the ground and below line of sight.

Thank you again,

Hello,

DJI Air 2S
Mine does this. Sort of. But different lol.

Come to a stop (in S mode). Start off again, no altitude/direction change and it will be much slower. If I increase the altitude, it has no affect and it carries on in a straight line until I stop, increase altitude and then it will be fast again.

I've recently come to the conclusion (as much as WANT to like this drone) that the Air 2S is crap. I hope you get this figured out - but I have a feeling it will be just one of many issues that this DJI model has.

Good luck with it :)

Hi @pommy and @Sjkieffer ,

Thank you for sharing your similar experience with the DJI Air 2S slowing/halting forward movement for no apparent reason. Mine is still doing this and there is clearly obstruction, nor alerts of obstruction. It's concerning because in the environments I film in the drone may stop in front of a moving object and I will be helpless to prevent a collision.

DJI, any thoughts?

-Mike

Hi @pommy and @Sjkieffer ,

Thank you for sharing your similar experience with the DJI Air 2S slowing/halting forward movement for no apparent reason. Mine is still doing this and there is clearly obstruction, nor alerts of obstruction. It's concerning because in the environments I film in the drone may stop in front of a moving object and I will be helpless to prevent a collision.

DJI, any thoughts?

-Mike
Well, for me, it’s not doing it anymore. That could be down to just 2 things:

OA sensor recalibration in the DJI Assist software.

Or

Freshly installing the firmware (by the same means).

I did both at the same time as it was easier than not doing it (and coming back to do it if the recalibration didn’t cure it).

So, it could have been either. It might also come back and I’m speaking too soon.

People will say the sensors as the firmware refresh has nothing to do with sensors, but it’s always possible there was a problem with the firmware - especially if it’s downloaded as opposed to via USB and software.

??

I get this behavior or similar behavior from time to time. It must have to do with the obstacle detection sensors or altimeter. I find that I sometimes have to switch modes (sport to normal to sport) when this happens. I suspect it is some kind of failsafe.

Reactions: pommy
I think the times I have experienced this issue the drone was 4-10’ off the ground and below line of sight.
I video murdercross from time to time as well and it would be so hard to follow the action at that altitude that I wouldn't attempt it myself but I would love to see one of your video's. I'm wondering if it's the video feed that is slowing instead of the drone. I'm sure you would know by viewing the results but I find that to be the case often with my Mavic one...not so much with my 2.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
svdroneshots