DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Smart controller advantages

I find the convenience to be really great. I power on the drone, then the controller, and I'm up in a minute or two. No mounting and setting up my phone. Even in midday sunlight I can easily see the screen. I use a stylus to keep fingerprints off the screen because they can be a problem in the sun.

I've read that the SC has shorter range with the MA2, but I've been easily getting between 500 to 600 meters out with very little trouble. I don't really need more than that.

No denying it's pricey. I got mine bundled with the MA2 Fly More package so it wasn't as bad as buying it outright.

The SC brings convenience and a bright screen. Range is definitely reduced over stock controllers which is a problem as the video transmission can be laggy even when still well in control range. I would hesitate to buy one unless you have a supported drone you plan on keeping for a while.

The technology in the smart controller is getting old and I expect that it will be updated when the Mavic 3 finally arrives. Because of the transmission limitations it is not currently a good option for me because my area is full of mountains and trees which conspire to block my signal. Like most drone pilots I am always looking for the next thing, but in this case I think Smart Controller 2 when it inevitably shows up will fix the current model's shortcomings with an even brighter screen, bigger battery, faster processing, and extended range.

Until then I am using the Tripltek tablet for a screen on my various controllers..... its a good solution for now but slower to set up.... I generally leave it mounted to the drone controller I am using the most.

Reactions: Droniac and Gary R
Also with the Smart controller because of the HDMI port I can run a 14 inch screen off of it or another pair of Re-goggles which I use for my friends and occasionally my wife ?

Edh...Can you tell me a little more about the setup of an additional larger screen with the SC, maybe a picture of this in action? :) I have the Air2 so I don't believe goggles are an option for me but such a cool thing I bet!

I'm very happy with mine. I use it with an Air 2S and it's been working very well. I appreciate the bright screen as others have mentioned, and the fact that I'm not fiddling with plugs like I have to do to use my phone. I also consider the use of external cables an easy point of failure. I get up in the air quickly, so it's a real positive for me.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan