DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Smart Controller Firmware to Work With Mavic Air 2

Thanks for the info on using my new SC, that sounds like fun and will surely help me learn to us it.

I have spent a ton of time in various flight sims. Of course the PC version from Microsoft. I even went to the local airport to get expired charts so I could do some IFR, and learn to use the radio. But also logged hours in Canada through a good friend who was admin of a college flight school, and she opened up some of the simulators after hours just for me! Even received some personalized instruction one day, took an hour long flight across BC. I think the hardest thing for me to get used to with the controls on the drone is that in an airplane you push the stick forward to descend. But it is just the opposite with the drone. Something I need to practice to get that out of my head. I found the bubbles and tunnels a challenge to get through. Curious if anyone else has played with this, and how you did? I getting some hours logged even in bad weather, and running my new SC batteries through some cycles.

I have spent a ton of time in various flight sims. Of course the PC version from Microsoft. I even went to the local airport to get expired charts so I could do some IFR, and learn to use the radio. But also logged hours in Canada through a good friend who was admin of a college flight school, and she opened up some of the simulators after hours just for me! Even received some personalized instruction one day, took an hour long flight across BC. I think the hardest thing for me to get used to with the controls on the drone is that in an airplane you push the stick forward to descend. But it is just the opposite with the drone. Something I need to practice to get that out of my head. I found the bubbles and tunnels a challenge to get through. Curious if anyone else has played with this, and how you did? I getting some hours logged even in bad weather, and running my new SC batteries through some cycles.
You can change all the inputs of the remote to better suit your needs.

Mine is set up like an FPS video game.

For me it's the self-contained setup aspect. No phone and no cords...just flip the switch and fly. The screen is considerably larger that a cell phone and loads brighter in the direct sunlight. Where I'm located, flying in the heat of the summer, I also don''t have to worry about my iPhone over-temping and shutting down.
I can see the self-contained aspect but the screen on the SC is only 5.5" so it's actually smaller than most cell phones.

I can see the self-contained aspect but the screen on the SC is only 5.5" so it's actually smaller than most cell phones.

When in doubt, go bigger...

.IMG_1832.jpg

Last edited:

For me it is all about nits. The SC has a 1000 nit display. That is hard to find on a phone or tablet. The brightness solves the problem of viewing the app in direct sunlight.

For me it is all about nits. The SC has a 1000 nit display. That is hard to find on a phone or tablet. The brightness solves the problem of viewing the app in direct sunlight.
The point about nits brings to mind a potential advantage of the new controller. Seems like with the phone mounted on top it would be easier to design a sun hood that wouldn't make operating the sticks awkward. With the old controller I didn't see any hoods that didn't get in the way..

I agree on the brightness for sure. But I also very much look forward to being able to simply switch on the drone and the SC and go. No positioning my tablet or phone in a holder, connecting a USB cable and keeping it out of the way. Not worrying about whether I put the phone on DND and did I turn off its Wi-Fi? What about its Bluetooth? I snagged a really nice purpose-built case from PGYTech via B&H and I can't wait to press this SC into service withe MA2 once we get some updates.

I finally got to fly the MA2 this morning. I had the tablet bracket on the controller then the iPad Mini. It really is a lot of unnecessary trouble plus it just isn’t bright enough. I think it’s time to order the SC.

When I go out to fly, I like to hit several spots and I don’t like fiddling around with monitor brackets and monitors. I just want to get out of the car and fly.

Anyone heard anything about the firmware update to be able to use the SC?

I also very much look forward to being able to simply switch on the drone and the SC and go.

I hear you. I know when touring there isn't always a lot of time to set stuff up to get that epic group picture of riders and motorcycles. The ONE thing I am a bit disappointed with the MA2 is that SmartCapture feature was not brought to this product. The ability to turn on the drone. And solely through hand gestures to have it launch, position it, direct it to take a snap or video, and then to land it again. All without EITHER the phone or controller. Just the drone, and in just seconds. I've seen the independent demo videos on other models, and it appeared to be solidly implemented.

Reactions: LoganAir
I Bought the Mavic air 2 and the SC only to have to return the Mavic Air 2 due to Prohibited registration, apparently, there were 2 of these errors in the batch sent to Australia . Some issue with the serial number
so l am waiting for its wanted return . I got rid of my Phantom 4 and my Mavic Mini and pleaded with the war chief that l had to have the Air 2 ans the SC ...and still keep my Mavic pro .
But ... as the Mavic pro doesnt work with the SC .... maybe l will buy a Mavic 2 pro ...for a back up ..
Rumour is Update stated as 2 weeks from release . hmmmmm

does this Monitor work with MAVIC AIR 2? How would you get the App if it's just a monitor?
The monitor actually connects to the Smart Controller via a short HDMI cable and thus repeats what is displayed on the SC screen and can be configured (via the SC) to deliver just the camera view without the navigation data. The monitor does not use a DJI app...it's just a monitor. Being the SC does have the HDMI output, you can also connect it to your home TV monitor HDMI input and view your photos and videos stored on the SC. The Smart Controller communicates with the drone via DJI GO4 just like your smart phone. Having said that, the Air 2 only uses the DJI Fly app and not DJI GO4 app, so currently the SC and the Air 2 are not compatible until DJI releases a firmware update for the SC (and DJI Fly) allowing for full use of DJI Fly and thus the Air 2 with the SC. Supposedly DJI are working on this, but has not been confirmed to date. So just to be clear, the monitor is just that, a monitor. It is only compatible with devices that use HDMI ports. Hope this helps.

The monitor actually connects to the Smart Controller via a short HDMI cable and thus repeats what is displayed on the SC screen and can be configured (via the SC) to deliver just the camera view without the navigation data. The monitor does not use a DJI app...it's just a monitor. Being the SC does have the HDMI output, you can also connect it to your home TV monitor HDMI input and view your photos and videos stored on the SC. The Smart Controller communicates with the drone via DJI GO4 just like your smart phone. Having said that, the Air 2 only uses the DJI Fly app and not DJI GO4 app, so currently the SC and the Air 2 are not compatible until DJI releases a firmware update for the SC (and DJI Fly) allowing for full use of DJI Fly and thus the Air 2 with the SC. Supposedly DJI are working on this, but has not been confirmed to date. So just to be clear, the monitor is just that, a monitor. It is only compatible with devices that use HDMI ports. Hope this helps.
Thanks. I do have a smart controller but it does not work with the Mavic Air 2, I'll have to wait...

I finally got to fly the MA2 this morning. I had the tablet bracket on the controller then the iPad Mini. It really is a lot of unnecessary trouble plus it just isn’t bright enough. I think it’s time to order the SC.

When I go out to fly, I like to hit several spots and I don’t like fiddling around with monitor brackets and monitors. I just want to get out of the car and fly.

Anyone heard anything about the firmware update to be able to use the SC?

From DJI Support today when I said it was just a rumor.

Typical DJI....they tell you what everybody already knows, but leave out what everybody wants to know = WHEN. lol.

Even just a ballpark estimation would suffice, but no, just enough to sell more quads. ;D

Typical DJI....they tell you what everybody already knows, but leave out what everybody wants to know = WHEN. lol.

Even just a ballpark estimation would suffice, but no, just enough to sell more quads. ;D

Well actually that’s better confirmation than we were getting for a while.

And it’s never a good idea to release a possible date until you are pretty confident you can hit it. Miss even a ballpark estimation and you get people riled up if you miss it.

Reactions: hidroela
Well actually that’s better confirmation than we were getting for a while.

And it’s never a good idea to release a possible date until you are pretty confident you can hit it. Miss even a ballpark estimation and you get people riled up if you miss it.
This must explain the response I receivedScreenshot_20200522-223630_Twitter.jpg

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78