DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Smart Controller Firmware to Work With Mavic Air 2

All we’ve got to go on is DJI have stated that an updated will be delivered for the SC. You all know that DJI never give an actual delivery date for any FW / SW improvements, the first we ever know about these is when notification appears in the App Store, or on RC monitor screen. I don’t know how the SC update will be communicated, probably a posting on the official DJI forum?

I bought one and just returned to B&H today. No need to have $800 doorstop and will buy once DJI actually announces whenever the heck that may be.

Reactions: Akademik
I really wish they would make this a priority I can’t stand using my iPhone the brightness is horrible and when gets too hot always goes dim on me making it that much worse. Please DJI hurry up!!! ??
I completely agree. I am enjoying myself today making a sunshade for my iPhone. Hopefully it gets a little bit better.

Attachments

• 2020-06-11 15.39.30.jpg
    2020-06-11 15.39.30.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 35
  • P1030088.JPG
    P1030088.JPG
    5.5 MB · Views: 36
Reactions: suade8880
I completely agree. I am enjoying myself today making a sunshade for my iPhone. Hopefully it gets a little bit better.
Cheaper than a SC. I would even appreciate a new SC with the screen up top and allow a high trade in value for those who want to upgrade.

I've heard you can install the Fly app on the SC but it will not connect to the MA2. I suspect the upcoming SC firmware updates Ocusync 2.0 as the MA2 has an enhanced version it.
Yep, I just did this yesterday. Was able to load the FLY app, the app showed controller connected, I select mavic air 2, then you can click the view camera button, and get to the link controller option, controller starts beeping. I then put the drone in linking mode by holding down the power button and the drone confirms going in to linking mode. But the controller just times out. So there is likely new firmware needed on either the drone, the controller, or possibly both.

Reactions: Osbornsm and LeeG
Yep, I just did this yesterday. Was able to load the FLY app, the app showed controller connected, I select mavic air 2, then you can click the view camera button, and get to the link controller option, controller starts beeping. I then put the drone in linking mode by holding down the power button and the drone confirms going in to linking mode. But the controller just times out. So there is likely new firmware needed on either the drone, the controller, or possibly both.
But it’s already been said before that DJI haven’t released the necessary SDK for the Mavic Air 2, so it was never going to work.

Usually never say never but in this case, maybe it is. Another month, maybe 2 months or a year? I'm starting lose faith. Struck a good deal locally on the SC for $500 and thought I was luckiest person alive but now all that don't mean squat.:(

Usually never say never but in this case, maybe it is. Another month, maybe 2 months or a year? I'm starting lose faith. Struck a good deal locally on the SC for $500 and thought I was luckiest person alive but now all that don't mean squat.:(

I think because it was all so new we all thought "a future software release" probably meant "the next software release". But really, the exact works DJI said make it more tenuous than that. Especially in light of the official DJI channels of recent. It sounds a lot like, maybe somewhere down the line after a bunch of other software projects for products I don't have it might get done. I think with the MA2 release it downgraded the priority of SC support for DJI. I was took in as well. I've asked DJI for more specificity. I also asked if they will have a buy back option for SC for MA2 owners. I can wait a few months, but they are not giving any hint at all as to even a possible release date. In "developer speak" that really says to me they are not even working on it now, and it could simple be on a long list that could change as new hardware is released. I suspect DJI is understaffed for software developers, but not engineers. I love the MA2, but I hate the controller arrangement. I've tried to set up a tablet for Fly, but I got a higher end Samsung the other day for it, and found it is a 32-bit OS, so no Fly on my tablet either. It would be so easy for DJI to turn out a 32-bit ARM version of Fly. I write Android software, I know it is simply a build option. But they don't want to even try to test or support it. Sounds like a team who can't keep up, and has lost hope. Getting there myself.

FWIW from DJI support:
"Our sincerest apologies for the delayed responses as we are currently experiencing a high number of emails due to the COVID -19 Lockdown. We are continuously answering everyone's email as quickly as possible. Your patience is well appreciated.

We truly appreciate your interest in our DJI products. Allow me to assist you with this concern, as of the moment, Smart Controller is not yet compatible with the MAVIC AIR 2.No worries since other customer is requesting to make this compatible, it is already on the process for testing on our R&D department."

• Love
Reactions: LeeG and LoganAir
FWIW from DJI support:
"Our sincerest apologies for the delayed responses as we are currently experiencing a high number of emails due to the COVID -19 Lockdown. We are continuously answering everyone's email as quickly as possible. Your patience is well appreciated.

We truly appreciate your interest in our DJI products. Allow me to assist you with this concern, as of the moment, Smart Controller is not yet compatible with the MAVIC AIR 2.No worries since other customer is requesting to make this compatible, it is already on the process for testing on our R&D department."
That's more info than we've had in the last several months. ? Don't understand why DJI won't supply the same info on their own website.

FWIW from DJI support:

Nice to know that they work with it anyway??

This crap about delays due to Covid is getting real old!! Come on DJI

Reactions: Osbornsm
there's no scale high enough to show how disappointed l am at DJI for this lack of support , people, like this site, go out of their way to pass on information from DJI only to have them fail to produce . Yeah its only $1000.00 bucks that lm out of pocket , lol wait that IS why l'm pissed off :)

Just curious, but what are used Smart Controllers selling for nowadays?

I got tired of waiting for DJI and 'invested in' a Mavic 2 Zoom that I could fly right away with the Smart Controller I bought to use with the MA2. I'm sure FW will come eventually for the MA2/SC combo, but in the meantime I am loving the Zoom too...and I'm flying a lot more as all I do is switch on the SC and the drone and fly....no more cell phone in the MavMount holder and USB C cables. Game changer for me living in Vermont where there's a lake, mountain or incredible vista around seemingly every corner. Best yet, no one gives darn where you fly pretty much.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cjd54