DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Smart Controller Firmware to Work With Mavic Air 2

Seachief

Reactions
Windsor County Vermont near New Hampshire line
I understand DJI has committed to updating the Smart Controller to support the Mavic Air 2....Anyone else looking forward to using them together? I guess I'll have to try and get my Samsung Note 9 into the new springy phone holder on top of the new controller until they update the Smart Controller. Hope it fits in its cae.

Reactions: DirtyHobo
Yes, and i wont buy it till i know for sure it will work with the SC, i wish they would sell the MA2 cheaper without the controller!

So my thoughts on that go hand in hand with camera parameter adjustments that seem to be missing...

If they are going to release camera parameters for the SC, then I'd assume they would do the same for the FLY app down the road.

I understand DJI has committed to updating the Smart Controller to support the Mavic Air 2....Anyone else looking forward to using them together? I guess I'll have to try and get my Samsung Note 9 into the new springy phone holder on top of the new controller until they update the Smart Controller. Hope it fits in its cae.

I took a chance, and ordered smart controller and MA2. I know support for this is promised to be forthcoming, anyway. Ordered smart controller from Amazon 5/6, fulfilled by VancityUAV, It arrives Thursday 5/14. I ordered MA2 directly from DJI 5/2, it arrives Friday 5/15. Should be a fun weekend coming up!

I have seen other posts saying it is possible to download FLY Android APK (i.e. not via Google app store) to Windows. It is one of the links on the download page. And then it is supposed to be possible to install the APK file on the Smart Controller. No other details given. If true, that would mean it requires a back way to get FLY on the SC. But of course FLY is required for MA2. It is my understanding the GO 4 app already on the controller has been OPTIMIZED for the SC. Purely theory of mine, but my guess is FLY is not yet fully optimized for SC (hence the future release), but may work? I will know soon.

Has anyone else installed FLY on SC?

I have ordered MA 2 but wait with the smart controller until I hear here that it works :)
Probably smart. I have not side loaded it. I am a software developer, and I can see that it may only hobble at best, if it can even interact with the SC as it would through USB connection to a smart phone. But I really do anticipate this is coming from DJI.

But with the new controller style do you think they will make a new SC with the screen on the top and antenna integrated?

I've heard you can install the Fly app on the SC but it will not connect to the MA2. I suspect the upcoming SC firmware updates Ocusync 2.0 as the MA2 has an enhanced version it.

Reactions: LeeG
I've heard you can install the Fly app on the SC but it will not connect to the MA2. I suspect the upcoming SC firmware updates Ocusync 2.0 as the MA2 has an enhanced version it.

Just guessing on the plan, but I think SC is a forward product for DJI, and they surely must have a vision for it to be the tool that does it all to support their newest products. That's why I think it is likely coming soon.

Reactions: LoganAir
I'm with you LeeG, I'm pretty sure DJI (with all of it's reputation) will come through rather quickly. I too purchased the MA2 and the Smart Controller on the same day, once I'd read DJI's statement on the update of the SC to FLY. Sure didn't want to pull out the RC that comes with it, but, I'll have to until the firmware comes out. While I do like the RC, and it works great but would rather do the SC thing. Waiting patiently........

Reactions: LeeG and LoganAir
I've really enjoyed flying the Zoom with the SC and do hope DJI makes this happen with the MA2 and their future projects. It may take some time before we see it, but I'll remain optimistic.

Reactions: Delmavic
What’s the benefit of the smart controller?
For me it's the self-contained setup aspect. No phone and no cords...just flip the switch and fly. The screen is considerably larger than a cell phone and loads brighter in the direct sunlight. Where I'm located, flying in the heat of the summer, I also don''t have to worry about my iPhone over-temping and shutting down.

Last edited:
For me it's the self-contained setup aspect. No phone and no cords...just flip the switch and fly. The screen is considerably larger that a cell phone and loads brighter in the direct sunlight. Where I'm located, flying in the heat of the summer, I also don''t have to worry about my iPhone over-temping and shutting down.
Makes sense I’ve been looking at getting one I am just trying to find out more about it thanks!

I too purchased the MA2 and the Smart Controller on the same day <snip> Waiting patiently........

Today was rainy here. So I found something new to do with my SC until the MA2 upgrade is ready. I downloaded and installed the DJI Flight Simulator Free Trial. Among many others, it operates using your new SC! I tried my skills flying in a few different situations. There was also racing on several tracks you can try to improve your time. What a blast! It is not obvious how to operate it from the screen, so I HIGHLY recommend downloading the manual first, and then it is very clear. But it is cool you can choose between all 3 stick modes, and try some tight maneuvers. Being new to the MA2 I think it will be a good way to learn to fly FPV. The pause flight button on the controller gives options. You can choose to simulate various Mavic models (no MA2 yet). And from what little I have flown my MA2 it seems extremely realistic in how it controls a real drown. The island tour on my 4K monitor was awesome. C1 and C2 buttons on the back of the control are used a lot. There are 4 view modes you can swap between, like perspective, follow drown, FPV seeing controller, and FPV full screen. Something fun on a rainy day, and I think it will improve my flying skills that will apply directly to real flight.

I live in the desert near Vegas a(used to live in Spokane) and it's pretty much sunny hear most days. My problem is I have to drive a bit to get to some nice mountains scenery and canyons or water for that matter. Thanks for the info on using my new SC, that sounds like fun and will surely help me learn to us it. This is my fourth drone, MP MPZ, MM, and now the MA2 but never used the SC. Finally sprung the big bucks and got it. Looking forward to using it....thanks again.

P.S. So in love with the MA2. I may marry her when the SC firmware comes out to sync them up!

• Haha
Reactions: LeeG
Today was rainy here. So I found something new to do with my SC until the MA2 upgrade is ready. I downloaded and installed the DJI Flight Simulator Free Trial. Among many others, it operates using your new SC! I tried my skills flying in a few different situations. There was also racing on several tracks you can try to improve your time. What a blast! It is not obvious how to operate it from the screen, so I HIGHLY recommend downloading the manual first, and then it is very clear. But it is cool you can choose between all 3 stick modes, and try some tight maneuvers. Being new to the MA2 I think it will be a good way to learn to fly FPV. The pause flight button on the controller gives options. You can choose to simulate various Mavic models (no MA2 yet). And from what little I have flown my MA2 it seems extremely realistic in how it controls a real drown. The island tour on my 4K monitor was awesome. C1 and C2 buttons on the back of the control are used a lot. There are 4 view modes you can swap between, like perspective, follow drown, FPV seeing controller, and FPV full screen. Something fun on a rainy day, and I think it will improve my flying skills that will apply directly to real flight.
Have you tested if SM connects to MA2. Read somewhere that it works except the gimball control wheel?

Have you tested if SM connects to MA2.
I had originally intended to give it a try, but after thinking about it I decided there were several likely several potential problem areas, so have decided to wait. I see release turn arounds for SC are anywhere from 1 to 4 months apart typically, and sometimes went 8+ months between releases, so we may have a very rough gauge from that of what to expect. Probably has to do a lot with new compatible product releases.

I had originally intended to give it a try, but after thinking about it I decided there were several likely several potential problem areas, so have decided to wait. I see release turn arounds for SC are anywhere from 1 to 4 months apart typically, and sometimes went 8+ months between releases, so we may have a very rough gauge from that of what to expect. Probably has to do a lot with new compatible product releases.
Ok. It seems that I need to use the original controller with the iPhone for a while then.
I don't like it at all, my idea was to wait with connection to SC was updated. Don't think I can wait that long :)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cryhav0c