DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Smart controller is a game changer for me...

Majestic

Reactions
Gotta say it was definitely tough for me to take the plunge but I am so glad that I did. Today I flew my Mavic 2 Pro for the first time with a smart controller and for me it was game changing. The idea that I can literally turn the controller on, turn the drone on, and be in the air in less than two or three minutes is amazing. No cables to mess with. No phones to plug-in or connect. Simple easy and quick. I went through three batteries and it was simply just a joy. Anyway, haven’t found a con yet but it is also too soon to tell. Just thought I’d share my initial observations.

Fred

only con i had was going from a 8in tablet to the smaller screen. but the charging and setup and breakdown trump that of a tablet.

the lanyard on the SRC is a good add too

I love mine. I did the google play load and the only thing I need now is a way to lock the screen for security... Other then that, it's a home run with my M2P.

I love mine. I did the google play load and the only thing I need now is a way to lock the screen for security... Other then that, it's a home run with my M2P.

Google Play load? Can you share some details about that?

Does it allow you to fly under LAANC flights using it?
I fly currently with the CS cuz I love the display. I use my phone to get LAANC clearance... works fine using AirMap, and likely would work fine with other clearance apps.
BTW, I want an SC.. just debating the smaller screen vs. the ease of use and transport.

I fly currently with the CS cuz I love the display. I use my phone to get LAANC clearance... works fine using AirMap, and likely would work fine with other clearance apps.
BTW, I want an SC.. just debating the smaller screen vs. the ease of use and transport.
i downsized from a 8in tablet to the SRC and dont regret it. plus theres the HDMI output to throw the image to a larger screen if need be

With my smart controller set as the primary controller, I connect goggles to the HDMI output and let the person wearing the goggles use a standard controller as the secondary controller to fly the drone. I can take control any time. No phone or tablet is needed for the secondary controller.

Reactions: Majestic
For me, its the setup speed that wins - im actually flying more.
Previously if walking or biking and i saw somewhere that might make some nice aerial images half the time i couldn't be bothered unpacking everything, screwing together the tablet mount, attaching it to the controller, plugging in the cables, loading the app etc and id end up not flying.
Now there's no setup and i can be in the air in under a minute. Same for repacking.

Ive downsized from an 8" screen to the SC but i can live with that.

The biggest con for me is the screen isn't always bright enough. Its significantly better than any mobile device out there but it still isn't overly bright for direct, overhead tropical sunlight. I can see it well enough to fly (with my sunglasses off) but not massively clearly. With a mobile device it was often impossible to fly in direct sun without hoping for/wandering around trying to find some shade.
I wish there was a brighter option.

For me, its the setup speed that wins - im actually flying more.
Previously if walking or biking and i saw somewhere that might make some nice aerial images half the time i couldn't be bothered unpacking everything, screwing together the tablet mount, attaching it to the controller, plugging in the cables, loading the app etc and id end up not flying.
Now there's no setup and i can be in the air in under a minute. Same for repacking.

Ive downsized from an 8" screen to the SC but i can live with that.

The biggest con for me is the screen isn't always bright enough. Its significantly better than any mobile device out there but it still isn't overly bright for direct, overhead tropical sunlight. I can see it well enough to fly (with my sunglasses off) but not massively clearly. With a mobile device it was often impossible to fly in direct sun without hoping for/wandering around trying to find some shade.
I wish there was a brighter option.
There is a brighter option. I bought the SC a few months back, then saw the Feel World 7 inch screen that is an amazing 2,200 NITS, it is the model FW 279 and it has HDMI in and out. So I bought one on ebay for $177.50 open box. Super deal but you can get one new for about $230.

I then connected it to my SC and choose the option for the external display to show Camera View, instead of Mirror the screen. The Feel World is very light and I bought a 3D printed connection adapter on ebay for $44. It clicks on to the SC and the 7 inch 2,200NIT screen bolts to that mount above the SC. Now I have the best of both worlds when I need a super bright screen for strong direct sunlight, like summer in the Alps. I connect the SC with the Monitor with a one foot HDMI to HDMI cable which was under $7.

Reactions: spicciani2
That would immediately eliminate the advantage of portable and fast setup though which to me is the whole point of the SC.
Otherwise i'd just have got the ultra-bright crystal sky.

That would immediately eliminate the advantage of portable and fast setup though which to me is the whole point of the SC.
Otherwise i'd just have got the ultra-bright crystal sky.
Not really because the time it takes to clip the bracket on is about 30 seconds and then attach the 7 inch screen another 20 seconds and then just plug in the cables. The screen of 2,200NITS is instantly on and yes it means more parts but it is simply plug and play. To have that bright a screen weighing far, far less than a superbright large CS plus it is brighter than the CS, is a winner in my books, for the times I need that added brightness. You don't have to have it all together every time you fly, though you get spoiled soon with the larger screen and extra brightness.

If about 1.5 minutes more time to set up is that important, then maybe you don't really have the time to fly anyway. I went from a Phone set up with poor screen readability in bright sun and time in set up, to the SC which was a huge benefit but then at only 1,000NITS, there was still something to be desired, a brighter and larger screen. So this option covers all the bases. I've been a pilot for many, many years and flight instructor too and I can assure you that in aviation, everything is a compromise, there is no way around it. No one makes everything we want in a single package and there never will be such an option available, or we'd all have it and there would be nothing else out there selling.

Therefore, if you want all that you want and no one makes it, in one single thing (and no one EVER does, in aviation) then we have to sit back and accept those compromises, or just not complain about the short comings of a particular set up, or choose not to fly. To me, clipping on one more thing and add another minute or two of set up, to get what I have, is well worth it. And if I felt I did not have that extra minute or two to spend in set up, then I feel I really did not have the time to safely fly anyway, that day. We never rush in real aviation, it takes as long as it takes, for safety and convenience. But I di understand your point and it is still a lot easier than using a standard controller and a phone, to set things up but soooo much better having the screen size and brightness as the benefit.

Last edited:
Adding a minute or 2 to setup (and the same to disconnect) does often mean i dont bother flying, especially if it looks debatable whether it'll make a decent image in the first place. Like i said, i fly way more now on "i wonder if this will look good? flights while hiking or biking than i used to due to the fast setup.
I dont want to spent 5 mins setting up for a 5 second photo unless its *REALLY* unique.
If im with people they already dislike the drone delays so an extra few minutes watching me set up a contoller, fit a bracket, screw on a tablet holder, add a screen, add some cables and wait for an app to load is even more unwelcome.

There's also the extra weight and bulk. Ive already got 18kg or so of camera gear on my back, i dont need more wires, more boxes, more brackets and more weight on top of that.

(and this is absolutely nothing at all to do with aviation.). A SC that has the ultra-bright screen for me would be perfect but for whatever reason, its not an option.

Well first off there is no app to wait to load with the added screen, since this is what the SC is doing as you switch on anyway (added screen or not), so no need to add that into the mix, plus it is not "Cables" just a single cable, again about max 10 secs. The weight of this 7 inch screen is very slight and far less than any CS. As for the make or break of taking a photo, I would expect that if that were the case, it may be weather conditions or light that is fading and therefore you would not need the added brightness that this screen give, since the SC would more than suffice. Therefor this is again a moot point and not something to add to the mix.

I understand about others not being too happy waiting for you to take that drone photo, I have that sometimes too with family, but before long you either cave in to them and don't bother flying the drone, or understand that your needs should also be met, from time to time, again a compromise on your part and your parties part. If you care about them enough to be concerned about seconds, then they too should be caring about you wishing to get that unique photo. If they don't care about your wants that much then maybe best not to include them when you go out to shoot, but that's just my opinion.

As for a five minute setup for a five second photo, we mostly don't do that because it would not be worth it for anything other than a "REALLY" unique photo anyway. And to capture such a photo, even a ten minute added setup time would be worth every second of those ten minutes to get the photo.

I understand about the added parts to carry and there is no way around that, so best to never be concerned about the larger and brighter screen wishing, because it there was to be such a thing, it would weigh more and be larger, so you are back to square one of what you do not want to add to your pack. Therefore again, this is a moot point in the discussion. It sounds like you are saying you want a larger screen and you want a brighter image but you do not want to accept that it will be a larger package and a heavier package. So basically, you can not have it, since there is no such thing available. I suppose this ends our discussion too.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan