DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Smart Controller, is it any good ?

THE CYBORG

Reactions
How good is the Smart Controller compared to a 10” tablet ?

I have used an iPad air 2 but hated the thing, I use a Samsung S5e at the moment & like it.
The thing is after getting my MP2 I found I am not using my MP so am thinking of selling it along with the fly more kit & iPad to help fund a Smart Controller and more battery's for the MP2.
After being disappointed with the brightness ad aspect ratio of the iPad that most people seem to recommend I must admit I am a little dubious of splashing the cash on a Smart Controller.

I would appreciate the views of anyone with one.

Yes, the S

I have used an iPad air 2 but hated the thing, I use a Samsung S5e at the moment & like it.
The thing is after getting my MP2 I found I am not using my MP so am thinking of selling it along with the fly more kit & iPad to help fund a Smart Controller and more battery's for the MP2.
After being disappointed with the brightness ad aspect ratio of the iPad that most people seem to recommend I must admit I am a little dubious of splashing the cash on a Smart Controller.

Yes, the Smart Controller is definitely worth buying. I think it is easier to set up than an iPad or iPhone and there is one thing less to carry around.

Reactions: THE CYBORG
I am a little apprehensive going down to what will look like a tiny screen, 10” to 5” is a big drop.?

I like it. Haven’t had any issues with updates or battery. If you can afford it, I say get it. I like keeping my personal smart phone separate from my toys. I’ve been able to install other flying related apps with no issues. I’m also hearing it will be supported in future aircraft... at least this year.

I like my SC a lot. I did add a 7" HDMI monitor to it that just displays the camera feed, no telemetry, at 2000 nits. Super bright and easy to frame in the shots I want. Even if you don't add a monitor for flying, having the HDMI out is a nice feature of the SC.

I am a little apprehensive going down to what will look like a tiny screen, 10” to 5” is a big drop.?
[/QUOTE
For me the bright screen and quick setup are primo. As for screen size it's a non issue as I wear multifocal contact lenses. These allow one to read small print, or screen, and when you look up see everything in the distance clearly. Got them 14 years ago when a student pilot and found myself switching reading glasses instead of flying the plane.

I like my SC a lot. I did add a 7" HDMI monitor to it that just displays the camera feed, no telemetry, at 2000 nits. Super bright and easy to frame in the shots I want. Even if you don't add a monitor for flying, having the HDMI out is a nice feature of the SC.
I've also thought about augmenting my SC with a HDMI monitor. Which brand did you get and do you "attach" it to the SC with some sort of device so you're able to "hold" both the SC and monitor as a single entity? TIA

Hey Cyborg....I've got a M2P and SC and have found the screen to be bright enough even on sunny days. I agree that the screen is a bit on the small side when dealing with so much information. I may follow Gindra's lead and purchase a HDMI monitor. I like the SC in that there is nothing to hook up, I just fire up the SC, then the drone, they recognize one another almost immediately and I can be airborne very quickly. I haven't tried installing any 3rd party apps on the SC yet but have read that it is possible. I'd like to get Litchi as an upgrade to Waypoints 2. Good luck with your decision!

I like the idea that its fast to get in the air & the screen is bright.

BUT

I don't see the point of a smart controller if its screen is so small that an additional monitor is a suggestion, may as well use what I already have.

Like yourself I ummed and rrrrd.....there was the screen size, the android platform, will it be forward compatible and the cost. I pulled the trigger 6 months ago and will never go back to that phaff of chords and clutter. Is it perfect? lord no, but it's very good.

Last edited:
When I bought my M2P I had to decide as well....cost savings was a big part of the decision as it was $750 by itself, but if you bought it bundled in a kit it was only $350. With my Air I was using an iPad or iPhone, and it was a tiny bit of pain setting up the controller with the cables, and for the iPad a mount kit. Nice idea of having basically a controller with built in iPhone sized screen.

Yes, good choice on my part. I really like the SC. Just turn it on and go. Plus, it has an HDMI out on it and I can run it to a 32” TV when I have a client onsite with me. So, I can use an external screen or not.

Reactions: Twocalf
I like the idea that its fast to get in the air & the screen is bright.

BUT

I don't see the point of a smart controller if its screen is so small that an additional monitor is a suggestion, may as well use what I already have.
Your point is well taken. So far I'm just a recreational pilot but I may well get a "commercial" license to see if I can make some money with my drone. I'm thinking that the bigger HDMI monitor would allow clients to better see what the drone is capturing in real time or allow my friends and family to get a better look at the drones POV instead of trying to look over my shoulder.

To be honest, I only occasionally use the screen directly on the SC. That's not because the screen is bad (or too small, which was initially my greatest concern) rather I have found something I prefer. I use the USB C port on the SC hooked up to a pair of BT35e's. The BT35e's are a mirror of the SC screen and it is mind blowingly good !........and no, you can't use the USB C port on the regular controller with the BT35e's.

Thanks for all the input everyone Thumbswayup
If only I could test one out.
When I got my first drone an Xiaomi 4k I flew it once with my phone then got a bracket so I could use my tablet with a decent size screen.
The only thing putting me off is the tiny 5.5” screen, if they did a 7.85” like they do with the Crystal Sky I would go for it.
For now I will stay with my 10” tablet.
£579 is a lot to pay for something that I probably won't get on with simply because of the screen size, once you go big its hard going small.
At the moment I like the idea but not the screen size.
Conclusion.
After the lock down is over I think I will sell my Mavic with accessories including the horrible (at least to me) iPad as I don't really use it after getting the MP2 then reconsider the smart controller :rolleyes:

Thanks for all the input everyone Thumbswayup
If only I could test one out.
When I got my first drone an Xiaomi 4k I flew it once with my phone then got a bracket so I could use my tablet with a decent size screen.
The only thing putting me off is the tiny 5.5” screen, if they did a 7.85” like they do with the Crystal Sky I would go for it.
For now I will stay with my 10” tablet.
£579 is a lot to pay for something that I probably won't get on with simply because of the screen size, once you go big its hard going small.
At the moment I like the idea but not the screen size.
Conclusion.
After the lock down is over I think I will sell my Mavic with accessories including the horrible (at least to me) iPad as I don't really use it after getting the MP2 then reconsider the smart controller :rolleyes:

If you look at my avatar picture, I used the Zoom and Smart Controller on a very bright sunny day in a snow covered area. It was very visible in those conditions. I'm a fortunate old fart and can still read without glasses which might help. But also the ease of setting it up (there is no setup) in snowy conditions was a plus, also.

To be honest, I only occasionally use the screen directly on the SC. That's not because the screen is bad (or too small, which was initially my greatest concern) rather I have found something I prefer. I use the USB C port on the SC hooked up to a pair of BT35e's. The BT35e's are a mirror of the SC screen and it is mind blowingly good !........and no, you can't use the USB C port on the regular controller with the BT35e's.
Can you use a BT35e if you wear glasses? I have 20-20 far vision but definitely need glasses for close-up stuff, which I assume would be the case for the projected image inside the BT35e.

I really like mine, it's so simple to go from zero to flying. The display looks great all the time. There's no cables to mess with, unless you want to hookup an external monitor through the HDMI port. It does not have the "playstore" for adding apps, although I have read you can add it by jumping through some hoops. It does have the "Amazon app store", but I feel it is quite limited as far as the number of apps on there. I only use mine as a controller for my drone, and use my phone for other things I wish to do, so I don't find it a problem. The price is crazy, but they are very nice.

LifThor SC Pro / FeelWorld FW279 7" COMBO

Gindra: Thanks for the information! I noticed that Thor is out of Norway but they have retail outlets in the US. I didn't see the "tablet holder" bundled with the FeelWorld monitor combo at the US outlet like shown on Thor's website. Did you order your combo from Norway or buy the tablet holder and monitor separately? I noticed you're located in Oregon, our son lives in Portland and we hope to get out there to see our new granddaughter when the virus stuff has settled down. By chance do you live in the Portland area?

Gindra: Thanks for the information! I noticed that Thor is out of Norway but they have retail outlets in the US. I didn't see the "tablet holder" bundled with the FeelWorld monitor combo at the US outlet like shown on Thor's website. Did you order your combo from Norway or buy the tablet holder and monitor separately? I noticed you're located in Oregon, our son lives in Portland and we hope to get out there to see our new granddaughter when the virus stuff has settled down. By chance do you live in the Portland area?
Yes, I ordered directly from Thor's website. Definitely the way to go. The package comes with HDMI cable and the mount of course. Simple to attach to Smart Controller. No problems ordering or getting the items in a timely way.

I route the camera feed to the Monitor so there is nothing distracting from the photos or video on screen. The normal telemetry only appears on the SC screen. You can have the Monitor mirror the SC screen though if you wish.

We live about an hour southwest of Portland in rural Newberg. Congrats on the new granddaughter! Stay safe. Enjoy your new kit.

Gary

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
čikuli