DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Smart Controller Problems

lrsn

Reactions
I'm having problems with My Mavic 2 Pro Smart Controller which arrived Paired to my new Mavic 2 Pro as I bought the DJI Bundle.

First: Even though I bought a screen protector I never installed it!

Unless I wet my finger, 95% of the time I can't get my Smart Controller to recognize that I'm trying to input a Control Command no matter how hard or soft I tap using the appropriate Function Icon on the Touch Screen! This happens when I try to Auto Take-off, Auto Land, Return-to-home, etc. When I first received my Smart Controller three weeks ago a simple tap would be all that would be required.Note that this is getting progressively worse!

Next Problem:
Precision Landings! When I first received my Smart Controller my Mavic 2 Pro arrived using DJI Go 4 App 4.3.14, and my Aircraft F/W was: 01.00.0400. The Smart Controller F/W was also 01.00.0400 which I upgraded to: 01.00.0530 using DJI Assistant 2 before my first flight! After the first week I upgraded the DJI Go 4 App to: 4.3.16! Everything still worked fine!

Starting three days ago I lost Precision Landings! Now I have to jump in and direct the last few feet to keep it from landing in some adjacent bushes! Today I did five RTH landings and it would miss my bright orange landing pad by 8 to 10 feet. Before taking off I'd purposely have it state the Home Point has been recorded on my landing pad! The OAT (Outside Air Temperature) has been in the mid seventies "F", all Take-offs have been up at
8,500' ASL (I'm up in the Rocky Mountains)! Both the Smart Controller and Aircraft Batteries were fully charged!
I figure that if this is happening to me it also could be affecting someone else!!! Does DJI still monitor this forum? I haven't used the DJI Forum since 2016 which I couldn't get into even though my PW was accepted.
Help!!!!!

Next Problem:
Precision Landings!

Dou you lift the drone up after take off at least 7m vertically? That is necessary for precision landing to work.
If you select automatic take off it doesn't go up high enough. You can manually push it up further but I don't know if it's the same.

I'm having problems with My Mavic 2 Pro Smart Controller which arrived Paired to my new Mavic 2 Pro as I bought the DJI Bundle.

First: Even though I bought a screen protector I never installed it!
Unless I wet my finger, 95% of the time I can't get my Smart Controller to recognize that I'm trying to input a Control Command no matter how hard or soft I tap using the appropriate Function Icon on the Touch Screen! This happens when I try to Auto Take-off, Auto Land, Return-to-home, etc. When I first received my Smart Controller three weeks ago a simple tap would be all that would be required.Note that this is getting progressively worse!
The first thing I'd do is a Factory Reset on the SC. Go to Settings - Factory Data Reset. If this doesn't solve the touch input problem I would send it in for warranty repair.

Regarding making inputs with yr fingers, it does seem fiddly, my theory is that everything is scaled down from a standard iPad 9.7" monitor so some touch areas might be very small. I have found that using a Stylus works very well, u just have to remember to pack it before leaving on a trip.

MaxHam,
I woke up last night thinking that could be my Precision Landing problem. My take-off point for the last 3 days was adjacent to 120' trees and if I lifted off to about 10' I could go under the wide tree branches that were overhanging my driveway and then climb out down my driveway. Always in the past I would have to go vertical to clear the trees. For years with my P3P, my I1V2, my P4, my MP, and my P4PV2 I would go vertical up here in the mountains and also from my backyard at my other home out in the SF Bay Area. I've got to leave early this morning and as soon as I return I'll make sure that I go vertical right over my departure point to set my RTH Point! Thanks for opening my eyes to what I did different for years before!!
Jim
Dou you lift the drone up after take off at least 7m vertically? That is necessary for precision landing to work.
If you select automatic take off it doesn't go up high enough. You can manually push it up further but I don't know if it's the same.

Reactions: MaxHam
Ralph,
I'm going to try a factory reset first and if using a Stylus doesn't hurt the screen I'll also give that a try as I have very large hands and my finger covers two touchscreen inputs at the same time. My Smartphone that I always have with me is a Samsung Note9 that has a built-in removable stylus that I could use. I've noticed that I use my trigger-finger nail even while typing this now on my Smartphone! My Note9 also has an adjustable touchscreen sensitivity control that I wish was available on my SC! Thanks for your suggestion!
Jim

Regarding touchscreens- on some equipment my normally dehydrated self doesn't work well w/some screens. I do ok w/Apple products but not as well as a stylus. I found out this dehydration factoid during security fingerprinting. With some US government scanners, I have a difficult time getting an adequate match after a long flight.

MaxHam,
My Precision Landings problem was 100% operator error. I didn't get back to my Mountain Home until the sun was starting to set but I still had enough to do 3 batteries worth of testing before it was too dark for the bottom sensors. I repeatedly took off vertically to at least 30' AGL right up to 150' in every possible direction! Every RTH was at 400' as years ago my new at the time P4 was snared by a 360' tall

Continued - My Connection was lost-
Ponderosa tree. Thanks to a new Macro Polo that I had just received and charged the night before I recovered it!
I must have flown multiple RTH flights with my M2P for over an hour plus and every landing was within 2 inches of where it took off from all in the center of my Landing Pad!
I still have problems with my Smart Controller which I'll review later!
Jim

G36pilot,
Every time I get fingerprinted renewing Concealed Carry License I have the same problem! I'm told that as we get older the skin of our fingerprints get thinner! I'm 79 now but I found out today that my Controller Touchscreen intermittently keeps screwing up even using a Stylus designed for Touchscreens! Much more to come!

I finally tried a RTH using the actual RTH button when all that happened was my screen changed to show my library of photos and videos! It never entered RTH and it was then that my Touchscreen became 100% unresponsive!!! Finally I uncovered my Touchscreen lack of responsiveness problem. I'd have to reboot my Smart Controller to have my Touchscreen back! I did this about 6 times on different flights and each time it just reacted the same! Has anyone else experienced the same? Next comes a Factory Reset!

SC is over priced and over rated. I'll I hear is bad things. I use Samsung 10 + and never have issues.

SC is over priced and over rated. I'll I hear is bad things. I use Samsung 10 + and never have issues.
I just got mine in a bundle with used M2P. Excellent piece of kit. Works flawlessly, and I love the fact that I don't have to mess with any cables, holders and hoods. Less than 3 minutes, and I am up in the air...

Reactions: Coskier
I just got mine in a bundle with used M2P. Excellent piece of kit. Works flawlessly, and I love the fact that I don't have to mess with any cables, holders and hoods. Less than 3 minutes, and I am up in the air...

x2. I'll never go back to flying with a phone or tablet.

Reactions: Latawiec
You might be sorry. When you send it back, you could get a refurbished unit. I know a few that have, and weren't to happy.
I never did the Factory Reset but I'm taking the easy way out by returning my Mavic 2 Pro with the Smart Controller to Amazon Prime and I'll have a complete new identical Mavic 2 Pro with the Smart Controller by Wednesday, 08-21-09 only without the Smart Controller problems! Of the 6 new DJI Drones (P3P, I1V2, P4, MP, P4PV2 and this M2P) that I've bought I've never had this many problems! My real problems were only with the DJI Smart Controller, never with the Mavic 2 Pro Aircraft!

My new M2P with SC is a new outright purchase from Amazon Prime. It's not an exchange but a new purchase. I'm not exchanging it with DJI as I've also heard of people getting refurbished exchange units from DJI. That's why over the years I've bought all 6 of my new DJI drones from Amazon! My new M2P/SC Bundle will be arriving tomorrow after which I'll ship my defective one back to Amazon.

I relize that, but I have heard they do the same, as far as used or refurbished. Just be aware.
My new M2P with SC is a new outright purchase from Amazon Prime. It's not an exchange but a new purchase. I'm not exchanging it with DJI as I've also heard of people getting refurbished exchange units from DJI. That's why over the years I've bought all 6 of my new DJI drones from Amazon! My new M2P/SC Bundle will be arriving tomorrow after which I'll ship my defective one back to Amazon.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peehead