DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

So can we legally fly at night (USA)

With a 107 you can fly in most controlled airspace now using LAANC. It is great. You enter your flight plan etc and you get an instant text authorization from the Tower. AirMap has it as a feature.

You do know that AirMap is supporting anti-drone legislation, right?

Reactions: mrhinman
As I understand it... with a 107 you can also fly under hobbiest as long as you are not paticipating in a money making endevor. I log my flights as both 107 and hobbiest. So... If I was to fly at night it would have to be a non profit flight... YES???
That is correct.

See, this doesn't make sense. So, let a hobbyist who just purchased a $300 drone fly carelessly at night vs. let someone who put in the time and effort to study, pass a rigorous test who probably has many hours of flying NOT fly at night?

So the only advantage of 107 is basically work.
Day only unless the faa grants you a wavier.
Guess I will stay a hobbyists. Probably make more money teaching how to fly this thing anyway.
No question at all I cant even get anyone to help me with my M2P but I'm still looking.

See, this doesn't make sense. So, let a hobbyist who just purchased a $300 drone fly carelessly at night vs. let someone who put in the time and effort to study, pass a rigorous test who probably has many hours of flying NOT fly at night?

You would need to take that up with Congress - which passed the Special Rule that created that situation. Of course now they have repealed it.

Reactions: Huskerfan
According to the FAA website part 107 night flight is not allowed.
they say half hour before sunrise or half hour after sunset. The AMA is not the regulatory agency here, there rules are only recommendations to the RC pilots. I have had this discussion to no end, and going to do the research at the FAA website states the above. regardless of what the AMA recommends, or how many lights you have on your drone the rule doesn't change just because you add strobe lights to your drone. I wish this was not true, because night flying can be exciting with all the xmas lights on homes.

As I understand it... with a 107 you can also fly under hobbiest as long as you are not paticipating in a money making endevor. I log my flights as both 107 and hobbiest. So... If I was to fly at night it would have to be a non profit flight... YES???
i do the same thing

you can request a waiver from the FAA, to fly at night. but you have to fill out the request and explain that your operations with be safe.

STUFF2C said:

That is correct

Has nothing to do with money -- it's all intent.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SK farming