DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

sdpy

Reactions
Recently bought the Mavic 3 and it is a huge upgrade from the original Mavic pro in literally every regard. To showcase it's potential I shot a cinematic series at Christie Falls and Big Horn lake (Kelowna BC, Canada). Both spots inspire photographers and videographers to capture the absolute remoteness and desolation after the wildfires in 2009. Please enjoy, and feel free to critique me on style and editing. I'm new to both and appreciate any advice :)

NOTE: Feel free to watch the whole thing, but the highlight reel starts at 2:01 for your viewing pleasure.

There are some great Cinematic Clips but those falls are EPIC , I could spend a year just filming the Falls , there hypnotizing in her power and beauty.

You have sound / Size / Scale / Angles / back ground / and the Journey you give the viewer of the falls from the Start .

With that said I never feel any drone pilot captures the Intensity or the power , much needs to be learned on what is possible , both sound and the recorded flight's.

This place is on my hit list, Do you have more video of the Falls other than the Reel.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. Land on the Water and Talk about the falls.

Reactions: sdpy
Recently bought the Mavic 3 and it is a huge upgrade from the original Mavic pro in literally every regard. To showcase it's potential I shot a cinematic series at Christie Falls and Big Horn lake (Kelowna BC, Canada). Both spots inspire photographers and videographers to capture the absolute remoteness and desolation after the wildfires in 2009. Please enjoy, and feel free to critique me on style and editing. I'm new to both and appreciate any advice :)

NOTE: Feel free to watch the whole thing, but the highlight reel starts at 2:01 for your viewing pleasure.

Great stuff. BUT when I first opened it it started at around 2:05 and was over so fast I never knew what hit me. So I played it again from the start. Very well done Sir. Some great sound and film editing.

Reactions: sdpy
There are some great Cinematic Clips but those falls are EPIC , I could spend a year just filming the Falls , there hypnotizing in her power and beauty.

You have sound / Size / Scale / Angles / back ground / and the Journey you give the viewer of the falls from the Start .

With that said I never feel any drone pilot captures the Intensity or the power , much needs to be learned on what is possible , both sound and the recorded flight's.

This place is on my hit list, Do you have more video of the Falls other than the Reel.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. Land on the Water and Talk about the falls.
The reel started at 2:01 (which is where I linked the youtube video to) :). It really is an epic spot and the trek out there is most definitely worth it!

Great stuff. BUT when I first opened it it started at around 2:05 and was over so fast I never knew what hit me. So I played it again from the start. Very well done Sir. Some great sound and film editing.
The same thing happened to me. It started at 2:00 something and was quickly over.!WTF? I re-started it and it then started from the beginning.

I think the video clips were epic but did not like the harsh contrast between the over exposed rock and falls and deep dark shadows of the the valley. Too bad we cannot have masking tools for video. You either expose for the falls ( which is correct) or for the shadows in this case. Therefore, I would have not tried to get the darkly shadowed ares in the frame.

The several reveal scenes were also dramatic. All in all I would give this a B or B+.

Dale
Miami

The same thing happened to me. It started at 2:00 something and was quickly over.!WTF? I re-started it and it then started from the beginning.

I think the video clips were epic but did not like the harsh contrast between the over exposed rock and falls and deep dark shadows of the the valley. Too bad we cannot have masking tools for video. You either expose for the falls ( which is correct) or for the shadows in this case. Therefore, I would have not tried to get the darkly shadowed ares in the frame.

The several reveal scenes were also dramatic. All in all I would give this a B or B+.

Dale
Miami
Thanks for the tip. I was trying to capture in the golden hour but the cliffs themselves are almost a white rock and the rest of the valley was in shadow. Made it very difficult to expose properly. I will keep working on lighting in the future though, thank you for the input!

Dale
Miami

Look at the Youtube link. The suffix "&t=127s" causes the video to begin playing at the 127 second mark

The OP said in the OP, "NOTE: Feel free to watch the whole thing, but the highlight reel starts at 2:01 for your viewing pleasure" The beginning point was actually at 2:07.

Thanks for the tip. I was trying to capture in the golden hour but the cliffs themselves are almost a white rock and the rest of the valley was in shadow. Made it very difficult to expose properly. I will keep working on lighting in the future though, thank you for the input!
SDPY
Unfortunalty at this stage of Premiere Pro there are no tool to burn/dodge, or mask and edit selectively like in the new Photoshop and Lightroom so we either have to choose the highly lit subject or the dark subject to expose for.

SDPY
Unfortunalty at this stage of Premiere Pro there are no tool to burn/dodge, or mask and edit selectively like in the new Photoshop and Lightroom so we either have to choose the highly lit subject or the dark subject to expose for.
Actually you can mask portions of a video clip in Premiere and make a wide assortment of adjustments to the masked area (or it's inverse). The mask can be "automatically tracked" from frame to frame (e.g. a face) or the mask can be manually key framed to follow movement of the clip (e.g. bright sky versus dark foreground). The mask can be feathered to make the effect less noticeable. Thus far I've only used it to blur faces and license plates on vehicles. There are numerous YouTube videos showing how to use this tool. Cheers!

Actually you can mask portions of a video clip in Premiere and make a wide assortment of adjustments to the masked area (or it's inverse). The mask can be "automatically tracked" from frame to frame (e.g. a face) or the mask can be manually key framed to follow movement of the clip (e.g. bright sky versus dark foreground). The mask can be feathered to make the effect less noticeable. Thus far I've only used it to blur faces and license plates on vehicles. There are numerous YouTube videos showing how to use this tool. Cheers!
Yes- I've looked at those You Tubes. I cannot follow them very well. But thanks for the tip.

Yes- I've looked at those You Tubes. I cannot follow them very well. But thanks for the tip.
You are welcome! Are you familiar with key framing or experimented with key framing any effect in Premiere? It may seem complex but once you get your feet wet to see how it works it's not too difficult. A good example is speed ramping where you drop key frames to start and stop the effect and then adjust the speed of the clip between the two key frames. Smoothing the "in" and "out" points help to sell any effect and there are several interpolation methods to choose from which make the effect seem more natural and smooth.

You should try a basic mask with one of your splendid travel video clips where the sky is over exposed, I'll bet you'll be surprised at how easy it is!

You are welcome! Are you familiar with key framing or experimented with key framing any effect in Premiere? It may seem complex but once you get your feet wet to see how it works it's not too difficult. A good example is speed ramping where you drop key frames to start and stop the effect and then adjust the speed of the clip between the two key frames. Smoothing the "in" and "out" points help to sell any effect and there are several interpolation methods to choose from which make the effect seem more natural and smooth.

You should try a basic mask with one of your splendid travel video clips where the sky is over exposed, I'll bet you'll be surprised at how easy it is!
I am very familiar with key framing in Premiere Pro. I use it for opacity dissolve in or out, , zooming in and out, Ken Burns effect, etc.

What I need is an ability to use the pen tool to outline an area I want to change such as a dark foreground in a sunset/sunrise where the sensor is overwhelmed by the sun, and the foreground is underexposed. I want to outline the foreground with the pen, then increase the exposure of that portion of the frame only. Can you recommend a You Tube or video on that?

I am very familiar with key framing in Premiere Pro. I use it for opacity dissolve in or out, , zooming in and out, Ken Burns effect, etc.

What I need is an ability to use the pen tool to outline an area I want to change such as a dark foreground in a sunset/sunrise where the sensor is overwhelmed by the sun, and the foreground is underexposed. I want to outline the foreground with the pen, then increase the exposure of that portion of the frame only. Can you recommend a You Tube or video on that?
Dale, sorry for the delay but "she who must be obeyed" had me weeding the garden. Here's a link where the guy works on the sky and not the foreground but if he had used the pen tool to outline the foreground he could have worked on that portion of the exposure:

The use of an "adjustment layer" seems to be a method that is commonly used to achieve what you're looking for.

Good luck!

Dale, sorry for the delay but "she who must be obeyed" had me weeding the garden. Here's a link where the guy works on the sky and not the foreground but if he had used the pen tool to outline the foreground he could have worked on that portion of the exposure:

The use of an "adjustment layer" seems to be a method that is commonly used to achieve what you're looking for.

Good luck!
Thanks for spending the time. I will check out the video. I thought the Mavic Forum came before wives!

Yep, I use key framing and cloud tracking on DaVinci Resolve to work with what I can. Unfortunately those conditions were just nuts and being an inexperienced editor it was a little more then I could handle. In retrospect I will try timing my shoots when the lighting is consistent.

Thank You all for your input, I have lots to learn and appreciate the wisdom.

Reactions: Twocalf

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS