DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

So your battery is running low

One thing to remember is that the angle of attack for the drone varies greatly as the speed increases; therefore the drag would not be same as level flying. With a fixed wing plane the angle will not change so much so the drag would be relative to speed. For the drone it's different.
Actually, I suspect DJI has some evidence to show the most efficient way to return is a 45-degree tilt at top speed. Check your manual for various ways RTH works.
Agreed on the Mavic 3 anyway. The last 3 times I’ve had relatively low battery I’ve returned manually in speed mode and I’m sure I’ve used less power than I would have with a normal speed return. Qualification is that on each occasion there was little or no headwind and the aircraft was considerably higher than my position.

The reason I bring this up is because there is an author on DP Review is suggesting to people that when their battery is low to put it into sport mode and speed back.
Flying in Sport Mode will burn the battery faster and give less distance than flying at a more economical speed.
Flying too slowly means that more of the battery is used just keeping the drone in the air and less to propulsion.

The sweet spot for getting the most distance when you need it will be close to full speed in Normal Mode
Actually, I suspect DJI has some evidence to show the most efficient way to return is a 45-degree tilt at top speed.
If your drone could tilt 45° (this doesn't happen in normal flight), flight would be fast.
But the motors would have to run very fast because only half of their thrust would be holding the drone up and half to forward propulsion.
This would be very uneconomical and burn the battery faster than Sport Mode does.

Flying in Sport Mode will burn the battery faster and give less distance than flying at a more economical speed.
Flying too slowly means that more of the battery is used just keeping the drone in the air and less to propulsion.

The sweet spot for getting the most distance when you need it will be close to full speed in Normal Mode

That is what I assume but it is still just theory without an actual test. Someone else can say that the battery is used faster in sport but it more than makes up for it in distance. Both statements are just opinon without some kind of scientific rigor to prove them.

Agreed on the Mavic 3 anyway. The last 3 times I’ve had relatively low battery I’ve returned manually in speed mode and I’m sure I’ve used less power than I would have with a normal speed return. Qualification is that on each occasion there was little or no headwind and the aircraft was considerably higher than my position.

Everybody is sure that their idea is right in this instance. Both arguments cannot be correct.

Reactions: christangey
That is what I assume but it is still just theory without an actual test. Someone else can say that the battery is used faster in sport but it more than makes up for it in distance. Both statements are just opinon without some kind of scientific rigor to prove them.
It's not just a theory.
Sport Mode definitely doesn't make more distance with the increased speed.
Increased speed comes at a cost of reduced vertical thrust, that has to be made up with even higher motor revs.
If you want to get max distance from a battery, fly at full speed in Normal Mode.
It's been tested and proved many times and with a range of DJI drones.

It's not just a theory.
Sport Mode definitely doesn't make more distance with the increased speed.
Increased speed comes at a cost of reduced vertical thrust, that has to be made up with even higher motor revs.
If you want to get max distance from a battery, fly at full speed in Normal Mode.
It's been tested and proved many times and with a range of DJI drones.
So paste the links. That is exactly what this thread is about.

What was your point in replying to this thread? I have searched and I was looking for something other than hearsay yet all you provided is hearsay. Guess I know who to just ignore now. Bye.

From my vantage point, it appears that the point was that quantitative information is available.

Given your stated interest in getting past speculation and rumor, I'd have thought you'd be more interested and receptive.

Reactions: Meta4
From my vantage point, it appears that the point was that quantitative information is available.

Given your stated interest in getting past speculation and rumor, I'd have thought you'd be more interested and receptive.

I think have I have been receptive to the people who have offered something more than just do it this way. Sorry but what Meta4 said came across as the old school parent who says do it this way because I told you.

I know that you and a couple of others have had more meaningful conversation on it. There was one post from MAvic__South_Oz that had actual links. One of which included an empirical test done by a student that seemed to show that sport mode actually has no negative effect Mavic Battery and Speed efficiency chart I find that much more useful than Meta4's comment that led me to believe they are just going by what someone told them and no actual research. I have searched and used several different terms with no good results.

Back to my original intent. I have seen people saying put it in sport mode and sprint back. That doesn't make any sense to me but that doesn't mean it is incorrect. I have seen some say try to mimic RTH. That makes more sense to me but won't make any sense to the sport mode believers.

Reactions: MS Coast
1658703540992.png
Typically, range vs speed looks like this, where the horizontal axis is speed, and vertical axis is range. The problem is nobody knows where the numbers are for a specific drone, maybe the peak is at 20mph, 40, or 60. Until that number is established, everything is just a guess. And then you have to adjust for atmospheric conditions on top of that.

Reactions: edcMavicPilots
I feel there are too many outside factors that affect flight (more than speed) that can more greatly affect RTH outcomes.

The biggest one is simply proactive pre flight checks and avoiding low battery problems in the first place.
When you know good drone flight procedures, you simply are almost totally unlikely to ever find yourself in this sort of bother.

- Flying out with the wind and returning with it.
- Aiming for landing at ~ 20% battery is good for both safety and battery longevity.
- Knowing what the wind is doing and RTH either set to as low an altitude as practical, or bringing it down to such a level asap as the drone returns.
- Knowing when RTH or normal flight speed simply isn't getting you where you need to be for drone movement.

If you push the envelope on battery often, risky flights way out over ocean / high wind etc, or simply want to know this for such scenarios, then proceed with your individual testing, so you can be somewhat prepared for best battery power use.

I would certainly also practice the manual 'headway making' tasks above too, and get used to looking for a clearings / flat landing areas etc in otherwise hostile terrain for emergency landings etc.

Being prepared can certainly help reduce the panic type behaviours often seen when something unusual happens in flight.

Same thing applies on the road - Increasing your highway cruising speed from 55mph (90km/h) to 75mph (120km/h) can raise fuel consumption as much as 20%. You can improve your gas mileage 10 – 15% by driving at 55mph rather than 65mph (104km/h). Natural Resources Canada puts the “sweet spot” for most cars, trucks, and SUVs even lower, between 30 mph (50 km/h) and 50 mph (80 km/h).

Reactions: christangey
Here is a video of flight time, sport vs cine vs normal on a Mini 2 -
Using screen capture all three on screen. Just about as empirical as you can get.

For those who don't want to watch 12 minutes of video to get to the point, here's the summary screen.

Sports mode is about 4% better than Cine mode. Normal mode is about 18% better than Sports mode.

Screenshot 2022-07-26 142209.jpg

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mountainmanflyin