DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Sooooo....this happened.....CRASH!

Flying Skwerl

Reactions
About the second week out flying . I took it to a park , a pretty large open area to fly in. Just doing so basic training/learning maneuvers. Slow and easy for a bit , add a little throttle, some height. got somewhat comfortable. I had no idea that it wouldn't stop as quickly as I wanted it to, misjudged distance from a group of trees and this happened.

Luckily the guard took all the damage , broke it in two. I was able to repair it and still use it now.

Last edited:
Luckily you were smart enough to have the prop guards on. We’re you flying in sport mode?

Reactions: Flying Skwerl
About the second week out flying . I took it to a park , a pretty large open area to fly in. Just doing so basic training/learning maneuvers. Slow and easy for a bit , add a little throttle, some height. got somewhat comfortable. I had no idea that it wouldn't stop as quickly as I wanted it to, misjudged distance from a group of trees and this happened.

Luckily the guard took all the damage , broke it in two. I was able to repair it and still use it now.
I don't want to pile on a noobie but your footage is poorly exposed- dark, and blue. You need to either expose properly or fix it in post processing.Keep at it. Practice practice practice.

Dale

I learned the hard way that obstacle avoidance is a bit unreliable as dusk approaches. Did learn how to replace propellers though.

An accident in waiting? If you're new at it, get above the trees until you figure out the left & right turns. Even for simple stuff, I use Maven, which means I need less to focus on & therefore less stressful 😫.

I've said it before, trees are the drone pilots worst enemy. Always make sure you check in visually with the drone when flying near trees as the video can be deceiving. Better yet fly above and away from them if you can. Obstacle avoidance does not work well on most trees like it does on buildings and other more "solid" objects. Alot of us have been there before even if we don't like to admit it. Take this as a learning experience and do better next time.

I don't want to pile on a noobie but your footage is poorly exposed- dark, and blue. You need to either expose properly or fix it in post processing.Keep at it. Practice practice practice.

Dale
Yep, quality is bad indeed. It was so bright outside I couldn’t even see my phone to see how bad it is. But I have graduated a bit since that day. I still have much to learn. I do appreciate the input. No harm, no foul, no worries.

An accident in waiting? If you're new at it, get above the trees until you figure out the left & right turns. Even for simple stuff, I use Maven, which means I need less to focus on & therefore less stressful 😫.
Is Maven a paid for app? If so, how is it less stressful? Distance judgement and braking was way off.

Welcome to the forum from the beautiful woods of Maine!
I had a similar experience on my third flight when I was lining up a shot at our rifle range. My increase in altitude caught an overhanging branch and the drone (Air2) did a few flips and landed undamaged on the grass. I think it was dirkclod who always says trees and power lines are not your friend! Fly safe and stay safe!

Welcome to the forum from the beautiful woods of Maine!
I had a similar experience on my third flight when I was lining up a shot at our rifle range. My increase in altitude caught an overhanging branch and the drone (Air2) did a few flips and landed undamaged on the grass. I think it was dirkclod who always says trees and power lines are not your friend! Fly safe and stay safe!
You can see at the end where I had tried to steer away, but it was a bit too late. I repaired the guards and gave them a new paint job. I did get lucky and don’t fly without them, at least for awhile.

Attachments

• 59511A7F-23BB-4A24-BF89-73355915AB15.jpeg
    59511A7F-23BB-4A24-BF89-73355915AB15.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 3
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman