DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

South NJ drone dropping sea dye into pools

This kind of news turns my stomach as many will begin to place blame on drones. Whereas, it wasn't the drone but the one using the drone that did this hideous act.

And because people like this guy, drone regulations are becoming stronger and more difficult for people actually following the rules. :mad:

This kind of news turns my stomach as many will begin to place blame on drones. Whereas, it wasn't the drone but the one using the drone that did this hideous act.
Not to sidetrack, but as a firearms owner all I can say is (loudly) YES.

Maybe he did business with the hotel and had some kind of beef. Pretty stupid thing to do.

Reactions: rjwmorrell
Unfortunately drones can be used for bad things. This could be a problem for us.
Yeah, The sky is falling and it's gonna fall right on top of us. For every one negative drone report that I see on TV or hear of, there are 5 positive ones of drones doing good innovative things.

Most people at the time hated the horseless carriage... Now look where we are.

Maybe he did business with the hotel and had some kind of beef. Pretty stupid thing to do.
If that was true, why did he target homeowner pools?

That series of stunts is going to cause a lot of pain for him and his family. He's going to have some serious legal fees. If his victims decide to sue for the cleanup costs, that's going to be a sizeable. Each time he dyed the hotel pool, they drained and cleaned. So you have the time and materials cost there, and he did it over again. He owned his small business, the word of mouth alone will decimate that business.

Reactions: Torque
I live very close to Absecon, and my parents do live in Absecon. Anyone reading about this could now assume any drone they spot is up to no good. I feel this will definitely not help any future drone flights conducted at my parents.

Almost all of Absecon is in Class C airspace so he might have some more FAA regulations broken on top of whatever else they come up with. I don't see a person like this filing for LAANC. He has his criminal charges to deal with and I am sure he will be sued.

What a clown.

Story is gaining traction, I guess because it's a "drone crime."

Steve is one of my favorite YT lawyers, see what he has to say:

Wonder if this might cause legislation to be passed to make drones or drone accessories that allow dropping of objects illegal.

Wonder if this might cause legislation to be passed to make drones or drone accessories that allow dropping of objects illegal.
I don't think so. If someone walked by the hotel pool and tossed a bag of dye over the fence, would legislation be passed to make tossing of objects from your hand illegal? It's already illegal to drop objects from a drone, a balloon, a plane, or a helicopter to vandalize or destroy someone's property, we really don't need a special drone law for this? What would end up is a bunch of honest drone flyers breaking a new law and getting punished while criminals continue to dye, the law wouldn't stop them. Sorry if I missed the sarcasm.

Reactions: rjwmorrell
I don't think so. If someone walked by the hotel pool and tossed a bag of dye over the fence, would legislation be passed to make tossing of objects from your hand illegal? It's already illegal to drop objects from a drone, a balloon, a plane, or a helicopter to vandalize or destroy someone's property, we really don't need a special drone law for this? What would end up is a bunch of honest drone flyers breaking a new law and getting punished while criminals continue to dye, the law wouldn't stop them. Sorry if I missed the sarcasm.
That doesn't stop lawmakers from making new laws, though. Lots of things are illegal, yet somehow new laws find their way on the books to make things illegal-er.

That doesn't stop lawmakers from making new laws, though. Lots of things are illegal, yet somehow new laws find their way on the books to make things illegal-er.
So true and I try to push back but so often it comes across as seen trying to protect the criminal as if I think less of what this guy has done. I hate what he has done but I cannot accept higher fines and more laws, respectfully.

Reactions: shb and rjwmorrell
One of the things I learned studying classical history is that the more frequently laws/edicts were promulgated against a behaviour, the more common the behaviour was. (Because there's no need to prohibit something people aren't doing.) It's one of the ways historians estimate 'crime' levels in the past.

Frequent prohibitions of a behaviour usually indicate either a serious split in society about the morality of that behaviour, or a lack of ability to enforce existing laws.

This is complicated by unwritten understandings about who is affected by the law/edict, and who isn't. Historians have ways of teasing that out, but there is lots of room for academic arguments.

Last edited:

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FNG_