DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Spark - it's GREAT (for what it isn't)

AlanTheBeast

Reactions
It's a family fun selfie+ camera/drone as opposed to the almost pro MP.

At 300 g ... tiny!

2K camera. 2 km range (see below)

No controller (~$200 more or in the Fly More kit)

Controller NOT included. Need to add that or get the Fly More kit.
(If they had made it MP controller compatible... but no....)

Range limits depending on where you are
2.412 - 2.462 GHz (unobstructed, free of interference)
FCC: 1.2 mi (2 km); CE: 0.3 mi (500 m); SRRC: 0.3 mi (500 m)
5.745 - 5.825 GHz (unobstructed, free of interference)
FCC: 1.2 mi (2 km); CE: 0.18 mi (300 m); SRRC: 0.7 mi (1.2 km)​

Seems to have been simplified greatly - which is likely a good thing.

Designed with hand launch and catch in mind.

Based on Wh/g, the max endurance will be about 16 minutes 12-14 more typical.
Assumes the props aren't undersized. Has anyone seen other figures?[1]

upload_2017-5-24_13-41-43-png.13521

[1] I just saw 16 minutes on the DJI site so my interpolation above seems to have worked well.

Last edited:
Was hoping it would weight less than 250 g so the sillier parts of the new Canadian drone laws wouldn't be applicable!

Me too! But then the other aspects of it would be even less useful. As a camera it is fine enough for its intended market.

Appears that DJI carefully avoided cannibalizing the MP market.

Reactions: AlwaysAWOL
What's up with the bottom mount battery (vs on top or into a shaft)??? The MP battery mounts on top, alleviating the chances of slipping/falling out and hence a dead bird dropping - Yikes!!! Those 'nubbies' on the battery get worn down after slapping in and out a couple dozen times.

What's up with the bottom mount battery (vs on top or into a shaft)??? The MP battery mounts on top, alleviating the chances of slipping/falling out and hence a dead bird dropping - Yikes!!! Those 'nubbies' on the battery get worn down after slapping in and out a couple dozen times.

Not confidence inspiring. They talk of side tabs so possibly a positive locking device.

Once it slides in there's 4 "rail" edges, plus the connector holding the battery. As long as the tabs are well designed it shouldn't be an issue.

Good drone! You'll need the FlyMore Kit otherwise without that remote. Not going to be much fun.

Personally I like that style of Gimbal more. The Mavics looks and seems more robust but it's not that durable.

Could they port the additional hand commands and flight modes to the Mavic? Would be cool to have those as well. Feels like the Mavic has all the necessary sensors to enable them.

Could they port the additional hand commands and flight modes to the Mavic? Would be cool to have those as well. Feels like the Mavic has all the necessary sensors to enable them.
That's exactly what I was thinking along with the palm landing.

So many new features on this new Spark over the Mavic.

So many new features on this new Spark over the Mavic.

Like what? Hand gestures!
The Mavic has a lot more features than the Spark. Even the Sparks hand gestures could be implemented in the Mavic but if they did that who would buy the Spark?

Rob

Gesture control, hand launch, hand landing, 3D front sensors, pano mode, blurred background mode, USB charging, and no need for remote control for most selfie photos or videos. Also shows more range in WiFi mode than Mavic in tests. And this is just what we know now, just wait until release and the first update to it's firmware. How they will sell any Mavic Pros for full price after this Spark hits the market is beyond me.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Britt