DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Spark vs Mavic Pro vs Phantom 3P

Which drone should I buy (Complete Drone Novice)

• Spark (Fly More Combo)

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • Mavic Pro

Votes: 8 66.7%
  • Phantom 3 Pro

Votes: 1 8.3%

• Total voters

Cebd_31

Reactions
Hello all,

I am trying to decide on my first drone, I will mainly like it to take good stills and decent video.

I've decided I'll go used, so my budget is anywhere between $500-$700.

Which drone, of the three listed above you believe will be better for a complete novice that has never flown a drone before and why?

I am pretty good at photos/video and currently own a decent DSLR, so I would like a drone that I can use manual settings for stills/video and maybe even RAW photos?

Spark - lack of range makes it obsolete

Mavic Pro - workhorse and built like a tank

Phantom 3 Pro - dinosaur. Should be in a museum. Just kidding. There are still tens of thousands of them out there and I fix them every week. The tech i sold, camera is ok. parts are plentiful, but the Mavic blows it away in almost every area.

Reactions: AnzacJack
First done? Spark! Great for learning, does decent video in good lighting (low lighting footage will not be great) and a very reasonable cost now-days (many have bundled controller deals for free). Also, if you crash, better to crash/learn on that than Mavic/P3p. Buy a deal with controller, which gives you good distance and range vs just using WiFi on the phone as a controller. Keep an eye on deals, NewEgg had Spark Fly More Combo as refurb for $334 few days ago (out of stock now but keep eye on other vendors).

If you come to a point that you master Spark and need to upgrade you can always sell and put that money into a better drone.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cebd_31
For $525 I can sell you like new Phantom 3 standard with 3 batteries and all accessories like ND filters, prop guards, extra props.
Also because I got it new in July 2018 it still has 11 months of DJI care.
Let me know.

I have all three and love them all! The spark for fun, the P3P for crazy flying and learning, the there's the bad boy Mav!!! Get the Pro Platinum. They are all over Ebay now for cheap. Just find one low hours. Extra bats, and when you can......GOGGLES!!!! Also, grab a tab-let. Refurbs are cheap, sooo much better than the phone!

Mavic, every time. You’ll outgrow the Spark in weeks (as I did) and get fed up of its limited range and the Phantom is just too aggressive looking for the public. It looks like a surveillance drone to most people and you’ll find yourself being lectured by them when you go flying. This has happened to many of my local friends and many are getting reluctant to take their P3 or P4 out in the UK.
Now, the Mavic is hardly noticed by anyone when taking off and when it’s 100ft up, no one knows it’s there. Lots of decent cheap ones out there as everyone now wants the M2, but the M1 is still an incredible craft and now crazy cheap. I actually saw one for £499 in the UK, the same price as a Spark!

Don't waste your money...if you have a limited budget then go right for the Mavic Pro/Platinum. You can find incredible deals if you search around. Look at Craig's List...Let Go....Offer Up...Ebay...our own classifieds. I got my used Mavic from the classified section on these forums and it was a better deal then I found on all those other sites.

Thanks for all the advice, I now have saved for either a Mavic Pro ($619 in adorama used) or an original Phantom 4 ($659) is the Phantom worth the extra $40?

Portability is not an issue as I wont be constantly traveling with the drone

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143