DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Stability problems on iOS (yes, really ;P)

allufewi

Reactions
Hey guys,

I recently got a Mavic. Wonderful device, mine isnt plagued at all by any hardware-related problems. Great, but sadly I cannot really say that for the software.

First I tried the drone with an older HTC One M7, later with an S7 Edge. Plethora of Problems, I spare you the details so I bought myself an iPad mini 4 just for use as display. It works much much better, except for that one thing:

Often when I try to use the shoulder-buttons (left back-one for focus and right-top one for taking a picture), the app freezes. On some more rare occasions it also happens when playing with active track. I still got my live video-feed, strangely but everything else is frozen. The display doesnt update on height, speed, connection etc. The app doesnt respond to the said buttons anymore (a picture gets taken nonetheless) and touching the screen does not do anything anymore. The problem can be solved by restarting the app midflight. But still.... this cant be it. I dont want to restart the app every second flight.

Pad runs no other apps, latest versions of DJI Go 4 and iOS, airplane mode on. Reinstall of app does not help.

Any tipps?

I use an iPad Mini 4 128Gb with a short cable to the center USB. It is actually my wife's iPad and it has a plethora of apps on board. I had to get permission to park the Go4 app on the front page. :)
I use it pretty much daily (when she is at work) without a single problem yet. I've never used airplane mode.
Same hardware - different experience. Go figure.

Reactions: Soundtekk
I wonder what causes the problem then.

Actually I can even rule out the cable. Before I got a short one that fits better, I used the original cable that came with the iPad. Same issues.

I hope I dont have faulty Hardware after all.. :(

Hey guys,

I recently got a Mavic. Wonderful device, mine isnt plagued at all by any hardware-related problems. Great, but sadly I cannot really say that for the software.

First I tried the drone with an older HTC One M7, later with an S7 Edge. Plethora of Problems, I spare you the details so I bought myself an iPad mini 4 just for use as display. It works much much better, except for that one thing:

Often when I try to use the shoulder-buttons (left back-one for focus and right-top one for taking a picture), the app freezes. On some more rare occasions it also happens when playing with active track. I still got my live video-feed, strangely but everything else is frozen. The display doesnt update on height, speed, connection etc. The app doesnt respond to the said buttons anymore (a picture gets taken nonetheless) and touching the screen does not do anything anymore. The problem can be solved by restarting the app midflight. But still.... this cant be it. I dont want to restart the app every second flight.

Pad runs no other apps, latest versions of DJI Go 4 and iOS, airplane mode on. Reinstall of app does not help.

Any tipps?

I also have an Ipad Mini 4 and have never had an issue. Nor have I ever used it in airplane mode.

Might it be the connection? So not the cable, but maybe the lightning port or the usb on the controller?
If that isn't the case then maybe the usb controller ic in the controller?
Just wildly guessing, but it is contrary to all the stories i've heard about the iOS app...

Delete your app, restart iPad then reload the app.
I've found this with other programmes that tend to hang.

Will try that today, thanks. My older re-installs havent been in conjunction with an restart of the pad.

Might it be the connection? So not the cable, but maybe the lightning port or the usb on the controller?
If that isn't the case then maybe the usb controller ic in the controller?
Just wildly guessing, but it is contrary to all the stories i've heard about the iOS app...

Possibly. What remains a mystery however is that the problem can be reproduced when using the controller shoulder-buttons for photos. I fail to see any connection to the USB port there. :confused:

Maybe I can find a Iphone to use on the left-port to rule the central-USB out.

I was in this situation with android, and luckily a new iPad 4 solved the problem 100%. It is impossible enjoy flying at all if the app is freezing and crashing! I recommend chasing down the problem down this way:
  1. Use DJI assistant to verify that the Mavic and controller are running the same firmware version.
  2. See if you can replicate the button crash behavior also with one of your android devices, or with no device at all. If you can, the problem is more likely with the firmware, not the DJI app.
  3. Post a set of log files (including DAT) to the group via DropBox - perhaps you'll get lucky and one of our log experts will take a look.
  4. Use DJI assistant to re-flash the firmware for both the Mavic and the RC controller. Flash to the 0600 release if you are still on 0400.
  5. Do a factory reset, calibrate the compass and IMU, and see if that stabilizes things.
  6. If none of the above worked, I'd open up a ticket with DJI. Send them the log file link early in the process. Emails tend to start from square one each time, so phone them if possible.

Last edited:
Reactions: allufewi
No problems here with iphone 7 plus using IOS APP

To post the solution in case anyone with the same problem googles this up maybe:

I did a Ipad-reboot rafter deletion of the app and one after the re-install. I also flashed the latest firmware to both controller and mavic again via DJI Assitant on PC. (Seemed fine as it was, but just to be sure).

->Problem solved.

Last edited:
Reactions: Michael Ainsworth
To post the solution in case anyone with the same problem googles this up maybe:

I did a Ipad-reboot rafter deletion of the app and one after the re-install. I also flashed the latest firmware to both controller and mavic again via DJI Assitant on PC. (Seemed fine as it was, but just to be sure).

->Problem solved.
Glad to hear. I also use the iPad mini 4 and it is amazing. To complete my setup I use the Pgytech sunscreen for iPad mini and no sun glare.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
juanfraf