DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

State Farm Insurance

How long have you been with State Farm? I pay $30 for drone coverage which I’ve only had for a month but have my camera gear, about $50000 worth with them. I’ve filed claim over the years with no problem.

Like in my case, I mentioned I purchased my 3rd drone, a previously owned MPP Fly More pkg for $800. And from what most are saying is if my bird became a fish or lost while searching in the woods they'd issue a check for the full amount because they wouldn't bother knowing what the drone alone is valued at.
The agent that wrote the policy a few months ago didn't seem to know either. Now I also want to add some of the other equipment I use in rescue, namely my trap & trail cameras. Trap costs $400 & 4 cameras @ $200 each. A few bucks more is worth it as this gets expensive but nessacery.
The policy covers replacement cost. That is, new for used. So those items will be replaced. What should be done is they should only need to replace the items lost if they is possible. But most likely 1) the adjuster does not know that this can be done and/or 2) the adjuster does not really care and it is simply easier for them to pay the entire amount and call it a day. So they are really handling those claims incorrectly.

The policy covers what is listed on the policy at the time. If they have paid for that item, the policy should be cancelled as they have honored their part of the agreement and that agreement ends. It is not like that are saying they don't want to insure you any more because of the loss... the agreement simply ran its course. Granted, if you try to obtain another policy they may not want your business. That depends as many factors.

Sayville? You're close to me in West Bab. [emoji870]
A State Farm agent in Sayville, NY told me the same...in order to get a personal property floater I need to have a homeowners policy. He also said he was not certain a personal property floater could include a drone. When I pointed out that State Farm provided coverage in other areas, he indicated coverage can vary from location to location.

Reactions: JAW
I made a claim in August for my Mavic 2 Pro. I lightly hit a cliff in Bermuda. The drone overall was fine, couple scratches that was about it. However the gimbal was off, after trying a bunch of resets and calibration it was still off about 5 degrees. I contacted my local State Farm office, told them I crashed everything worked fine except the gimbal. I would have thought they would have had me had it repaired and send them the bill. They did not, I had to fill out a form stating it was damaged, what the damage was etc.... Three days later I get a call saying I'm getting a check for the total amount covered $2200, since I had the entire packaged covered including the smart controller. It kind of blew my mind they didn't want pictures or anything else to prove what happened. When I was on the phone I said to the person I can send photos, all I really want is the gimbal repaired. Nope, they considered it a total loss. I said OK, I get my check deposit it and 30 days later get a notice my covered is canceled LOL.

I gave my drone to a friend of mine who is an electrician and a geek to boot. He took the gimbal apart, reassembled it and gave me the drone back about a week later. It works good as new.
Impressive that they took care of you that way but prime State Farm in that you made a claim and got dropped. While not a drone we had the same experience with an uninsured 18 Y.O. Trashed the car completely. They replaced the actual cost because it was less then a year old and when it came time for renewal dropped us like a bad habit. Seems that they haven’t changed a bit. That’s a bummer. Who else out there even covers our drones?

Unfortunately, State Farm does NOT cover drones in California. Don't know why but the don't. Bummer for me. I do have DJI Care thou

Some have gotten the insurance from State Farm which encouraged me to get it as well, $60 sounds like a great deal. But has anyone filed a claim yet? What is the amount they cover?
I believe they pay for just the drone, not accessories. For example my drone was previously owned, I gave them the receipt showing the price paid, let's say $800. Now if the drone were stolen, crashed into the sea, run over or whatever, what do they actually pay? I know $60 isn't a big number compared to the price of the the drone itself, but is it worth the money? The time & hassle?
No, my agent covered the whole cost of the gly more package. Haven't filed a claim

Reactions: freightshaker
Unfortunately, State Farm does NOT cover drones in California. Don't know why but the don't. Bummer for me. I do have DJI Care thou

Keep in mind the coverage is not really for a drone. I need to look at the wording of mine but it was covered under electronic photography equipment or something like that.Screen Shot 2019-10-23 at 8.25.17 AM.png

Last edited:
I called my State Farm agent today. He said he could write one up, but cautioned that a claim would count against my entire package. Not just the rider.

Reactions: JAW and Thomas B
I called my State Farm agent today. He said he could write one up, but cautioned that a claim would count against my entire package. Not just the rider.
Meaning your home and/or auto I'm presuming. Insurance companies are funny (not haha funny) that way.

Screw SF then. I've had Erie for 20 years now, home, car etc.... SF has given us quotes every other year. They just can't compete with Erie. Give them a call. You do need really good credit or they won't touch you

When I was younger, I kept checking with a local SF agent about car insurance. They were always much higher than others. When I asked why they were higher, they said the rate was high because of my age and driving experience. Uh, same criteria with everyone else, yet lower rates with others.

Reactions: FASTFJR
Screw SF then. I've had Erie for 20 years now, home, car etc.... SF has given us quotes every other year. They just can't compete with Erie. Give them a call. You do need really good credit or they won't touch you
State Farm has been good to me,, and I doubt another company will beat the rates I’m paying, but I can’t risk my record due to a drone claim. I think I’ll take your advice and check out Erie and others. “All my eggs” and “one bad apple” etc.

Reactions: FASTFJR
I paid $56, I think I had the insurance for maybe three months. Maybe thats why they cancelled. I don't get it, I would have been happy with the repair. I still don't understand their thinking. Anyway I have a drone that works well and money in the bank

Typical insurance company mind set and we wonder why insurance is so expensive.

Reactions: Drgnfli
i have state farm
all my equiptment is on it, ipad mini 4,sony dsl camera with all lenses, mavic pro,all mavic pro batterys,chargers,filters,laptop,im on my 4th year with them,yearly went from 60 to 73 a year, i had a mavic crash 2 yrs ago, very fast on settlement.

Are you flying commercially or recreationally?

Are you flying commercially or recreationally?
recreational with SF,the policy is a personal articles policy,i have added other items(electronics,surround sound sys) on it besides my hobby stuff,anything that pertains to a personal article can be added,my android cell they would not add tho but is ok,im sure with anything within the house, my homeowners policywould be the first to cover any loss and SF would be secondary to primary ins, not sure if you can use it for commercial

Same experience as everyone else.

Filed a PAP via SF, had an accident and filed a claim, got a check for what my receipt said, month later letter in the mail canceling my UAS coverage.

Same experience as everyone else.

Filed a PAP via SF, had an accident and filed a claim, got a check for what my receipt said, month later letter in the mail canceling my UAS coverage.
i wonder if there is any other compainies out there for drone hull coverage

I specifically asked my agent if this would be the case and he told me no. It wouldn't affect my homeowners or car insurance rate. I wonder if he was lying.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929