DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Still Pics from Video

JGhost

Reactions
I'm seeing a trend that is a bit surprising to me. But then again, it may be that new people just don't know. So, here goes.

Some pilots are stopping video in the middle of a composition to shoot a still frame. I would say NOT to do this.

4K video resolution is so high that you can very easily do a screen capture or a "Freeze Frame" from the video. The only time I can see the need to stop video and capture a still is based on a long exposure shot of a sunset/sunrise or other low light condition. Keep in mind that sometimes you must stop your video to get the shot you want. But 99% of the time, its a waste of time and energy (batteries).

I've stopped ducks using a Freeze Frame in the middle of a flight at 100 feet and the detail is amazing.

I'm seeing a trend that is a bit surprising to me. But then again, it may be that new people just don't know. So, here goes.

Some pilots are stopping video in the middle of a composition to shoot a still frame. I would say NOT to do this.

4K video resolution is so high that you can very easily do a screen capture or a "Freeze Frame" from the video. The only time I can see the need to stop video and capture a still is based on a long exposure shot of a sunset/sunrise or other low light condition. Keep in mind that sometimes you must stop your video to get the shot you want. But 99% of the time, its a waste of time and energy (batteries).

I've stopped ducks using a Freeze Frame in the middle of a flight at 100 feet and the detail is amazing.

I totally disagree. If you're shooting video at a proper shutter speed, following the 180 rule you will not get a sharp enough Stull frames out of the video.

If you can, your video probably have unrealistic, (even disturbing to the eye) motion and "feel"

Just my opinion.

Also I want to be able to properly adjust the settings of my photographs and get the exposure right for the given moment / scene of the photo.

Depends what you are up to. Usually there are natural breaks in play between your video shots to take a still of your main subject matter.

Importantly, I take stills (try to get three per flight) as it produces thumbnails for the flight logs and makes them much easier to sift through and review.

I also disagree, the image quality with a still shot compared to a video screen dump is higher. Best advice is do what works for you.

I don't disagree with either of those thoughts above.
I'll use an example. A friend was shooting a motocross event from the sky and wanted a particular still shot. By the time he stopped his video, got his shot and started his video and began flying, he missed the drop of the gates at which time there was a snafu and would have been cool to capture on video. It also created a weird cut.

Heavens - "Depends what you are up to." Yes - very true.
Svavar - If you're going for a still shot...totally agree with you. See my example above.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan