DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Still seeing issues even at higher resolutions. Oil painting effect.

Same issue here. My first flight on a cloudy day I downloaded photos and my first reactions was... is there some kind of oil painting filter applied that I didn't know about? I kept thinking it was a focus issue, but "oil painting" describes it far better than blurry focus. I'm on the latest firmware and all default settings. Very annoyed with this little piece of crap so far.

I tried to downgrade two firmware back but on DJI Assistant I can't see v1.02.0900 firmware, I only see v1.03.0000 and v1.03.0200. How can I downgrade to v1.02.0900?

After all these oil painting posts, I am wondering:

* you're using the footage recorded on the drone itself, right? not the cached shot sent to the phone?
* have you tried different (faster write capable) microSD cards on the drone? maybe it's adapting to a slow write speed by compressing more aggressively

Regarding this oil painting effect and the advice posted here...

Before:
You can see I made a pigs ear if colour grading it in desperation due to the poor quality footage

After:
And I'm happy with that. I didn't tweak or colour grade the footage at all and I'm content with what I see!

Reactions: Sam76
After all these oil painting posts, I am wondering:

* you're using the footage recorded on the drone itself, right? not the cached shot sent to the phone?
* have you tried different (faster write capable) microSD cards on the drone? maybe it's adapting to a slow write speed by compressing more aggressively

Yes, the pictures right off the drone. Using the stock SD card.

Yes, the pictures right off the drone. Using the stock SD card.

Ditto. I even took mine at high noon with plenty of light. I know these cameras can't hold up well in shade or low light.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello everybody! Can't downgrade too from DJI Assistant for Mac, I only have the option to downgrade to v1.03.0200.
How do you select older firmwares?
Thanks for you help!

I have got the same problem. Trees look like painting. And pictures don't have the definition I should expect from a 4k camera. I tried all modes and they are all the same.
Drone itself work very well. Just that bad video quality
I sent an email to dji with a Dropbox link to one of my videos. I'm waiting for an answer.

Sent from my A0001 using MavicPilots mobile app
Guys. You are not alone. Here is a link to a thread that I started on that very topic. Bottom line is that you have a defective unit. I sent mine back to DJI and there replaced it without question. Here is a link to that thread and some relevant samples. Let me know how you make put.

rb

Does Mavic Shoot Video or Watercolor Paintings? Don’t settle. Get Involved!

Guys. You are not alone. Here is a link to a thread that I started on that very topic. Bottom line is that you have a defective unit. I sent mine back to DJI and there replaced it without question. Here is a link to that thread and some relevant samples. Let me know how you make put.

rb

Does Mavic Shoot Video or Watercolor Paintings? Don’t settle. Get Involved!

Thanks rb for that info.
How did you contact DJI and what did you have to provide them?

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

I'm not sure I have an issue with video. Just jpgs on detailed images. I'll try to see if I can replicate the problem on video

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

where is the latest info on this? just received mine, updated, shot video today for 4 hours. All cruddy and looks like Photoshop oil painting effect was applied. So let down right now.

After contacted DJI for the watercolor issue (and shared video with them on Dropbox) on my SECOND Mavic (First one had already the issue). Here is their answer:

Thank you for contacting DJI Support. We're sorry to hear about your aircraft.
Regarding the issue of your concern, would you be so kind to send us some photo samples of the picture taken by your aircraft in different settings as well as in raw?
Thank you for reaching out to us.
Best Regards, blablablablablabla
I asked them to give me the exact settings i must apply before taking pictures. I'm waiting an answer....

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rarmstrong2580