Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Strange battery burn while charging?

dirkclod

Reactions
I’ve been charging batteries almost 6 years and never had an issue with
any of my drones.
This battery was charged in the hub with 2 others. Now I didn’t notice this
till I just went out and used up 1 went to install this one and noticed this.
Now it will slide in but the battery door won’t close but did power it up
with the door open just to get a screenshot of the times charged.
i have 4 so this one I hadn’t used much. And won’t use again.
I am going to contact DJI on this but wondered if anyone has seen this before. Or have any idea what might have caused it. It had to have happened while charging as I would have noticed it when I had took it out from flying with it.Why I didn’t notice it when I took it out of charger I don’t know.
5688A5BE-007A-434C-BCFC-568D6393BD69.jpegEA829797-3A7C-4276-94B8-1FE7F8E7CAD5.jpeg95B31683-FFAB-483C-9FB5-E926197FBFF3.jpeg5285971A-822F-43BE-B6E6-857DF697101C.png
49F538FE-F4A4-40B7-A99B-B12C416268CC.jpeg3EA0C331-58FD-4654-AFC7-90ABEEE644D9.png

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Capt KO
any of my drones.
I am going to contact DJI on this but wondered if anyone has seen this before. Or have any idea what might have caused it. It had to have happened while charging as I would have noticed it when I had took it out from flying with it.Why I didn’t notice it when I took it out of charger I don’t know.
View attachment 98564View attachment 98563View attachment 98562View attachment 98561
View attachment 98566View attachment 98567
Looks to be some kind of short within the terminals. How is the charging hub? Any sign of melting there?

any of my drones.
View attachment 98564View attachment 98563View attachment 98562View attachment 98561
View attachment 98566View attachment 98567
hi Dc that is strange ,have you checked the pins on the hub to see if any of them are bent ,or any burn damage looks like some sort of short

Is it possible that when you stuck this in the charger there was a tiny piece of something that got snagged in the contacts/terminals, leading to some sort of shorting?

Definitely was caused by overheat.

Not good. I will start to be a bit more careful when sticking packs in the charger!

Take care & stay safe.

Reactions: m80116
Thanks for responding guys, not looked at hub yet but am now.

The pins on the battery look ok even.
The white won’t rub off with my finger and almost feels like
that plastic was hit with something if that makes any sense.
image.jpg

hi Dc is the damaged one ,one that came in the combo ,or the extra one you purchased, check the label and see who the manufacturer was maybe a faulty batch

Reactions: JimCanada
hi Dc is the damaged one ,one that came in the combo ,or the extra one you purchased, check the label and see who the manufacturer was maybe a faulty batch
I got the 3 in the flymore pagage then trashed that bird and they sent me another. So is how I have 4 batterys but will check them all now.

Reactions: old man mavic
I got the 3 in the flymore pagage then trashed that bird and they sent me another. So is how I have 4 batterys but will check them all now.
All 4 the same
image.jpg

This is just strange. No idea and havn’t dropped it.
Just going to let it discharge and sent it back to the vender.
Really don’t need 4 anyway as my other is my go to bird but
i can’t figure this out.
9512B5D9-7CD7-4E43-81D4-B2C252DBCE4F.jpeg

Reactions: old man mavic
Yes, I find this truly bizarre. Glad it didn’t catch fire! That would have been a nightmare.
Very concerning as this could be a liability issue with DJI. Definitely would send it to them directly with your observations and documentation.

Yes, I find this truly bizarre. Glad it didn’t catch fire! That would have been a nightmare.
Very concerning as this could be a liability issue with DJI. Definitely would send it to them directly with your observations and documentation.
Hear ya but not messing with them I will just send it back to vender. I tryed to post all this on thier forum but not used to it and couldn’t even upload a picture.

Yeah, that ain't right. I've always been a stickler about rechargeable batteries, a few of my friends had incidents with them and it's taught me to keep my guard up. I had a car battery explode in my face at work when I was nineteen and was blind as a bat for a week not knowing if I'd ever seen again. So batteries make me a little nervous. Docs did a great job and at 60 I still don't wear glasses. I was very lucky.

You are lucky. I just relooked good at that battery and can’t see no cracks or any signs of leakage other than in those pictures I posted. Used a light and magnifying glass.
I just havn’t a clue. It will be living outside though till I can burn it down as it has a full charge.

Reactions: Rchawks
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JReynolds078