DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Strobe for mini2?

MikeyST1957

Reactions
I pre-apologize if this information has already been asked
( I’m currently going through all the bac-posts)
I’m trying to fly my mini2 every day now
More experience/ confidence
Trying also to get enough experience to see if I want to move up to mini3 pro

It’s going well
A lot of times though,I’ll take a quick look down at my controller… and I look up and can’t spot my mini. Just too small and I sometimes panic

Anyone recommend a strobe?
Seems like it would be nice for re-spotting
Although it might annoy people more
No one ever seems to notice or be bothered by the mini2 being so small and quiet

No one ever seems to notice or be bothered by the mini2 being so small and quiet
I guess it all depends on just how noticeable you want your Mini 2 to be. There various options, are you also interested in night flying, then you need a REAL Stobe… or do you just want your drone to be more visible during daylight flying? Then Navigation Lights are probably the way to go…

I am using stock DJI propellers on my Mini 2 and I can still hear it at 150+ feet over my head. If you put lights on it, then your drone will become that much more noticeable and draw more attention to your flying… Just saying…

Here is a Link to peruse and view the various options. Shop around (check out our Sponsors and the Classified listing on our Web Page…) and some folk even picked up adequate lighting from Home Depot and Lowes… You buy your own Velcro…

Strobe.gif

Reactions: SeaPig
Not a fan of the Velcro attachment so I would recommend this light used with a Compression Band across the middle of it.

Yes you loose the light in the middle but you gain easy access to using the Light and its more secure than Velcro , You end up with 4 Leds which is plenty of light .

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mini 2 in the Rain. Land on the Water.

2023-01-01_12h30_22.png

I have a flytron strobon cree.
To be honest it's a good little strobe but if you have really, properly lost sight of your drone at distance and didn't 'mark the spot' before you glanced at the screen then it can't really help find the drone it you need to search the sky. That would be with the strobe more or less pointing at me, I stuck it on the battery door on a shaped pad of epoxy putty.
If you did 'mark the spot', I use 'slow' moving cloud features or landmark, then yes the flash can attract your eye.
If you mount it facing downwards on the bottom of the drone then I suspect you will reduce its visibility and might interfere with the VPS system.

Bear in mind, keep any strobe pointing AWAY from you when the drone is close to you.

Daytime for a little better VLOS . . . be able to spot the drone more easily when lost against background ?

Flytron would probably suffice.
I have some Firehouse Tech Duals, like one on msinger list above . . .

Mavic Pro Strobe Light Mounts for Firehouse Dual Series Strobe (Strobes sold seperate)

They are pretty good for seeing your drone, and very light !
Be aware some 4g might push you near sub 250g limit.

I have them for the Spark (can also use on the M1P, but I generally use the 4 led ARCII there) with 3M dual lock velcro, been several years and the holding of the velcro is still excellent.

I put mine on the sides for daytime VLOS, here in this video below I used red and green in std nav setup, but for VLOS assistance definitely get the straight white, as they are the definitive most visible of any of the colours.

For what you describe, I'd put one white Dual on the bottom of the drone somewhere (as you will in general be well below the drone in flight) so not to interfere with sensors etc . . . or, if it's hard to find a spot, place under one arm, the velcro shouldn't interfere with folding.

I pre-apologize if this information has already been asked
( I’m currently going through all the bac-posts)
I’m trying to fly my mini2 every day now
More experience/ confidence
Trying also to get enough experience to see if I want to move up to mini3 pro

It’s going well
A lot of times though,I’ll take a quick look down at my controller… and I look up and can’t spot my mini. Just too small and I sometimes panic

Also search the forum for the word ¨strobe¨ and you will find threads discussing various models and experiences.

Reactions: LoudThunder
I also have DJI mini 2. I picked up a tip several months ago from someone who bought reflective tape ( they have a very thin one) from Oreily auto parts, cut the tape into small pieces and put on the arms of the mini 2. It makes it much easier to see in the daylight, of course no help at night.

I found holographic silver wraps / skins for many drone models on one of the big wrap websites some years ago, thought, that'd be great for VLOS daylight and to reduce risk of bird attack . . . it's the same effect / reflective material they use in vineyards, strips hanging around fruit trees / vines etc.

In recent times none seem to have this as an option, a shame really.

Reactions: CJG and LoudThunder
I have 2 Vifly strobes velcro fixed on the Mini 2. One is on the rear battery door and the other at the front. Both face slightly downwards which is ideal for seeing from the ground. They are really excellent, very bright strobes with white/red /green/flashing options and visible to 500m by day. Even with both fitted it's still under 250g. A snip at under £30 for a pair.

resize_img_3262-jpg.131403

Firehouse duel with miss Chrissy mount

Same. I have two Vifly's on my Mini 2. Top & battery door. I have the strobes on whenever I fly to discourage aggressive hawks & curious ravens, since I fly in a desert environment. 82 flights & no bird attacks yet!

Attachments

• Resized_DSCN0086.jpeg
    Resized_DSCN0086.jpeg
    753.3 KB · Views: 10
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member