DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Sudden shutoff mid-air

Same incident as the earlier one... all motor side data freezes at 511,773sec with the messages in the DAT event log about disconnected ESC's. At 569,287 the ESC links are reestablished for a unknown reason.

View attachment 132676

DAT events at the time when the ESC's disconnect:

View attachment 132677
And when they reconnect:

View attachment 132678

So no more to go on this time either ... perhaps time to get it in for a repair before something more catastrophic happens.

Can't afford a repair, would likely cost far too much.
Tried to reflash the firmware, we'll see if that helps. Else likely a new ESC board, seems like an easy soldering job.
Only 'core' is quite expensive, so hopefully thats not the faulty part :(

This is just too odd..
Flies good, perfectly, for 3-10 min. Then bam! Shuts off.
What could possibly be causing this?
I feel no high heat, etc. No voltage sagging showing.

Same incident as the earlier one... all motor side data freezes at 511,773sec with the messages in the DAT event log about disconnected ESC's. At 569,287 the ESC links are reestablished for a unknown reason.

View attachment 132676

DAT events at the time when the ESC's disconnect:

View attachment 132677
And when they reconnect:

View attachment 132678

So no more to go on this time either ... perhaps time to get it in for a repair before something more catastrophic happens.
I'll be replacing with a brand new drone frame; just keeping Gimbal, Camera and Battery.
@slup Any chance you can see if the battery was the culprit?
I assume it wasn't, since cell voltage doesn't seem to drop?

I'll be replacing with a brand new drone frame; just keeping Gimbal, Camera and Battery.
@slup Any chance you can see if the battery was the culprit?
I assume it wasn't, since cell voltage doesn't seem to drop?
Bump :)
@slup any chance you can see if the battery disconnected?
Got a new frame, motors, esc board, core board. Only things I'll be re-using are: Camera/Gimbal/Battery/Remote
Of those I believe only the battery could be causing this issue, so want to rule it out before sending the drone into the air again.

...any chance you can see if the battery disconnected?
Nothing in the DAT log you posted August 1 indicate that ... at 511,773sec the ESC links goes down & the motors stop. As the DAT logs continues to be written that alone tells us that the FC remains to be powered.

Looking at the current draw & battery voltage, they also reflect the fact that the motors have stopped, current drops & voltage recovers (both for the battery in total & for the lowest cell). The marker in the chart is where the ESC's goes offline.

(Click on the chart to make it larger)
1631176823081.png

Nothing in the DAT log you posted August 1 indicate that ... at 511,773sec the ESC links goes down & the motors stop. As the DAT logs continues to be written that alone tells us that the FC remains to be powered.

Looking at the current draw & battery voltage, they also reflect the fact that the motors have stopped, current drops & voltage recovers (both for the battery in total & for the lowest cell). The marker in the chart is where the ESC's goes offline.

(Click on the chart to make it larger)
View attachment 134637
Thought so, thanks man!
So that kinda shows the battery isn't at fault then?
The voltage sag, atleast to me, doesn't seem to drastic. Staying above 3.6 should mean the drone kept power, but something else was at fault?

Reactions: slup
Thought so, thanks man!
So that kinda shows the battery isn't at fault then?
The voltage sag, atleast to me, doesn't seem to drastic. Staying above 3.6 should mean the drone kept power, but something else was at fault?
Likely swollen battery which disconnected power. Almost happened to me several months ago on return from short flight over water to photograph lighthouse. After landing, picked up Mavic 2 Pro by battery and only battery came up in hand. This was a scary reality check. Continued flying the next several days while on vacation in Maine but secured batteries with strong rubberband. DJI replaced batteries at no cost.

Likely swollen battery which disconnected power. ...
And from where in the log can you find support for that ... did you even look into the attached TXT & DAT logs here?

A disconnected battery will not only cause all 4 ESC's to unlink from the FC & at the same time keep the rest of the craft powered & log recording running ...

And from where in the log can you find support for that ... did you even look into the attached TXT & DAT logs here?

A disconnected battery will not only cause all 4 ESC's to unlink from the FC & at the same time keep the rest of the craft powered & log recording running ...
Me thinks log recording is on controller not aircraft.

Both the mobile device TXT & DAT log is compiled in the app from the craft data but stored in the mobile device. The TXT log runs from motors on to off, the DAT log from power on to off. No log recording is happening in the controller.

If you want to read up more around all types of DJI logs go here --> Mavic Flight Log Retrieval and Analysis Guide

It's not, and even if it was how would you explain data is still being received from the aircraft after its battery was gone?

Also, wasn't this case solved 3 months ago?

It's not, and even if it was how would you explain data is still being received from the aircraft after its battery was gone?

Also, wasn't this case solved 3 months ago?
Nope not resolved, but ordered new frame. Now trying to figure out if battery is safe to use.
It is not the battery being disconnected @Marty Markoe . As others have said, it keeps being powered on post-crash.
Wondering if the battery is sagging causing LVC, or something like that. But doesn't appear that way from the logs?

@slup How long after ESC shutdown is it showing that power is removed? Should be a while, left it plugged in for a bit that last time (August log).

..., wasn't this case solved 3 months ago?
Yep, the secondary reason for motors stopping was established but not the root cause needed for a DIY repair.

... can you check the latest logs I sent about a month ago?
That was a low altitude crash where battery remained in for a long time after motors shut off. No camera/gimbal connected.
All I have shown you after August 1:st have been from those logs ... DJIFlightRecord_2021-08-01_[11-00-58].txt and 21-08-01-10-59-52_FLY091.DAT. The battery isn't the root cause, if it becomes disconnected or in another way doesn't provide enough voltage (which we don't see in the logs) we wouldn't see that, just affecting the ESC's ... the whole craft would shut down.

Yep, the secondary reason for motors stopping was established but not the root cause needed for a DIY repair.

All I have shown you after August 1:st have been from those logs ... DJIFlightRecord_2021-08-01_[11-00-58].txt and 21-08-01-10-59-52_FLY091.DAT. The battery isn't the root cause, if it becomes disconnected or in another way doesn't provide enough voltage (which we don't see in the logs) we wouldn't see that, just affecting the ESC's ... the whole craft would shut down.
Yep, figured!
I'll keep using the battery then :)

Is the battery showing connection even like 5 seconds after esc's shut down?
Having a hard time reading that graph. Unsure what timeunit the X-axis shows

...Is the battery showing connection even like 5 seconds after esc's shut down?
Having a hard time reading that graph. Unsure what timeunit the X-axis shows
The x-axis shows seconds & where zero seconds is ... is where the motors starts.

The ESC's goes offline at 511,773sec after motor start & they reconnect at 569,287sec ... and the log ends at 607,982sec

The x-axis shows seconds & where zero seconds is ... is where the motors starts.

The ESC's goes offline at 511,773sec after motor start & they reconnect at 569,287sec ... and the log ends at 607,982sec
Yep, sounds about right.
Thanks!

Guessing brand new frame/drone will fix it then. Highly doubt remote was issue, and now battery is ruled out :)

Is it possible that a connection between two component is loose and or cracked or otherwise damaged and that as things heat up this connection goes open circuit? I am thinking more of components in the drone rather than that connection in the battery. This assumes you did test the latter as Slup or someone suggested.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twistedpair