DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Sunset above the clouds

Great video and awesome shots!

Just a question to the broader group, would there be any concerns around moisture and the mavic when flying through clouds? I have a lot of low flying clouds around my area.

Reactions: OOO
Great video and awesome shots!

Just a question to the broader group, would there be any concerns around moisture and the mavic when flying through clouds? I have a lot of low flying clouds around my area.

I flew over the fog/clouds a few times. Moisture that collects on the lens may reduce video quality while flying through the fog/clouds. Other than that I didn’t notice any problem. I usually fly through the fog/clouds while ascending or descending. Because of reduced visibility and poor video quality you don’t want to fly through the fog/clouds for a long time anyway. You should definitely go above the fog/clouds if you want a good shot. Descending and ascending don’t take too much time, at least for me.

Last edited:
Hi there

I liked the video, it was a different perspective. If it wont land you in trouble can you advise what altitude you were flying. I'm guessing it was a fairly low cloud base.

Hi there

I liked the video, it was a different perspective. If it wont land you in trouble can you advise what altitude you were flying. I'm guessing it was a fairly low cloud base.

Thanks Grakat! The altitude at launching spot was approximately 1900-2000 meters above sea level. Flights altitude was approximately 100-200 meters above ground level.

Last edited:
Reactions: Grakat
I crashed my Mavic in its first fly. This footage is from my second flight with my repaired Mavic. Yes it is working. However, after repair she likes to fly at higher altitudes.

Nice shots. Were you flying from one of those hill tops poking through the clouds or below with your signal penetrating the clouds?

Reactions: cgstorm5 and OOO
Nice shots. Were you flying from one of those hill tops poking through the clouds or below with your signal penetrating the clouds?

I was launching the drone somewhere close to the hill top (on the road that appears around 14th seconds of the video). Thanks!

Last edited:
I crashed my Mavic in its first fly. This footage is from my second flight with my repaired Mavic. Yes it is working. However, after repair she likes to fly at higher altitudes.

WOW. You’ve got balls as big as Nebraska flying above and the clouds to get such amazing shots, and the music you have chosen to accompany the video somehow sets the whole thing off nicely. Thanks for sharing.

great footage! so fog is actually not a problem regarding the drone itself or the remote connection?

Awesome. Assuming you were using a filter - which one? Can you share some of the basic settings (ISO, frame rate)? I've been trying to emulate this for months and failing miserably. And due to the "nature" of it when at first you don't succeed, it can be weeks before the next opportunity.

Thanks.

1) 4K@25fps
2) ISO 100
3) Shutter speed 1/60
4) D-Cinelike
5) ND8 and ND16 in some shots

As you can see one of the shots in this video is out of focus. I forgot to tap the screen. I’ve never used auto focus option. Always use manual focus and don’t forget to tap the screen each time.

Last edited:
Reactions: Omega Flight
So do the FAA rules of staying 500 feet below clouds and 2000 feet away from them not apply? Just curious as I find the footage to be awesome. While at the same time, wouldn't want to find myself in a pickle if trying to do the same thing.

So do the FAA rules of staying 500 feet below clouds and 2000 feet away from them not apply? Just curious as I find the footage to be awesome. While at the same time, wouldn't want to find myself in a pickle if trying to do the same thing.

My launching spot was 1900-2000 meters above sea level. Maximum flight altitude was 100-200 meters above ground level. Most importantly this is intensive fog not cloud. I don’t live in US.

Reactions: jcp411
Green Flash?????
Never heard of that before. I used to be a flight instructor and sometimes at sunset for fun, I would ask if they would like to see the sun set three times tonight and rise in the west. So at a fixed altitude we would let the sun set, then immediately climb to get the sun to rise again, then hold altitude and let the sun set again, then repeat. However, I must say, I have never ever seen or noticed a green flash, I'll have to look this up.

Nice video of the clouds, by the way.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NotSure