DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Sunset above the clouds

For those who did not want to look it up VFR is Visual Flight Rules and IFR is Instrument Flight Rules. Two different ratings in your pilot's license. However, you are allowed to fly FVR above clouds as long as you have clear areas of the ground to fly back down through.

Reactions: jcp411 and OOO
For those who did not want to look it up VFR is Visual Flight Rules and IFR is Instrument Flight Rules. Two different ratings in your pilot's license. However, you are allowed to fly FVR above clouds as long as you have clear areas of the ground to fly back down through.

Thank you for not throwing a Google link at me and not scolding me. With this post, I hope that I did not violate a forum rule!

Last edited:
Reactions: jcp411
That was a really cool video. Loved the small hills breaking the fog.
Keep it up.

Reactions: OOO
That was a really cool video. Loved the small hills breaking the fog.
Keep it up.

Thanks! No piloting skills needed for this type of flying if the drone is in visual line of sight. Actually I don’t like to fly in high altitudes. IMO low altitude shots are better and I love to fly in tight spots and very close to ground level. Here is an example of flying in tight spots!

Great video and awesome shots!

Just a question to the broader group, would there be any concerns around moisture and the mavic when flying through clouds? I have a lot of low flying clouds around my area.

I don't know about moisture. My concern would be other aircraft! FAA requires you to keep your Mavic in"visual line of sight". You certainly can't do that when flying through clouds. And though it might be cool to the remote pilot in command, I can't say my enjoyment justifies putting others in danger.

Reactions: MavicFlyer and OOO
I don't know about moisture. My concern would be other aircraft! FAA requires you to keep your Mavic in"visual line of sight". You certainly can't do that when flying through clouds. And though it might be cool to the remote pilot in command, I can't say my enjoyment justifies putting others in danger.

As I mentioned in my previous posts the launching spot for this fly was about 1900-200 meters above sea level (on one of those hill tops). I don’t remember exact numbers but the maximum flight altitude was around 150 meters above ground level and the drone was always in VLOS. There is a village close to those hill top (at 1900 meters altitude). We stayed in this spot for 3 days to film that village but the fog was so thick that it was impossible to see what was around. If you could see 10 feet in front of you you were lucky! We were thinking of leaving this spot because it was impossible to fly a drone or film in these conditions. On our 3rd day, around 5pm, while we were making preparations to return, the fog was scattered a bit and we had the opportunity to film. Here is a link about this place: https://g.co/kgs/nT3T83

Last edited:
Reactions: FuzLogix
I crashed my Mavic in its first fly. This footage is from my second flight with my repaired Mavic. Yes it is working. However, after repair she likes to fly at higher altitudes.

Some truely epic shot's right there!

A little suggesion for future "above cloud" flights, try holding the mavic in one spot for several minutes to get some wicked time lapse shots of the rolling clouds!

Thumbswayup

Excellent idea and flight. What altitude do you think you were flying? I have wondered about trying this as the winter sunsets have been great

No need to write trivial responses, like thanks. It annoys the servers for having to send out many email notifications to people who s7bscribe to this particular topic. Unfortunately this is the default setting to which I have not changed. Until just after I finish clicking send.

Now that is a trivial response Gopher!

As I mentioned in my previous posts the launching spot for this fly was about 1900-200 meters above sea level (on one of those hill tops). I don’t remember exact numbers but the maximum flight altitude was around 150 meters above ground level and the drone was always in VLOS. There is a village close to those hill top (at 1900 meters altitude). We stayed in this spot for 3 days to film that village but the fog was so thick that it was impossible to see what was around. If you could see 10 feet in front of you you were lucky! We were thinking of leaving this spot because it was impossible to fly a drone or film in these conditions. On our 3rd day, around 5pm, while we were making preparations to return, the fog was scattered a bit and we had the opportunity to film. Here is a link about this place: Pokut Plateau - Google Search

The footage is beautiful, but for those in the US, it would be very unwise to fly through clouds to get this on top view. Also, when you said "I usually fly through the fog/clouds while ascending or descending.", it bothered me that newbies here might think that was acceptable.
That being said, you may have found one of the very most picturesque areas I have seen to fly your drone. It immediately had me trying to think of places like that where I could fly. Real "islands in the sky" views. Beautiful. By the way, could you share with us the location? It really does look idyllic.

Last edited:
Reactions: MavicFlyer and OOO
I crashed my Mavic in its first fly. This footage is from my second flight with my repaired Mavic. Yes it is working. However, after repair she likes to fly at higher altitudes.

Fantastic footage. My type of flying

Green Flash?????
Never heard of that before. I used to be a flight instructor and sometimes at sunset for fun, I would ask if they would like to see the sun set three times tonight and rise in the west. So at a fixed altitude we would let the sun set, then immediately climb to get the sun to rise again, then hold altitude and let the sun set again, then repeat. However, I must say, I have never ever seen or noticed a green flash, I'll have to look this up.

Nice video of the clouds, by the way.
I have seen the green flash one time. From a boat, conditions have to be perfect. And the one time I saw it it was not as brilliant as I had expected. Very subtle.

So do the FAA rules of staying 500 feet below clouds and 2000 feet away from them not apply? Just curious as I find the footage to be awesome. While at the same time, wouldn't want to find myself in a pickle if trying to do the same thing.
Like your video, nice shots.
The 500 foot rule is for the US only, you would have to check with your countries rules if any. The 500 feet below applies when you launch below the clouds and is an issue with VLOS. If you are above the clouds and launch from the same you are OK. Not criticizing, only answering the question asked. As you launched from within or below and went through the opening as you stated, then technically you were not in compliance and you would not have maintained VLOS. If you were higher up the mountain and launched above the clouds, maintaining VLOS, then you are fine.

Thanks! No piloting skills needed for this type of flying if the drone is in visual line of sight. Actually I don’t like to fly in high altitudes. IMO low altitude shots are better and I love to fly in tight spots and very close to ground level. Here is an example of flying in tight spots!

Nice! What filters if any, setting were you using over the water?

I loved the video! The location was very well chosen. The chosen soundtrack gave a certain drama to the filming creating a special result. Congratulations on the beautiful work.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JTBennett00