DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Sunset above the clouds

Some truely epic shot's right there!

A little suggesion for future "above cloud" flights, try holding the mavic in one spot for several minutes to get some wicked time lapse shots of the rolling clouds!

Thumbswayup

Thanks. I’ll definitely try that! But I think it’ll be difficult to keep the drone in same spot for minutes.

The footage is beautiful, but for those in the US, it would be very unwise to fly through clouds to get this on top view. Also, when you said "I usually fly through the fog/clouds while ascending or descending.", it bothered me that newbies here might think that was acceptable.
That being said, you may have found one of the very most picturesque areas I have seen to fly your drone. It immediately had me trying to think of places like that where I could fly. Real "islands in the sky" views. Beautiful. By the way, could you share with us the location? It really does look idyllic.

Thanks for the comment! I agree! But in this flight my launching spot was above the fog and the drone was always in VLOS. Tomorrow I’ll post a picture showing my position relative to the fog.

Last edited:
Excellent idea and flight. What altitude do you think you were flying? I have wondered about trying this as the winter sunsets have been great

Thank you very much! 2000 meters above sea level but approximately 150 meters above ground level.

That was a really cool video. Loved the small hills breaking the fog.
Keep it up.

Thanks! I’ll film this place again but this time with my P4P. Since I got so many question about safety of this flight I think I should show my launching spot in the next video.

Nice! What filters if any, setting were you using over the water?

I did not use any filter for this flight. I have an ND filter set and I use them when needed (to keep ISO at 100 and shutter speed at 2x FPS). Although some suggest use of polarizing filters I don’t like them.

I loved the video! The location was very well chosen. The chosen soundtrack gave a certain drama to the filming creating a special result. Congratulations on the beautiful work.

Thanks! I love to fly in tight spots. ATTI mode is the only option to fly in this place. Thus this video was shot in ATTI mode (no GPS signal, zero satellite). It is extremely difficult to control the drone in ATTI mode. In addition, with active OA and VPS it is almost impossible to fly in tight spots. Thus I turned them off before the flight. For most of the time I don’t need to use them. IMO they cause more problem than they solve, at least for me.

Thank you all for commenting and suggestions. Please have a look at these pictures which may help to solve some of your concerns about safety and legality of this flight.

Happy New Year and all the best for 2018!

1st picture: My launching spot.
2nd picture: Beautiful village

Attachments

• A1.jpg
    A1.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 52
  • A2.jpg
    A2.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 54
Last edited:
Reactions: FuzLogix
Awesome video! Wondering the moisture if you flying through thick clouds generally?! ... also as far as I know could be electrical charge in clouds... any effect on drones?!

Reactions: OOO
Yes, moisture is a problem and it may reduce video quality. I did not notice any other problem.

Thank You! I got that from your previous reply ;)... I am afraid more if mousture or electrical charge cause malfunction or damage to electronics.... Yes, yes I know, don't fly to clouds or fog... but still :D

Thanks! No piloting skills needed for this type of flying if the drone is in visual line of sight. Actually I don’t like to fly in high altitudes. IMO low altitude shots are better and I love to fly in tight spots and very close to ground level. Here is an example of flying in tight spots!

Very nice video!

Thanks! I love to fly in tight spots. ATTI mode is the only option to fly in this place. Thus this video was shot in ATTI mode (no GPS signal, zero satellite). It is extremely difficult to control the drone in ATTI mode. In addition, with active OA and VPS it is almost impossible to fly in tight spots. Thus I turned them off before the flight. For most of the time I don’t need to use them. IMO they cause more problem than they solve, at least for me.
Impressive video! How did you experience drifting in ATTI mode here, - that close to rocky surroundings and very close to the water? Would drifting be caused by instability of MP, - or by wind/draft? I plan similar flying (months ahead) and being new to drone flying I first need to exercise similar flying in safe surroundings.

Impressive video! How did you experience drifting in ATTI mode here, - that close to rocky surroundings and very close to the water? Would drifting be caused by instability of MP, - or by wind/draft? I plan similar flying (months ahead) and being new to drone flying I first need to exercise similar flying in safe surroundings.

In ATTI mode, wind is the main cause of instability and drifting. The day I filmed this place, there was hardly any wind. But still it was very difficult to control the drone because of drifting. Almost for every single shoot in this video, I flew several times in the same spot to get an usable footage. I had 30 minutes of footage from this place but only 2-3 minutes of the footage was usable.

When I fly close to the ground level, water, snow or in tight spot I always turn OA and VPS off (actually they are always off). You may also need some luck to survive in this type of flyings. Personally, I accepted associated risks, and I love to do that again :)

Last edited:
In ATTI mode, wind is the main cause of instability and drifting. The day I filmed this place there was hardly any wind. But still it was very difficult to control the drone because of drifting. Almost for every single shoot in this video I flew several times in the same spot to get an usable footage. I had 30 minutes of footage from this place but only 2-3 minutes of the footage was usable.

When I fly close to the ground level, water, snow or in tight spot I always turn OA and VPS off (actually they are always off). In addition to practice, you may also need some luck to survive in this type of flyings. Personally I accepted associated risks, and I love to do that again :)
Thanks a lot:)

I crashed my Mavic in its first fly. This footage is from my second flight with my repaired Mavic. Yes it is working. However, after repair she likes to fly at higher altitudes.

Marvellous piece of work.

I crashed my Mavic in its first fly. This footage is from my second flight with my repaired Mavic. Yes it is working. However, after repair she likes to fly at higher altitudes.

Beautiful shots

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne