DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Sunset above the clouds

Nice video. I think when "above the clouds" are mentioned, most people would think it must be really high up, above regulation, etc. Me too initially. But when it was mentioned by the OP he was up the mountains, and his Mavic wasn't that far off the ground, that concern was unwarranted.
Perhaps if the video started from below the clouds, going above, viewers would have a better perspective of the height the drone is flying. But elsewhere in the video shows the surrounding mountain side anyway.
The usual height limit/rules are so as to avoid any potential collision with light aircrafts, etc. I don't think there would be any light aircraft that would be allowed to fly that low and close to mountains.

Reactions: OOO
FYI I just got the admins to close a thread in the "Lost and Found" (and reported) A.Gopher due to the way he likes to troll 'n scold :)

Thank you for information. This is a friendly forum and we should not be afraid to ask questions here.

Reactions: rsauder
Nice video. I think when "above the clouds" are mentioned, most people would think it must be really high up, above regulation, etc. Me too initially. But when it was mentioned by the OP he was up the mountains, and his Mavic wasn't that far off the ground, that concern was unwarranted.
Perhaps if the video started from below the clouds, going above, viewers would have a better perspective of the height the drone is flying. But elsewhere in the video shows the surrounding mountain side anyway.
The usual height limit/rules are so as to avoid any potential collision with light aircrafts, etc. I don't think there would be any light aircraft that would be allowed to fly that low and close to mountains.

Thank you. I agree with you, regarding with flying below the cloud and going above...To solve these concerns, I posted two images showing my location relative to the clouds. Did you see that?

Last edited:
you people are so stupid, why do you have to comment negatively about everything. It's obvious that he was flying safely.

Thank you. I agree with you, regarding with flying below the cloud and going above... To solve these concerns, I posted two image showing my location relative to the clouds. Did you see that?
Once I watched the video, I could see you weren't all that high above GL. And I doubt any aircraft pilot would be flying that close to mountains, so you aren't creating a hazard. Always cool to be able to go to remote places to take cool videos and pics.

I like the whole video - but I have one question on sunsets/sunrises.

Has anyone managed to catch a "Green flash" during a drone flight? It's something that happens during the last few seconds of sunset on a distant horizon, when the sun rapidly goes from yellow/red to a bright green flash. It can also be occasionally seen at sunrise but as the sun is coming up, it's more difficult to be looking in the exact position.

I've only seen it twice - once from a place in Orkney, the next right down on the S coast at Beachy Head. They were both about 16 or so years ago in an era before drones were available at a reasonable cost.

That was the premise for Pirates of the Caribbean - At World's End.
If you've been fortunate enough to see this phenomenon that is amazing.

I crashed my Mavic in its first fly. This footage is from my second flight with my repaired Mavic. Yes it is working. However, after repair she likes to fly at higher altitudes.

Absolutely amazing.
Which height did you fly? Did you have any problem flying through the clouds?

Once I watched the video, I could see you weren't all that high above GL. And I doubt any aircraft pilot would be flying that close to mountains, so you aren't creating a hazard. Always cool to be able to go to remote places to take cool videos and pics.
Be cautious about where you think aircraft might be. I have seen numerous posts here saying pilots don't fly near mountains. While that is generally true, there are a few very critical exceptions. For instance, If you have a sectional chart look to see that there are no VR routes where you intend to fly. Those are military routes where fighter pilots practice high speed low altitude navigation. When we fly those, we try to be as close to the mountains as possible. Even to the point of flying up a ridge line then going inverted to pull down the back side to minimize altitude gain and exposure.
If you are flying "in your back yard", you would certainly be aware of their proximity due to the frequent loud passes. But if you go out into the middle of nowhere, a brief check would be very advisable, as "in the middle of nowhere" is exactly where they tend to put these routes, in an attempt to upset as few people as possible with the noise. It turns out drones are not the only thing people don't like flying over their homes.

Absolutely amazing.
Which height did you fly? Did you have any problem flying through the clouds?

Thank you.I don't remember the numbers but it was around 100-150 meters above ground level and 1900-2000 meters above sea level. The drone was always in visual line of sight even when flying through the fog while ascending/descending. At the launching spot there was no fog at all. I had a very good GPS signal and didn't face any issue during entire flight.

Sorry for delay in getting back . . .

Look at the Wikipedia page:- Green flash - Wikipedia That shows some nice shots of Green Flash and how it develops.

The two examples I've seen were both immediately prior to sunset - say the last 5 or 10 seconds, rather than the example in Pirates of Caribbean, where the flash occurs immediately after sunset.

Sorry for delay in getting back . . .

Look at the Wikipedia page:- Green flash - Wikipedia That shows some nice shots of Green Flash and how it develops.

The two examples I've seen were both immediately prior to sunset - say the last 5 or 10 seconds, rather than the example in Pirates of Caribbean, where the flash occurs immediately after sunset.

Thanks for the link. Very interesting! I hope one day I can catch green flash.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada