DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Tablet for a monitor

I have used a Tab A with none of the issues as described above since my first flight with a cellphone. I decided on a Mavmount ( Front Page | Mavmount brand DJI Mavic 2, DJI Mavic Pro, Spark, AIR iPad Tablet Adapter ) which fits the controller perfectly and holds the tablet securely. I use a standard, short cable to connect to the micro USB and controller. Drone Valley has an outstanding cable available for using a tablet ( Drone Valley Products )
The Tab A has been flawless, I've flown out as far as 2 miles, moderate speed (full throttle- not Sport mode) contour flying and in a wide variety of conditions with no problems. I know Apple fans are very happy with iPads, personally I started with Android and it's far more intuitive for me than Apple because of that. If you have an Android background I would have no qualms with a Tab A. I love the larger screen and the clarity it offers. I never have problems with power and the controller, generally fly 6 fully charged batteries each time out. I am pretty habitual about always starting with fully charged batteries, including the tablet.

Last edited:
I have been using the9.7 iPads for almost 4 years now with no problems. I built a custom hood for it to make it more usable in bright sunlight.

Hello

I have Ipad 5 mini , verry nice.

So I've see the list of the "best" to use, but what makes it the best? If I'm just using it for flying and nothing else, but want a sharp, real-time video, what is it I need? I need to stop relying on my wife's phone.

I've been using the Tab A with my mavic air for a little while now and have had no problems so far, I find it much easier than using my phone, some of the buttons are to hard to hit perfectly on the phone. I picked up an adapter from Amazon for around £10 and wouldn't go back to the small screen again.

I go with the full size (9.7 in) iPad. The display is noticeably bigger, which makes it easier to see small objects like power lines and branches, before they dart out and grab the drone

Hi all I am new here and I think that this question has been asked before so here's the question I'm using a android phone as the monitor for my mavic air and I find it is a bit small and I have been offered three tablets one is a acer iconia B1-770 16gb and the other one is a Samsung galaxy tab 4 and a Samsung tab A. I'm just wondering which one is the best option for me to use on the mavic air. Thanks a million for your help on this
I have used my Samsung Tab 'A' ever since the first flight about 2 a half years. Love it wouldn't fly any other way!

Honestly those are all very low powered devices. I don't think any of those will offer a very good experience. DJI Go 4 is resource intensive application and continues to get more resource intensive as time goes on.

I bought a Galaxy Tab A a few months back and I about threw in into a lake it was so worthless. Maybe somebody out there has figured out some way to get it to work on to their level of satisfaction on theirs but coming from using an iPhone 8 I just couldn't handle it. Ruined the experience for me.
Low power...processing speed? What is the recommended “power” if the tablet is used for nothing but flying?

Reactions: zenfly2
I've got a mavic 2 zoom, I've tried my iPhone 10, my iPad air, the 10 was hard to see on the bright days as was the air, the air was too bulky also. I purchased a iPad mini 5 and am very happy with it, and it will fit in the remote without having to purchase another holder, very nice package.

Reactions: Skywalker
Hi all I am new here and I think that this question has been asked before so here's the question I'm using a android phone as the monitor for my mavic air and I find it is a bit small and I have been offered three tablets one is a acer iconia B1-770 16gb and the other one is a Samsung galaxy tab 4 and a Samsung tab A. I'm just wondering which one is the best option for me to use on the mavic air. Thanks a million for your help on this

I use an older Tab A from time to time along with a Galaxy S7 Edge. I swap between the two. I don't like to use my actual phone because I want the device to be dedicated to flying when I'm in the air. I tether my Tab A and my S7 to my phone for internet connection which seems to work fine. Unfortunately I haven't found any tablet that's good in sunlight so I invested in a hood.

Used to use a Samsung s6 edge plus which was the largest cel phone at the time, excellent ultra bright display, lots of processing power, no operational problems. Just upgraded to iPad mini 5. Larger display is nice but the display is darker then the Samsung so you need to find a shady spot on a sunny day but the larger display does make it easier to manage the drone and all its features. You do need to do a little carving of plastic on the controller arm mounts to make it fit but not a big deal.you also need a short right angles lightning connector.
It has been bullet proof from an operating standpoint. Using with Mac Pro.

You do need to do a little carving of plastic on the controller arm mounts to make it fit but not a big deal.
The Mavic Air controller must be different because there's no carving involved. I have the Mini 4 and, given that it has the exact same dimensions as the 5, it fits perfectly.

It could be a little different.
My mini4 fits perfectly in the MP controller arms, but is noticeably tighter in my Spark controller arms.
It goes in, just needs a bit of gentle persuasion :)

I like using a mount (Lifthor) as the Sports mode button operation is hindered by arms of both controllers.
Not that I use it much, but in some event I want to disable OA and get home fast, it's good to be able to switch Sports mode on fast.

Have been using Amazon Fire 8 - it works fine!
Can you share what you had to do to get the DJIGo 4 app to work on your Fire 8". What limitations have you found? When you fly, are you connected via wifi to another device to tether an internet connection or are you pre-loading/caching maps? How is the brightness?

The Samsung Tab A is the most suitable (powerfull) of the 3 mentioned.
As a sidenote: There are several models of the Tab A
- 7 inch (2016)
- 10.1 inch (2016) 2GB or 3GB RAM
- 10.1 inch (2019) 2GB or 3GB RAM
The 2 others (Iconia & Tab 4) in my opinion are NOT suitable at all.
Furthermore it's NOT the type of drone that determines if a smart device is suitable but the software that is being used to 'controll' the drone.
DJI GO 4 needs at least Android 5 to run, the Tab A was released with Android 4.4.2.
A complete and up-to-date list of recommended smart devices can be found here:

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78