DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Taking down a huge pine by crane

Lot 49

Reactions
Buddy of mine has a logging company and asked if I'd film the operation. The tree was 125 ft tall, 2 ft from a building on one side, 4 ft from the power lines on the other and a busy road just beyond. Glad I was just flying the drone and not running the crane......

First time editing footage and using music. Could use a little more practice at my yaw and gimbal control.......

Cheers,
Scott

What kind of pine is it, even the top piece was like a significant tree when on the ground!
Considering the crane was near fully extended, calculating the weight which had to be suddenly held was rather important.

It made me queasy just watching. The tree cutter is one hell of a guy! It that bad of weather and still doing it right! It was interesting that the streets were not blocked off. Nice job shooting the video!

There are so many dangerous aspects going on that makes it a fascinating video. Mavic in a blizzard 125 feet up & watching some crazy guy cut down a huge tree down. It must have cost $20K. Major props on the video.

Reactions: WAXMAN
Thanks! And yeah, I was surprised too that there was no traffic control as 10,000 lb plus pieces of the tree were suspended 100 ft up directly over the road..... More so that the electric company wasn't there a since hitting the lines (over the traffic on the road....) was the far greater risk. Actually, they did show up the day before to put some bright orange sleeves on the wires close to the tree....safety first!

The snow made it difficult mostly because I had to keep my Ipad and controller under cover in my truck which put my back to the action, so trying to keep my eye on the framing while keeping track of all the other moving parts behind me...... Real props, though, go to the crane operator and the real feat (not in my vid) was lifting the last, largest, section 40 ft to clear the building and power lines with literally zero swing room.

Reactions: Former Member
I’m amazed that the snow load didn’t seem to effect the flight . Hopefully getting my MP this weekend :)

Nicely done! By all involved. It was good to see it close up.
(Looking forward to parts 2, 3, 4 ,5 and 6.... ;) )

Reactions: WAXMAN
Boy that is an OSHA fine waiting to happen there.

Buddy of mine has a logging company and asked if I'd film the operation. The tree was 125 ft tall, 2 ft from a building on one side, 4 ft from the power lines on the other and a busy road just beyond. Glad I was just flying the drone and not running the crane......

First time editing footage and using music. Could use a little more practice at my yaw and gimbal control.......

Cheers,
Scott
Very cool shot! Awesome footage with the snow and the skill of a professional lumberjack!

Really enjoyed watching your amazing video. Snow fall made it even more exciting. Great work by you and the tree crew.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman