DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Taking of from a moving vehicle problem

Yes, it can fly with just the controller, but there is no way to focus the camera if you don't have a smartphone connected to the controller. I believe everything else should work though.
Thx gregw

Yes, it can fly with just the controller, but there is no way to focus the camera if you don't have a smartphone connected to the controller. I believe everything else should work though.
I am unaware of this, but since neither of my own Mavics have even been shipped, I can neither confirm nor deny. My info is based upon specs and reading everything written about it by those who already have one.

Holy **** that was sketchy. Personally, I would have cut of vision sensors there and caught it by hand.
Thanks Chase, i didn't realise they could be turned off mid flight thats good to know, but next time ill just reverse in :) - or try a hand catch

Reactions: Chase R
Turning off the downward sensors could make the Mavic wander a bit. Personally, I like to initiate auto-land when hand catching... Minimises any potential injuries since the props will spin down instead of trying to get away from you.

See the last catch in this video:

Turning off the downward sensors could make the Mavic wander a bit. Personally, I like to initiate auto-land when hand catching... Minimises any potential injuries since the props will spin down instead of trying to get away from you.

Cheers Greg! Thats sounds like a safer option i'd like to keep all my fingers.

Cheers Greg! Thats sounds like a safer option i'd like to keep all my fingers.

Yes, keeping all my fingers intact has been my priority after watching all the videos of people hand catching the Mavic and it tries to pull away from you due to the downward sensors... :D Thought this method seemed the most sensible..

The Mavic will still use GPS to hold position. I don't think it switches to vision sensors unless GPS is unavailable. I've never had it move when turning off downward sensors.

In this case, if you initiate an auto-land and the boat moves then that thing is still coming down until it hits something. Turning off the sensors allows you to control the speed at which it descends and still gives you the ability to bail.

Yes, keeping all my fingers intact has been my priority after watching all the videos of people hand catching the Mavic and it tries to pull away from you due to the downward sensors... :D Thought this method seemed the most sensible..
Just grip it firmly, and hang on, until it surrenders! It's not going to fly away with you hanging below it! :p

Reactions: MacPap
Just grip it firmly, and hang on, until it surrenders! It's not going to fly away with you hanging below it! :p
GadgetGuy hahahahaha
"The NOSE! Hit the nose!!!!" (Anakin Skywalker to Jar jar in Watto's shop. From the "star wars I" movie)

Last edited:
Reactions: GadgetGuy
  • noavatar_small.gif
    Hi, I am a yacht captain and I had a problem during the transatlantic crossing. I was flying chasing the yacht while under-sail and suddenly the drone stopped and remained hovering stationary I was obliged to return with the boat to it's position and landed. I don't know what to do next time perhaps there is something I might set up before flying from a moving vehicle (boat)??

• noavatar_small.gif
    Hi, I am a yacht captain and I had a problem during the transatlantic crossing. I was flying chasing the yacht while under-sail and suddenly the drone stopped and remained hovering stationary I was obliged to return with the boat to it's position and landed. I don't know what to do next time perhaps there is something I might set up before flying from a moving vehicle (boat)??

Chris, start a new thread and post the flight log.
Should be very obvious to the analysts here as to what occurred.

You can then know what it was and how you might be able to prepare / cope next time.

Edit, post it up in the crash / flyaway section.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zack400