DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Tello. Who's getting one? I did!

That's really helpful, I wish there will be more people who preorder this baby and give us review;)

Hey Ashley, I wrote a hands on review for the Tello. You can check it out on the website in my "signature" if interested!

Here's a few up close pics of the Tello and pics/vid taken by the Tello. The video was taken while hovering in approx. 5 mph winds.

Attachments

• IMG_3938.JPG
    IMG_3938.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 95
  • IMG_3939.JPG
    IMG_3939.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 102
  • IMG_3941.JPG
    IMG_3941.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 98
  • IMG_3943.JPG
    IMG_3943.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 97
  • IMG_3944.JPG
    IMG_3944.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 96
  • IMG_3945.JPG
    IMG_3945.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 98
  • IMG_3946.JPG
    IMG_3946.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 92
Reactions: Ashley
Has anybody found a dealer that has batteries and props? Everything I've found says back-ordered.
This option won't appeal to everyone, but if you don't mind buying direct from China then Aliexpress and Alibaba are options. Alibaba is how I got my Tello three weeks ago. I'd advise anyone that is considering one of these options to do your due diligence when researching these websites before pulling the trigger on a buy.

Aliexpress: Says it takes 25-30 days to arrive, but here's the link.

DJI Tello Flight Battery Accessories 1100 mAh 3.8 V For DJI Tello Drone Flight Battery Accessories-in Camcorder Lenses from Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

Alibaba: When I purchase products on Alibaba I generally receive them within 7 days but this site isn't as user friendly as you're dealing direct with the sellers, and communication can be a very challenging due to the language barrier.

Newest Tello Flight Battery For Rc Mini Tello Drone Professional Accessories - Buy Battery For Drone,Battery For Tello Drone,Tello Flight Battery Product on Alibaba.com

Tello arrived today (ordered last Thursday on Amazon from DJI store, arrived via FedEx today). It's a cool little toy, fun to chase the pets around. Some observations:
  • It's smaller than I expected, which is fun. Doesn't like much wind, but very stable outside with a light breeze.
  • Using iPhone 7+, there is enough lag that FPV isn't very fun, but LOS is a riot, it flies very quick
  • 8-ways flips are awesome. But it won't do them if the battery is less than 50%
  • Speaking of battery, it comes with 1 and lasts more than 10 min, but takes a while to recharge (no charger is included, but it's simple micro-usb)
  • XBOX bluetooth controller does NOT work with it
  • I crashed indoors after flying too close to the ceiling (it suction cupped to the ceiling) and although it was a soft fall onto carpet, one of the motor wires came out of it's channel and I had to push it back in
  • Outside, the range on my iPhone is pretty limited... need to try at the park away from so many wifi signals.
Who is this thing for? Not sure yet - kind of expensive for a simple toy when you can get a hubsan with gps for less. But with VPS it is very stable inside, so it has that going for it. I'm interested in scripting against the API for fun, but still haven't come up with an idea that justifies the effort.

Ordered days ago when DJI made them available. Should be fun for quick flights and screwing around.

I saw a clip on Youtube from this week that is in English (most of the others on there are not). Not bad for $169 (AUD). something to play around with shortly when the weather changes here. Apparently it is going to be a cold and windy winter in Melbourne.
Rise Above are taking pre order now, also have spare batteries and changeable covers. Thinking of ordering one for the family to muck around with

I pre ordered one as well. Would also be interested to know how a bluetooth controller would work with it.
I have a couple of Bluetooth controllers. Steel Series, Moga, PS4 and Xbox. One of these is bound to work. I' hoping the Moga game controller will as it has a built in phone holder

i did and looks like it will hit the marks for us. I probably want to buy 10. I have always bought our gear (many $1000s of dollars) with Rise Above, but we are currently looking at a sponsorship with someone else. I did approach Rise Above about a deal, but they were not interested.
Its a shame. Is such a growing field in Australia, and everywhere, but no one actually wants to support education in any of this despite all the banter and talk at conferences etc. iTs actually one of the things ill be talking about when i speak in Sydney and Melb at upcoming conferences. Im always listening to State and Fed Gov types as well as big and small industry all sprouting about the growing field and the need for training and development. It took me 3 years to have the course supported in our school but no actual help to set the program up. I am now delivering the Cert 3 Aviation - RPAS and CASA Controller Cert and Radio License. We are currently using some P3s and then all of my own personal equipment, which i supply as i do believe in the need (we are not a private school) then a handful of the parrot mini drones for some coding with our junior students

It actually wouldnt be uneconomically viable for companies to help out. Last year I trained 18 students, who all went out an bought a drone (mostly P4s and mavics) and this year i currently have 20 students who will probably do the same. I would make sense for me to send them all to one place. Best help i can get from companies is some stickers. Anyway, this isnt the forum for this discussion- but it does frustrate me

Last edited:
Reactions: Cimriver and Rnl
i did and looks like it will hit the marks for us. I probably want to buy 10. I have always bought our gear (many $1000s of dollars) with Rise Above, but we are currently looking at a sponsorship with someone else. I did approach Rise Above about a deal, but they were not interested.
Its a shame. Is such a growing field in Australia, and everywhere, but no one actually wants to support education in any of this despite all the banter and talk at conferences etc. iTs actually one of the things ill be talking about when i speak in Sydney and Melb at upcoming conferences. Im always listening to State and Fed Gov types as well as big and small industry all sprouting about the growing field and the need for training and development. It took me 3 years to have the course supported in our school but no actual help to set the program up. I am now delivering the Cert 3 Aviation - RPAS and CASA Controller Cert and Radio License. We are currently using some P3s and then all of my own personal equipment, which i supply as i do believe in the need (we are not a private school) then a handful of the parrot mini drones for some coding with our junior students

It actually wouldnt be uneconomically viable for companies to help out. Last year I trained 18 students, who all went out an bought a drone (mostly P4s and mavics) and this year i currently have 20 students who will probably do the same. I would make sense for me to send them all to one place. Best help i can get from companies is some stickers. Anyway, this isnt the forum for this discussion- but it does frustrate me
Wow that sucks. Surely they could see benefits in supporting the school, as you say, students go on to buy them. By sponsoring 10 $200 drones isnt a massive cost and they could even strike up a deal for students to purchase from them, perhaps at a slightly discounted rate or maybe throw in a few accessories. It would certainly build their reputation

I know. Our school is in the media a bit due to being the trial school for RPAS training and now the first school to deliver. Plus I speak at many technology conferences, including the world drone congress last year.
I’d be happy to get a deal on old stock for our school fleet. One company I spoke with said they could probably supply a heap of P3s that had been refurbed but had no camera and gimbal. Would have been fine for training and I’m sure would be a good cost. But when I told them how keen I would be for this, all contact has stopped and my last 2 emails unanswered

Plus, as we all know, once you get hooked into this hobby, the money just keeps flowing. The amount of stuff I already have, and yet I still jumped and bought the Mac air when it became available. And I’m sure the mav 2 will further deplete my funds. The more people we get into this, the more money the companies will make.

They all want to make the sales, but no one wants to invest in building. DJI and others will keep bringing out new products and that’s all they need to worry about. Marketing pretty much handles itself so the hard work is done.

Last edited:
Wow that sucks. Surely they could see benefits in supporting the school, as you say, students go on to buy them. By sponsoring 10 $200 drones isnt a massive cost and they could even strike up a deal for students to purchase from them, perhaps at a slightly discounted rate or maybe throw in a few accessories. It would certainly build their reputation

Did you know that DJI does have an education program?

I have a couple of Bluetooth controllers. Steel Series, Moga, PS4 and Xbox. One of these is bound to work. I' hoping the Moga game controller will as it has a built in phone holder

Could you please let us know which one worked and if you had to do anything special (other than manually connect to Bluetooth) to connect.
Thanks.

Reactions: radman
Got one... er, 3 actually. So for 100 bucks, you cant beat this little guy. Super stable, best flight behavior of anything in the price range without a doubt. Camera is good for what it is. I get frozen app sometimes but probably need to update or re-install. Overall. For an indoor toy on those bad weather days, I give this two thumbs up.

Reactions: Let Us Drone
Got one... er, 3 actually. So for 100 bucks, you cant beat this little guy. Super stable, best flight behavior of anything in the price range without a doubt. Camera is good for what it is. I get frozen app sometimes but probably need to update or re-install. Overall. For an indoor toy on those bad weather days, I give this two thumbs up.

I ordered 2, and they both arrived today, haven't opened them yet. I really only needed one, but I wanted a second battery right away, and ordering 2 seemed like the fastest way to get 2 batteries. Plus I teach a STEM after school club at my daughters school, and having one for myself, and one for the class to play with works out. Since it uses brushed motors, I expect the second one will also be a spare parts drone when those motors burn out in about 6 months :)

Do you think it works with the PS4 controller ??

And after a fresh boot, new app and update of firmware, this little thing is Awesome. Can not compare it to the Husban cause it's a different class on mini drone. Super solid hover and control, tons of automated modes... Not like its shooting for anything but fun but... its a blast, flies as long as Spark and gets you ready for that $1,000 drone at 10% of the price. Nice job DJI and Ryse new level setter

I also have a Moga! Hope it works! Ordered my tello today.

Hi there,

I am considering buying a DJI Tello and I have some questions to ask:

1) What is the max distance / height it can fly up to? Can it t climb up to 25 meters?
2) Has anyone used it with a Wi-Fi extender?
3) Does it hover precisely (no input from user)?
4) Is it as much fun as it seems to be?
5) Would you prefer the tello over a spark (no remote) for fun flights?
6) As a selfie camera is it any good?
7) Is the battery easy to fall appart?
8) At what distance do the video problems start?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Bye

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xyggi