DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Terrible day. Drifting and crash

welsewool

Reactions
Terrible day. Just launched with Mavic, started to go up and it's just gone crazy and started drifting backward. I tried to push a little forward and down step by step, but it started drifting faster and faster and hit the building....
3 of 4 propellers gone... Gimbal dropped off of it's housing... All the drone scratched...
What was it?

Logs using 3rd party Airdata service here Airdata UAV - Flight Data Analysis for Drones

1. How to send logs directly from DJI Go 4 app to DJI Support?
2. What wrong with my Mavic
3. Is it warranty case?

Sad...

Attachments

• sad.png
    sad.png
    4.4 MB · Views: 216
knowing nothing more than you've typed I'm going to assume you took off in ATTI mode, and didn't wait for the Mavic to get enough satellites to go into GPS mode.

Please upload your TXT flight log here and post a link back here. You'll find instructions for locating your TXT flight log at that link.

Reactions: Egika
What firmware?
Even in ATTI mode no reason to drift the way you described if there was no input from sticks, unless the urgent need of calibration.

Reactions: Kestrel
What firmware?
Even in ATTI mode no reason to drift the way you described if there was no input from sticks, unless the urgent need of calibration.
I thought the same! It should just hover and not to fight with me! I push FORWARD and Mavic tries to go BACK...
I use last firmware v01.03.0600

Did you calibrate the IMU and compass?

Rob

Terrible day. Just launched with Mavic, started to go up and it's just gone crazy and started drifting backward. I tried to push a little forward and down step by step, but it started drifting faster and faster and hit the building....
3 of 4 propellers gone... Gimbal dropped off of it's housing... All the drone scratched...
What was it?

Logs using 3rd party Airdata service here Airdata UAV - Flight Data Analysis for Drones

1. How to send logs directly from DJI Go 4 app to DJI Support?
2. What wrong with my Mavic
3. Is it warranty case?

Sad...
I'm sure others have chimed in, but it's definitely due to you only having 6-8 satellites and atti mode.

Yep, atti mode the entire time. YOU HAVE TO FLY it when it is in ATTI mode. You must get on those sticks and control it, especially if there is any wind. Fly the aircraft! If you could upload the .DAT file from the Mavic, we could tell you more about what happened.

Was GPS tracking before takeoff? The log shows position but unclear when it first tracked GPS.

Multipath (between buildings) can cause GPS position to shift a lot, esp. when the GPS hasn't received a lot of GPS sats yet. A sudden shift in GPS position would cause it to compensate.

Were vehicles passing underneath? That could affect the VPS.

upload_2017-4-14_14-57-59.png

I'm sure others have chimed in, but it's definitely due to you only having 6-8 satellites and atti mode.
I think so, but doesn't ATTI mean hovering? Why it struggled with me? It's the main question.
Just look on path

Obstacle avoidance - ignored obstacle. Atti ignored hovering.
It was like somebody push back and i push front...

Multipath (between buildings) can cause GPS position to shift a lot, esp. when the GPS hasn't received a lot of GPS sats yet. A sudden shift in GPS position would cause it to compensate.

Maybe it was the main reason... Flying between buildings ((((

Reactions: Jase1125
HANG ON A SECOND.

There's a huge difference in your first posted log and the second (Russia in the first and Brazil in the second). What's that all about?

So where were you?

Reactions: Cyberpower678
I'm guessing there was some kind of interference -- perhaps due to a bad compass calibration or flying near magnetic metal objects. If you upload your DAT file to dropbox.com and post a link back here, perhaps we can get @BudWalker to check it out.

Hi, msinger.... this is my log. I wonder if you can tell what may have gone wrong or what I did wrong myself.

Phantom Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com

by the way... using latest firmware v01.03.0600.

I flew the day before the crash and was not happy with the drifting ( as I've been suffering since I bought it).... so today , just before the accidentt, I did the IMU and Compass calibration

Thank you guys.

PS. Got 2 propellers damaged and replaced. What do you think would be the next steps before trying to fly again?
Please start a new thread and we'll be happy to comment on your log too.

....So yes, he had GPS, but it was barely.
Yes, and, it was in GPS_ATTI but gpsHealth was only 2. This can happen if gpsHealth had previously been at 4, then switch to GPS_ATTI, and then gpsHealth went back to 2. Possibly the Mavic was moved to a problem location after it had seen gpsHealth at 4. All this would have taken place before the .txt was recorded. The .DAT will have this info.

There is also the indication that the Mavic was flying backwards with forward elevator input; possibly indicating a confused flight controller. Like what would happen if the Mavic were powered up at a geomagnetically distorted site. The .DAT will also help with this.

@welsewool can you provide the .DAT so we can take a look? Look here to see how to retrieve the .DAT. It'll be large so you'll have to Dropbox it and provide the link

Last edited:

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lboogie007