DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Testing out the new Mavic 3 firmware

I appreciated your early trial of the latest firmware. Please be advised however, that all zoom is digital! There are no true zoom lens on the Mavic 3; it is all accomplished digitally.
That's not true - in "explore" mode if you zoom in to 7x you're using the secondary telephoto camera and lens. Between 1x and 7x it's digital, as it is between 7x and 28x, but at 1x and 7x it's optical.

Sorry, that was a kind of confusing explanation, here's the specs of the telephoto camera on the product page for the Mavic 3: Mavic 3 - Specs - DJI
  • Sensor: 1/2-inch CMOS
  • Lens: FOV: 15°
    Format Equivalent: 162mm
    Aperture: f/4.4
    Focus: 3 m to ∞

What makes it seem like it's just a digital zoom is the way it's implemented as part of the digital zoom range. The main camera has a 24mm equivalent focal length, and since the telephoto is the equivalent of 162mm that's roughly 7x longer than the main 24mm lens. That's why when you're in explore mode and zoom to 7x you're actually using the physical telephoto lens. Personally, I wish DJI had made it so you could just toggle between cameras rather than having to deal with digital zoom at all.

Not confusing at all. I was aware that there are two lenses with different focal lengths and that for each one, the zoom is digital. I failed to communicate that and I appreciate the correction.

Not confusing at all. I was aware that there are two lenses with different focal lengths and that for each one, the zoom is digital. I failed to communicate that and I appreciate the correction.
No worries, looks like I completely misunderstood what you were saying!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
volpe