DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

The current state of the drone job market

Laggard

Reactions
So I posted this same question on Facebook. Let me preface it by saying I am NOT looking for help or tricks and tips on how to get gigs flying drones.

Quite simply I’m looking for opinions on what the status is of employment in the drone industry. The consensus on FB seemed to be that the market is overhyped and over saturated with pilots.

This of course goes against everything any drone training school or 107 test help site would want you to believe.

Your professional, non snarky opinions please. 😃

Thanks and hope all are well.

I think this isn’t a good framing of the questions around employment.

The only “drone industries” I’m aware of are regulatory/government, education, and manufacturing.

Then there’s the real estate, inspections for power lines, wind turbines, train tracks, etc., insurance documentation, precision agriculture, construction, pro videography services, pro photo services, aerial cinematography, geospatial information, and etc.

What I’m trying to say is “I’m a drone pilot looking for gigs or a job” is not much of a statement about value to an employer. Let’s face it, it’s not all that hard to get 107 certified, insured, and equipped. “I’m a geospatial technician, an industrial inspector, a cinematographer… etc. who uses and can demonstrate drone work” is valued differently by employers.

So, yes, there was a time when the world was young for entrepreneurial drone pilots, but that’s (mostly) history.

Let me ask straight out: are there more drone operators looking for drone operation jobs than there are positions available?

I want to fly mapping missions and do structure inspections. Are those positions even available any more? Cause if those positions no longer exist I’ll save my time and quit looking.

Let me ask straight out: are there more drone operators looking for drone operation jobs than there are positions available?

I want to fly mapping missions and do structure inspections. Are those positions even available any more? Cause if those positions no longer exist I’ll save my time and quit looking.
I pointed out before on another thread that I think one should specialize in more technical drone use such as being a GIS technician who is also a UAS pilot. There are a lot of community colleges that teach classes such as that. People getting out of college with an AA, or a GIS and drone technology certificate can do rather well, but most industries expect a least a bachelors degree with it. Usually mapping goes along with knowledge of cartography and geography, or that plus experience with natural resources, archaeology, geology or engineering. I don’t think a company would hire unskilled people just to do “mapping” without at least some cartographic and GIS knowledge, and if the maps are going to be used for any kind of measurements or legal survey, one would be working with a surveyor who can certify it.

And by structure inspections, I think one would need to be an architect or engineer. Without this, how would they know what to be looking for or concentrating on with the drone? And could their work qualify for permitting or insurance purposes?

I thought about doing all this too, but decided instead of buying new drones, I entered a GIS and drone technology certificate program. You’ll find that in California, community college tuition is very inexpensive and such a deal for the quality of education you get. Check it out and look online at the colleges in your area.

Last edited:
Reactions: BigAl07 and SethB
Thanks. Unfortunately due to my age, time constraints and total like of money a GIS degree is not a possibility. I’ll keep on truckin

Thanks. Unfortunately due to my age, time constraints and total like of money a GIS degree is not a possibility. I’ll keep on truckin
I’m in my 60s and I’m really doing my program part time, it’s doable. Have you thought about teaching with drones? If you have a couple years of experience in a related industry and can pull in drones in with it, there’s adult and career technical education high school classes you can get a CTE vocational credential to teach based on your professional experience only. My brother does it in videography and he doesn’t have a college degree, but he’s full-time employed now teaching videography at a public high school here in California and is making a lot more than I am.

Reactions: jeff Voigt
I’m in my 60s and I’m really doing my program part time, it’s doable. Have you thought about teaching with drones? If you have a couple years of experience in a related industry and can pull in drones in with it, there’s adult and career technical education high school classes you can get a CTE vocational credential to teach based on your professional experience only. My brother does it in videography and he doesn’t have a college degree, but he’s full-time employed now teaching videography at a public high school here in California and is making a lot more than I am.
Yeah, doesn’t really piggy 🐷 back off any experience I have.

My true intent here is to find out what the current state of job market is. I repeatedly hear “the futures unlimited, employers are desperate for anyone that can do structure inspection, etc. “. But listening to what other newbies like me are saying? That doesn’t ring true.

Yeah, doesn’t really piggy 🐷 back off any experience I have.

My true intent here is to find out what the current state of job market is. I repeatedly hear “the futures unlimited, employers are desperate for anyone that can do structure inspection, etc. “. But listening to what other newbies like me are saying? That doesn’t ring true.
“structure inspection” without any certifications sounds like a huge liability…

Last edited:
Reactions: G Saunders
So I posted this same question on Facebook. Let me preface it by saying I am NOT looking for help or tricks and tips on how to get gigs flying drones.

Quite simply I’m looking for opinions on what the status is of employment in the drone industry. The consensus on FB seemed to be that the market is overhyped and over saturated with pilots.

This of course goes against everything any drone training school or 107 test help site would want you to believe.

Timely question Laggard, I was thinking about it too.
I can answer from my experience as a CASA RePL, ReOC holder in Australia.

Yes the market is overwhelmingly loaded with all sort of "drone pilots".
I even started bumping up coincidently with another drone pilot in my regular exercise spot early in the morning where I haven't seen any one before for two years.
I am a one man business with a good experience as a pilot and as an engineer but not a marketing stuff.
I keep offering my services, getting some jobs but in a summary I'm not making a profit, compared to my expenses: CASA registration, public liability insurance, Council fees, National parks fee, Harbour Trust fee, Property Release forms...
Applying for a job as an UAV/RPA pilot in Australia... here is a typical answer ->

1695438429957.png1695438429957.png

Timely question Laggard, I was thinking about it too.
I can answer from my experience as a CASA RePL, ReOC holder in Australia.

Yes the market is overwhelmingly loaded with all sort of "drone pilots".
I even started bumping up coincidently with another drone pilot in my regular exercise spot early in the morning where I haven't seen any one before for two years.
I am a one man business with a good experience as a pilot and as an engineer but not a marketing stuff.
I keep offering my services, getting some jobs but in a summary I'm not making a profit, compared to my expenses: CASA registration, public liability insurance, Council fees, National parks fee, Harbour Trust fee, Property Release forms...
Applying for a job as an UAV/RPA pilot in Australia... here is a typical answer ->

View attachment 168509View attachment 168509
This is typical, the environmental consulting company I used to work for trained a bunch of their existing employees and got them all 107 certified in the US. The company uses drones to do mapping of wetlands, archaeological sites, making vegetation type maps, construction and mining footprint maps, and other types of resource mapping. The employees are typically biologists, environmental planners and archaeologists with prior expertise in their fields. Drones have become a basic tool in their trade, just as a computer, a camera and a handheld GPS unit are.

Last edited:
Which means there is no market for an individual like me. You have to be employed and then trained as an RPA pilot.
I was involved in a project to detect koalas using thermal drones. It ends up that the Firebrigades of Australia purchased the equpment, provided training to the employees and that's it.

Reactions: maggior
“structure inspection” without any certification s sounds like a huge liability…
True....unless you are in league with an architect or engineer who does not have the time nor inclination to become a drone operator himself, and to whom pictures and videos of buildings, dams, towers, etc. would be valuable....if you are looking for a job, it's like looking for any job....just keep looking until you find the job......but the particularly successful and / or wealthy people are the ones who thought outside the box and created their own niche (Jeff Bezos, Steve Jobs, Bill Gates).

This is a good point. I’m an adjunct professor at Carroll Community College (just NW of Baltimore). This is my third year of teaching. The school hired me and a few other commercial drone pilots to teach basic and advanced flight to credit and non-credit students. It’s a vibrant training program complete with ground school, coursework leading to completing the 107, then advanced flight. The school is also forming partnerships with corporations that need and will employ commercial pilots.

Let’s face it, it’s not all that hard to get 107 certified, insured, and equipped.
I should start by stating that I’m a Part 107 pilot, but if I was not, it’s even easier to just go to Best Buy and buy a drone and offer my service to my real estate friends. After all, most of them have no idea that there is a certification process for aerial imaging. IMO, this is why the market is saturated. Not because of there being too many licensed and qualified pilots, but because of illegal operations taking place with no recourse. Maybe RID will help, but I doubt it. Somehow the commercial customer base has to be educated as to the legalities involved in these services.

This whole discussion reminds me of trying to get gigs for my band back when I was doing that. We enjoyed playing music and just wanted to go out an play for people. The reality is that you are part of whatever industry you are trying to play in. Trying to get bar gigs? You are in the bar/restaurant industry. Trying to get wedding gigs? You are in the same industry as the videographers and photographers. Festival gigs? You are in the entertainment business. Trying to break into any of those areas required very different approaches.

I'd love to fun gear purchases (drone and handheld camera) with proceeds made from paid gigs, but I don't see that happening. Best gig I got so far (free of course) is taking photos of my sons freshman soccer team and posting them on social media. Drone doesn't even apply there.

This is a good point. I’m an adjunct professor at Carroll Community College (just NW of Baltimore). This is my third year of teaching. The school hired me and a few other commercial drone pilots to teach basic and advanced flight to credit and non-credit students. It’s a vibrant training program complete with ground school, coursework leading to completing the 107, then advanced flight. The school is also forming partnerships with corporations that need and will employ commercial pilots.
That’s great, where I live there are two schools that have very good programs. One is at MSJC.edu, which do you need to attend in person, and the program I am in is at Palomar College in San Marcos, California. It’s all online and in the evening, so working adults can take it. There’s a combination of drone technology, photogrammetry, cartography and GIS classes, but video production, and audio as well. I would think that Southern California has a lot of commercial opportunities for drone uses. A lot of these positions are listed on indeed.com.

A lot of their listings only pay up to $20 an hour, but some are full-time. If that’s the case, they should include benefits, but if they only hire you as a contractor that would not be good. Also check out the Amazon job that is currently posted:

I’m planning on continuing on after receiving my certificate from Palomar to get a masters degree from Oregon State University in Geography. That is another online program that works well for working adults, and they do not charge out-of-state tuition for online classes.

Last edited:
Reactions: JeremyMls and SethB
That’s great, where I live there are two schools that have very good programs. One is at MSJC.edu, which do you need to attend in person, and the program I am in is at Palomar College in San Marcos, California. It’s all online and in the evening, so working adults can take it. There’s a combination of drone technology, photogrammetry, cartography and GIS classes, but video production, and audio as well. I would think that Southern California has a lot of commercial opportunities for drone uses. A lot of these positions are listed on indeed.com.

A lot of their listings only pay up to $20 an hour, but some are full-time. If that’s the case, they should include benefits, but if they only hire you as a contractor that would not be good. Also check out the Amazon job that is currently posted:

I’m planning on continuing on after receiving my certificate from Palomar to get a masters degree from Oregon State University in Geography. That is another online program that works well for working adults, and they do not charge out-of-state tuition for online classes.
Thanks for the link. I was looking for something similar for evening classes. I hope it will be helpful.

Fly safe and fly smart. I am passionate about flying with my Mini 3 pro and writing research papers as a proud writer from https://edubirdie.com/top-writers to help students with their homework. For the last few years, I have been blogging and writing for one of the most prominent newspapers in my city. Life is Beautiful.

Last edited:
I should start by stating that I’m a Part 107 pilot, but if I was not, it’s even easier to just go to Best Buy and buy a drone and offer my service to my real estate friends. After all, most of them have no idea that there is a certification process for aerial imaging. IMO, this is why the market is saturated. Not because of there being too many licensed and qualified pilots, but because of illegal operations taking place with no recourse. Maybe RID will help, but I doubt it. Somehow the commercial customer base has to be educated as to the legalities involved in these services.

I whole heartedly disagree with the fact of Realtors not having any idea about UAS Certification. I'd say the # who genuinely "don't know" is less than 1%. The rest know but simply don't care of feel like they are above the law. Since 2015 the NAR has been trying to educate and notify REA that regulations exist for Drone use. The reason I know this I served on our local Board of Realtors for several years and the NAR was constantly writing articles and keeping abreast of the FAA regulations and how they pertain to REA.

Reactions: Markptate1962

The market is insanely saturated at the moment. There was a time when it was ripe for the devoted and creative UAS Operator to make a claim and do well with "Drone Only" type of work. Those days are long gone. Today you have a couple of options:

1) Learn to do something with the UAS that is very NICHE. Invest the time to learn to do things that "JohnBoy" isn't willing to do for mere beer $$. Mapping can be a very lucrative endeavor if there is a market in your area for such.

2) Build your "inventory" and offer more than "just" Drone services. Drone Only is the fastest way to going out of business especially in the Real Estate market. Most every "photographer" added Drone/UAS to their business card several years ago.

Do something that solves a problem for people and do it well.

Allen

There are a lot of wannabe's touting around for jobs, mostly in real estate photography, so that market may well be submerged, never mind saturated. The best way to guarantee work is to find a specialized 'niche' area, obtain the relevant certification (eg. Forensic photography/architectural/archeological photography) and then work hard to establish a reputation.

Reactions: Markptate1962
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CorvusWorks