DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

The depressing moment you realize you aren't going any further in your range test

JackL

Reactions
SO I flew into a perfect headwind all the way out there and was really temped to push my luck and attempt my return from the blue water, and after 20mph all the way there, the return at 31mph with the wind to my back was nice. Had 33% battery as I got back to my takeoff point. I just couldn't stand the thought of my MA2 going in the ocean enough to make 25,000ft today.

[MEDIA]

So you actually tried to do a max range test over water? Did I read that right?

Yes you did. Lots do. I stay over water 70% of my flights.

Reactions: VenomXts and JackL
Why didn't try to take beautiful shots, instead of making tests?

No sweat, he was riding along in the boat underneath it so he could keep VLOS. If things went bad, he could just land it in the boat.

• Haha
Reactions: Kyle76
The vast majority of flying I do is over the ocean. I was looking for 25,000 ft on this one and should have done it. I had a perfect wind situation. A forced battery landing earlier this week on land in my neighborhood has me a little spooked...lol

I don't see much difference in losing it in the ocean vs the swamp.

No sweat, he was riding along in the boat underneath it so he could keep VLOS. If things went bad, he could just land it in the boat.
I wish. I'll post the entire boring video and telemetry if someone wants to see it. I would''t mind checking out one of those detailed .dat log analyses on this flight to know if something is getting ready to fail since I made 10 open ocean flights like this over the weekend!

Why didn't try to take beautiful shots, instead of making tests?
Open ocean is pretty boring even though I love watching the video on my big TV since I do see many fish passing by that aren't visible on the tablet.. I was actually looking for migrating whales and sharks but would have taken a pod of dolphins or some turtles! Sadly the good areas start at 3000 meters and greater offshore in the FL Keys.

I found this guy on an earlier flight.

Reactions: Roy1957
Yes you did. Lots do. I stay over water 70% of my flights.

For me it is 95%. I get freaked out over land but over the ocean I am completely fearless!! Zero RF interference and LOS limited only by the horizon is the way these things should be flown. Not one freeze up or bit of lag during a 15 km flight is what I call living!!

Almost the same as just taking off and flying around in a big circle until the battery dies ..... ? (and timing it)!
Flying over a boat would be way more awesome than flying in a big circle in any case! I will build up enough nerve to fly from a boat at the reef soon enough! Ironically enough it will probably be gigantic circles!

Flying over a boat would be way more awesome than flying in a big circle in any case! I will build up enough nerve to fly from a boat at the reef soon enough! Ironically enough it will probably be gigantic circles!
Carry a big fish net ....... ????????

Reactions: JackL
The OP never said he was using a boat. That was suggested by another forum member. I don't think he was.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
suretybondsa