DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

The FAA comes-clean on how RID will work (it's bad news) - FAA video review/critique

Jam0ne

Reactions
Seems the FAA (subtle) intent is to "discourage hobby drone flying". Encourage Karensism. etc.
Under 250g drones will eventually require RID.

Watch the video.

So we give a little but the Push to BVLOS will be harder, and this is one more step that was needed for that to happen. Its like a Stock with bad news, it goes down becasue of worry and doomsday thoughts but than doubles it price a few days latter as the Main objective gets closer.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. Land on the Water an Capture the Storm.

Reactions: Torque
One HUGE difference in comparing license plates and RID - license plate info is NOT accessible to the public.
You are correct. Unfortunately that is somewhat irrelevant because a license plate can be tied to a person in some capacity and the license plate info is not "unobtainable" and it's a matter of perception since most drivers don't find any anonymity in their license plate and do not believe they have an expectation of privacy when it comes to displaying their license plate in public.

If you get the license plate number of a vehicle that was sitting outside your house at 3am as it speeds away, you don't feel as if you have nothing. License plate info is not "readily" accessible but it is ultimately accessible by everyone since there is no law that prohibits it and it can be used in other important ways besides just getting the name and the address tied to the license plate.

Reactions: Cafguy
He lost me in the example comparing license plates to RID. He said if you can drive your car around your huge ranch with no license plate on it, why can’t you fly your drone there as well. In fact, the FAA would have no problem if you put wheels on your drone and drove it around your property without Remote ID, but they have a problem if it goes in the air. Of course they do, just like they’d have a problem if your car had wings and managed to get off the ground. If you want to criticize RID, please propose arguments that make sense and have internal consistency. You own your land, but not the air above it.

Maybe we should take a poll here…How many Part 61 (“real airplane”) pilots are opposed to RID? While I haven’t flown in years, I remember how many things there are to think about, worry about, concentrate on and look for as you are flying WITHOUT having to worry about some clown who doesn’t know the rules or doesn’t care about them putting a hard-to-spot drone in the airspace around you.

Last edited:
He lost me in the example comparing license plates to RID. He said if you can drive your car around your huge ranch with no license plate on it, why can’t you fly your drone there as well. In fact, the FAA would have no problem if you put wheels on your drone and drove it around your property without Remote ID, but they have a problem if it goes in the air. Of course they do, just like they’d have a problem if your car had wings and managed to get off the ground. If you want to criticize RID, please propose arguments that make sense and have internal consistency. You own your land, but not the air above it.

Maybe we should take a poll here…How many Part 61 (“real airplane”) pilots are opposed to RID? While I haven’t flown in years, I remember how many things there are to think about, worry about, concentrate on and look for as you are flying WITHOUT having to worry about some clown who doesn’t know the rules or doesn’t care about them putting a hard-to-spot drone in the airspace around you.
Please remember there is a recreational component this new drone community which are a little bit different that flying an aircraft for recreational purposes.

Please remember there is a recreational component this new drone community which are a little bit different that flying an aircraft for recreational purposes.
I agree that flying drones is fun, but you shouldn't be able to endanger someone else with impunity. Someone who keeps violating the rules might be found with RID.

How many Part 61 (“real airplane”) pilots are opposed to RID? While I haven’t flown in years, I remember how many things there are to think about, worry about, concentrate on and look for as you are flying WITHOUT having to worry about some clown who doesn’t know the rules or doesn’t care about them putting a hard-to-spot drone in the airspace around you.
When you're flying your "real airplane", are you expecting to keep your cellphone on your lap with the Karen app open to alert you to all those hard-to-spot drones in the airspace around you?

When you're flying your "real airplane", are you expecting to keep your cellphone on your lap with the Karen app open to alert you to all those hard-to-spot drones in the airspace around you?
I am not sure what point you are trying to make. If everyone followed the VLOS rule, I don't think we'd have RID. I get the appeal of long distance flight, for fun or business, but you can't see what's around you.
No, since I would be above 400' there should be no conflict. But if the drone is miles from the launch point and controller, would they even know?

Reactions: Torque
I am not sure what point you are trying to make. If everyone followed the VLOS rule, I don't think we'd have RID. I get the appeal of long distance flight, for fun or business, but you can't see what's around you.

So you'd be fine if RID only kicked in when you're BVLOS? Say 3000-5000 feet away?

So you'd be fine if RID only kicked in when you're BVLOS? Say 3000-5000 feet away?
I haven’t flown my new Mini 3 Pro very much yet, and also not far from launch point, but I can tell it’ll be invisible to my eyes way before 3000 feet away. But, yeah, if it were technically possible to have it kick in at some distance (which might differ based on the size of the drone) AND if the drone were over 400 feet above terrain (not launch point) then I think that’d be a nice change, but that would add a lot of complexity. And it probably wouldn’t quiet the RID haters.

OK, I’m done with this thread.

I am not sure what point you are trying to make.
I'm just wondering why you think any Part 61 (real airplane) pilots would be in favour of RID. There's really no direct benefit as manned pilots won't be able to detect the short range RID signals in time for anything useful, and even then only if they have the app open on their cellphone. RID is not intended to be a traffic conflict mitigation device, like ADS-B.

Remote ID is intended for authorities on the ground to be able to identify drones and the location of their pilots in the event the drone intrudes on sensitive areas, or in the event the drone merely attracts the attention of the neighbourhood Karen.

Forcing every model airplane weighing more than 250 grams across the country to be fitted with RID modules, even when NOT flown near any sensitive areas, makes no sense at all.

I'm just wondering why you think any Part 61 (real airplane) pilots would be in favour of RID. There's really no direct benefit as manned pilots won't be able to detect the short range RID signals in time for anything useful, and even then only if they have the app open on their cellphone. RID is not intended to be a traffic conflict mitigation device, like ADS-B.

Remote ID is intended for authorities on the ground to be able to identify drones and the location of their pilots in the event the drone intrudes on sensitive areas, or in the event the drone merely attracts the attention of the neighbourhood Karen.

Forcing every model airplane weighing more than 250 grams across the country to be fitted with RID modules, even when NOT flown near any sensitive areas, makes no sense at all.
I think he made it clear what he meant in his posted reply to me. I paraphrase, he's all about law and order and keeping everybody accountable and the government needs to be the one to keep everyone in line and if this is what it takes....and yes, I took some liberties.

I agree that flying drones is fun, but you shouldn't be able to endanger someone else with impunity. Someone who keeps violating the rules might be found with RID.

Reactions: IFlied
100% agree with Xjet, as always.

For the moment I only fly DJI drones, my Mavic 3 has been broadcasting for several months, only had 2-3 karen incidents in 540 hours of flight time non-related with the broadcast... and I don't really care, I'm a photographer... and I'll keep flying my flying tripods no matter what.

BVLOS is the carrot being dangled to eventually regulate us out of the airspace aside from certain designated areas.
Agreed. Plus I bet it only gets rolled out to Part 107 first, for many years....before they even consider anyone else. Without so many violations today, not really going to matter much.

Reactions: thispilothere
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
keith Milligan