DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

The Lifthor V3 mount is definitely not worth $70

I just love when people state there degree or level of education. The best is when someone needs to say they are a Professional Photographer.
I love when people leave passive aggressive comments that add absolutely zero value to the conversation.

Self-proclaimed photographers are a dime a dozen. I'm confident in my area of knowledge and have no reservations about stating so. Had I not led with that information people may not have taken me seriously.

Call it what you will. Thermoplastic part design and manufacturing is my area of expertise, and this is my professional opinion. :)

There (sic) degree? :)
Are you implying that the Bachelors of Science degree I received is not legitimate? I'm curious as to how you arrived at that conclusion.

Also, you should have used "their" instead of "there". These things are taught in like 5th grade.

Given the pictures of this item that are out there - I'm surprised you couldn't identify the type of material used and avoid buying the item in the first place.
I'm surprised that you're surprised. Seems like a reasonable mistake for someone to make.

Thanks for another quality comment contributing to the thread. Gold star for today Thumbswayup

If I had one Lifthor V3 made out of cheap current materials, and one made from engineering grade polymers, which one do you think would last longer?
If I had a choice between buying an excellent tablet mount robustly made out of sufficiently strong material or buying a tablet mount that doesn't exist, which one do you think I'd buy? Because those are the choices. As I pointed out above, starting a business to make tablet mounts out of space-shuttle-quality materials is cost prohibitive.

So great, you got an undergrad degree from a small Wisconsin vocational school. And I'm sure "engineering grade polymers" are the greatest thing ever. The question is, does this tablet mount require engineering grade plastic to do its job? Why not go the extra step and just demand it be milled out of solid titanium instead?

The right material for the right job is what counts. You've done nothing to make your argument that these tablet mounts require engineering grade polymers to do their job.

Last edited:
If the Thor mount was made from any other polymer, plastic, resin sorry I am not sure of the term I am only a certified Tool & Die maker and machinist. I don't have a BS in polymers or a BS in grammer. But anyway with my 20yr fabricating and tool making background I believe the mount was made out of the best material for what it is. If it was made from another kind of plastic it would have to be injection molded and the tooling for something that big would cost thousands. For the amount he is selling would not be good for his bottom line. The thickness of the acrylic is more then enough to withstand an ipad, the angle it sits on doesn't put much pressure on the mount. Acrylic is widely used in the medical industry for it's strength and durability and many other industries. Yes it is bulky but the Mavic wasn't made to hold an ipad in that position. The website clearly tells you what it's made of anyway, If it were to be made from a solid piece of billet aluminium then anodized wouldn't be cost effective either.

Reactions: Mr. Salty
Machining SS is a pain in the but it's real gummy like aluminum make sure to use cutting fluid and sharp cutters if you have carbide that would be even better.

I set-up and run mostly Mori Seiki CNC lathes amongst others. Oxygen service parts so mainly all ss, aluminum, and brass.

I set-up and run mostly Mori Seiki CNC lathes amongst others. Oxygen service parts so mainly all ss, aluminum, and brass.
I used to do all manual mill work now i just run a CNC CO2 electric laser and only cut 304 ss flat stock. My previous job a ran a Swiss lathe and all we cut was titanium making screws for the medical industrie. I wish I still had to do setups but now I pretty much push buttons all day. I

Reactions: NinjaNut
I used to do all manual mill work now i just run a CNC CO2 electric laser and only cut 304 ss flat stock. My previous job a ran a Swiss lathe and all we cut was titanium making screws for the medical industrie. I wish I still had to do setups but now I pretty much push buttons all day. I

I hear ya.....I got my start out of the Army in ‘77....so yeah, manual boring mills was my introduction. Running aircraft titanium cases that had about a hundred operations....talk about a workout!! 2 1/2 hr. part was cookin! ;)

I hear ya.....I got my start out of the Army in ‘77....so yeah, manual boring mills was my introduction. Running aircraft titanium cases that had about a hundred operations....talk about a workout!! 2 1/2 hr. part was cookin! ;)
Thank you for your service now pls go mill a 24k gold thor mount. Wow I did my machinist apprenticeship in 1995. You were getting out of the army and I was just learning how to walk lol.

Thank you for your service now pls go mill a 24k gold thor mount. Wow I did my machinist apprenticeship in 1995. You were getting out of the army and I was just learning how to walk lol.

LOL....you’re most welcome. Wish I had that chunk of 24k gold....I sure as heck wouldn’t be milling on it! ;)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pleopard