DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

The Massacare of the Bees

StrayaMavic

Reactions
Not a hippy or a bee expert, but I do care a bit about these little suckers. Here in Australia they aren't "Killer Bees" they just sting a bit when they try to give you hugs and honey.

Yesterday I was flying in a new park, and went right up did a pano then as I was about to come down the Girlfriend "lost control" of her spark, so I went to the rescue and hit RTH on my drone and went and helped her.

If I had not used RTH I would not have decended so slowly as to retain the mini swarm of bees that seemed to be attacking my drone (again in Australia, our bees don't swarm unless a hive in under imminent attack, this was a highly unusual sight).

I also noticed that they were committing Kamikazi against the props, soon a swarm of 30 or so was 0. Nothing I could do to shake them (I tried).

Once I had landed I looked at the body of the AC and saw a very familiar splatter pattern across the drone. I had seen this on multiple flights before however not this bad and I had always chalked it up to flies or something.

My theory is (and please feel free to weigh in) that they "heard" or "felt" the vibration created by the drone and assumed it was an enemy swarm that was attackiing them, so they went into battle. And when I am normally controlling the drone I decend much faster and obviously lose the swarms. I also tested the height at which I attract them and it seems to be around the 100m mark.

I am definitely going to be doing faster decents now. I was also using the newer more efficient props, I might do some experimentation with the original DJI Mavic Pro props and see if it has the same effect.

Reactions: KentA and _supdns
Not a hippy or a bee expert, but I do care a bit about these little suckers. Here in Australia they aren't "Killer Bees" they just sting a bit when they try to give you hugs and honey.

Yesterday I was flying in a new park, and went right up did a pano then as I was about to come down the Girlfriend "lost control" of her spark, so I went to the rescue and hit RTH on my drone and went and helped her.

If I had not used RTH I would not have decended so slowly as to retain the mini swarm of bees that seemed to be attacking my drone (again in Australia, our bees don't swarm unless a hive in under imminent attack, this was a highly unusual sight).

I also noticed that they were committing Kamikazi against the props, soon a swarm of 30 or so was 0. Nothing I could do to shake them (I tried).

Once I had landed I looked at the body of the AC and saw a very familiar splatter pattern across the drone. I had seen this on multiple flights before however not this bad and I had always chalked it up to flies or something.

My theory is (and please feel free to weigh in) that they "heard" or "felt" the vibration created by the drone and assumed it was an enemy swarm that was attackiing them, so they went into battle. And when I am normally controlling the drone I decend much faster and obviously lose the swarms. I also tested the height at which I attract them and it seems to be around the 100m mark.

I am definitely going to be doing faster decents now. I was also using the newer more efficient props, I might do some experimentation with the original DJI Mavic Pro props and see if it has the same effect.
I commend your care for nature. Id forward your question to bee experts snd scientists, they may be interested in your experience.

It's possible the sound is like a giant bee attack, but I'd guess one or two got hit and released a pheromone which caused other bees to instinctively react and fight off the 'attacker'.
If it happens near you take care bringing it back covered in bee parts.

Reactions: StrayaMavic
It's been long known that our R/C aircraft (long before they were called Drones) attract certain insects now and again. Here in the Southeastern US (probably many other places too) we have a large and ever increasing population of Carpenter/Boring Bees (often mistaken for our docile BumbleBee). For whatever reason they can't help but try to attack our R/C aircraft and it always results in a massive cleanup process after the fact.

We've witnessed this with bees, dragon flies, butterflies and many other insects that you wouldn't suspect would be aggressive. I've had it happen with nitro powered helo, electic helo and many times with various size and designs of MultiRotors. My guess is it's the beat of the prop(s) in the air mimic some known predator sounds and causes them to go into attack mode.

For the record, honey bees will "Swarm" in great numbers during warmer months as the colony expands and needs more room. Approximately 1/2 of the colony and the "Old" queen will leave the hive as a massive SWARM looking to make a new home. It's very impressive to see this in action but it usually entails many THOUSAND bees and they are extremely docile and almost "drunk" acting from carrying as much honey as they can in their stomach to re-stock the new hive. Many bee keepers will "collect" the swarm by hand because the colony is so docile. You'd have to do something drastic to invoke a protective response from a healthy "Swarm" of honey bees.

I think its the sound, I have now got a yellow skin and will see if that makes any difference
The world's biggest drone photo and video sharing platform | SkyPixel.com
I think you may be surprised just how much the color yellow may affect your drone. I do not have or have ever had a yellow drone. However i have and do own a yellow roadster.. i am constantly amazed at how much the color yellow attracts insects.. including bees. Or maybe it's just me not wanting anything on my paint.. lol..

Reactions: KentA
I think you may be surprised just how much the color yellow may affect your drone. I do not have or have ever had a yellow drone. However i have and do own a yellow roadster.. i am constantly amazed at how much the color yellow attracts insects.. including bees. Or maybe it's just me not wanting anything on my paint.. lol..
the yellow skin is mainly for identification, there is quite often three mavics in the same field at my local club.

Reactions: ToddR
I am a very new Mavic owner. so obviously I have not flown enough to have this issue. I will not be happy if this does happen. I must admit I am a die hard bee lover.. Bee's.. not wasps... their just ********.

snip

For the record, honey bees will "Swarm" in great numbers during warmer months as the colony expands and needs more room. Approximately 1/2 of the colony and the "Old" queen will leave the hive as a massive SWARM looking to make a new home. It's very impressive to see this in action but it usually entails many THOUSAND bees and they are extremely docile and almost "drunk" acting from carrying as much honey as they can in their stomach to re-stock the new hive. Many bee keepers will "collect" the swarm by hand because the colony is so docile. You'd have to do something drastic to invoke a protective response from a healthy "Swarm" of honey bees.

They're docile because they don't have a hive with brood and honey stores to defend. And you're quite correct, it takes some serious work to really get them riled up.

Great! Now I'm nervous about angry bees following my drone back!

Reactions: ToddR
typically to evade things like birds, and even bees, it's flying directly up that works best. then forward and out of the way.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne